Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

WSJ: Why Today’s Musicians Are More Into Fashion Than...Music

hankhatesyouall

Featured Posts

hankhatesyouall

Other stars who’ve conquered Billboard have been actively rebranding themselves as social-media-savvy fashion plates. In March, Justin Bieber announced that he was stepping back from music to focus on family and his health, but has also found time to catalog his many outfits on Instagram. “My style is impeccable,” he captioned a post showing his heavily-tattooed frame in an unbuttoned shirt, his khakis pushed low enough to reveal his underwear’s “Calvin Klein” waistband. For other additions to his feed, Mr. Beiber just photographs his clothes laid out on the floor like a ’tween organizing his outfit before the first day of school.

Stars today often use Instagram to tease or market other products outside of their music, said Upscale Hype’s Mr. Onyia—creating more ways for fans to connect to the artists between albums.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-todays-musicians-are-more-into-fashion-than-music-11569250180?mod=rsswn

• Admin locked and unlocked this topic
Lilmonzter

Well evidence seem to point  in that direction doesn't it?! People care more abot the bling, they're blingy 🤨

source.gif

Sing C'est la vie 

FentyGa
Just now, Bio said:

Because they’re not artists, they’re popstars. 

important difference, but let’s also acknowledge that people can fit into both categories (i.e gaga, madonna)

gagaschickens

cause they just love bling not the music

リのひ ᄃム刀'イ 尺乇ムり イんノ丂, ᄃム刀 リのひ?

Because that's just what makes them a modern pop star. They're fitting into aesthetics, and people are watching their videos for the looks, it doesn't matter what the song sounds like because it was likely not written by them in the first place

Well, while I’m not silly and I know it’s for money, I do think in Gaga and Rihanna’s case it’s more than that cause they make makeup with a message of inclusion and self-expression and they are the only two I see a genuine drive for that (but again, I’m not innocent enough to think they are selling makeup just cause they the modern Mother Theresas of Self-Esteem)

A Hybrid

To be fair, there have always been those artists who seemed to be more into fashion than music and made the most amazing music regardless. David Bowie and Elton John for example.

No family’s safe when I sashay

6 minutes ago, A Hybrid said:

To be fair, there have always been those artists who seemed to be more into fashion than music and made the most amazing music regardless. David Bowie and Elton John for example.

Very different cases because they used fashion as a mean of expression, criticism and art. Not as a way to sell clothes and make money.

Reginald

All style, no substance :oprah:

Pretty faces and fancy clothes probably make more money than a good song, sadly 

BlackSwan Cat & Mouse

President Biden

its bc the fashion community is driven and demanding of sheer QUALITY meanwhile Post Malone tops the charts

I got drunk

Chromaticunt

The simple answer is there's no money in music anymore. Once upon a time records and CDs were big business, but now that artists make practically nothing from streaming, touring is their only income. But the reliance on touring means they have to work extra hard, which is why so many artists are having to cancel shows and tours  because of the physical and mental strain.

The solution is to branch out into other businesses. Fashion and make-up are the most obvious choices. Popstars are ultimately money makers so they have to find other means of business if they want to survive the streaming era.

That's why I don't blame Gaga for doing Haus Labs anymore. I was surprised at first, but I see why she did it now. She can't tour like she used to, and she can't make money from selling albums, so going into make-up (which is a hugely profitable industry) was a sensible business decision. And at the end of the day, she is a businesswoman with a bunch of employees within her brand.

A variety of reasons, I think. Some may just be bored with music, others just simply want to branch off into other endeavors to have under their belt, some want a new challenge, a few might want to be in a more lucrative industry and I'd say that most do it because they're stuck musically and can't come up with something worth releasing which they justify by any of the above reasons.

Archived