Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

BRITs consider making awards gender neutral

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

The BRIT awards have been gender segregated since 1977 and just a week after Sam Smith came out as non-binary and asked to be addressed by they/them pronouns, the committee have announced that future awards may be gender neutral. The upcoming 2020 awards will remain the same but future ceremonies may well be different:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7492727/Brit-Awards-bosses-consider-making-categories-gender-neutral.html

This is exactly where I worried this would lead. These committees know that there aren't enough non-binary acts to warrant a category of their own so the only solution is award neutrality. Which now means that females, who already struggle for a piece of the pie in the music industry as it is, will now have to compete against men in the same category, meaning women will be less likely to win in a society that's still undeniably sexist. I actually saw a comment that said something I'd never thought of too - award neutrality will make it much easier to predict who will win. For example, if a man has won for the last 2 years in a row, chances are, a woman will be selected next. Not only does this take the excitement out of award shows but it also means that either gender may end up winning purely to end a run of wins by the opposite gender and not for the quality of their work. Making award shows even more of a farce and fix than they already are. My only hope is that if this decision does go ahead, it'll last a year or two, get a wave of negative reception and they'll have no option but to go back to the way things were. Changing tradition to suit one person who objects is never a good business move.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About time 

5 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

This is exactly where I worried this would lead. These committees know that there aren't enough non-binary acts to warrant a category of their own so the only solution is award neutrality. Which now means that females, who already struggle for a piece of the pie in the music industry as it is, will now have to compete against men in the same category, meaning women will be less likely to win in a society that's still undeniably sexist. I actually saw a comment that said something I'd never thought of too - award neutrality will make it much easier to predict who will win. For example, if a man has won for the last 2 years in a row, chances are, a woman will be selected next. Not only does this take the excitement out of award shows but it also means that either gender may end up winning purely to end a run of wins by the opposite gender and not for the quality of their work. Making award shows even more of a farce and fix than they already are. My only hope is that if this decision does go ahead, it'll last a year or two, get a wave of negative reception and they'll have no option but to go back to the way things were. Changing tradition to suit one person who objects is never a good business move.

What even :triggered:

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

Yeah, let’s change the gender of an award just because of 1 person. Lmao.

This will ultimately affect women. Gendered awards became a thing so women can get their own representation and credit, without having to compete with men. 

That also means less awards though... I liked that they split it because more people would be awarded for their work but whatever. Gotta do what you gotta do like the grammys did. 

Musery

FfFfFfFF

I think is theoretically a great decision and not because of the Sam Smith drama. I don't see the point in diving artists into two groups based on their genders but in practice I hope it won't translate into less female wins.

Miracle
1 minute ago, Ryusei said:

That also means less awards though... I liked that they split it because more people would be awarded for their work but whatever. Gotta do what you gotta do like the grammys did. 

They should give genre-specific awards. That's why GRAMMYs work: they are not gendered but still give a crazy amount of awards

Chromatislaps

... :selena: just make an extra category ffs.... :saladga: I'm not even sure what gender neutral awards would help with... it means just less people to give awards to, since men/women and non binary people would be mixed under one category :messga:

ElectricKing

Please don't do this.

Also has everyone forgot - men and women have different voices - it's nice to categorise them differently. How can we compare them? 

Because of the voice, men and women sing different songs. Some songs are made more for women and some more for men. 

Can't they base the awards on Sex rather than gender to solve it? Sam is still male sex assigned so wouldn't that mean he would still be in the Male category, rather than having them as gendered?

Sorcerer

I don't like this. The intention is good, but if this happens, there will be less award winners and more losers. Less people will be recognized. Scariest scenario is when straight white men dominate that category.

Archived