💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

In retrospect: What was so special about the Bad Romance video?

tomsches

Featured Posts

tomsches

I remember that when I first saw the video in 2009 I was shocked and blown away and for the longest time I was like: this must be one of the best and craziest music videos ever. It came to no surprise to me that it won so many awards at the vmas.

However, since then, music videos have changed and I just watched it a few minutes ago and it kind of felt... normal to me? Like, if Rihanna had done this video in 2009, would it have received the same reaction? So I was asking myself: what exactly made it that special in the first place? X-EMPLIFY!

Give it to me hoes!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything ! the fashion, the whole concept, the crazy eyes ! the video was so ahead of its time and stood out against basic pop videos that pretty much looked all the same.

It's theatrical, it's glamorous, it's well-filmed, it has a timeless quality to it. It doesn't rely heavily on green screens or cheap effects that look dated in a few years. It was treated like an event because it was an event. It was part story part fashion film and it helped cement her status as more than just a weird girl that makes "sexy pop songs". She wasn't afraid to be visceral in it. Francis Lawrence did an amazing job capturing the bizarre-ness of Bad Romance and translate it well visually. 

It's iconic and it's Gaga and that's that. 

i guess it's mix of it all at that particular time. it was all about fashion and the oddness, it was so ahead of its time. it'll certainly be featuring most iconic mv of all time.

It’s like what Billie Eilish is doing rn, but better! The GP were shocked and stunned the music video was very unorthodox at the time and very unexpected. The same way the youth are shook at the shock factor of Billies videos, the same was for Bad Romance! (Once again, but better!:green:)

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

Erich Johnson
4 minutes ago, Talenti said:

It’s like what Billie Eilish is doing rn, but better! The GP were shocked and stunned the music video was very unorthodox at the time and very unexpected. The same way the youth are shook at the shock factor of Billies videos, the same was for Bad Romance! (Once again, but better!:green:)

STAY AWAY FROM HER 

GET A TASTE

13 minutes ago, Talenti said:

It’s like what Billie Eilish is doing rn,

Gaga saweetie I'm so sorry

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

PunkTheFunk

I remember watching it back in 2009 and feeling shocked and uncomfortable, but knew that I was witnessing greatness :giveup: I got the same feeling when I watched the MV for "This Is America".

Because it goes the line of weird and accessible really well. It’s glamorous, weird, sexy, and paired with a fantastic track.

Contrast with, say, Alejandro which is my personal favorite but is kind of plainly freakier and less *traditionally* (normie) sexy. It’s kink and fetish and not as “normal”. People were more turned off by that. BR-Ga wasn’t super queer and dark like Alejandro-Ga. She was dark but not too dark, glamorous and gaudy, but still very very mainstream pretty even though she was using that subversively. Basically, she found that sweet spot of weird and accessible that made it resonate enormously.

Sickness

Because music videos were in a lame whatever phase where it was either a party in someone's backyard, simple studio shots, or black and white ballad montages. Paparazzi caught attention for being a mini movie format and having a concept, but Bad Romance felt like a cultural event because she was bigger than ever, the single sounded like nothing else on the radio and people didn't know how "crazy" she could get. 

It was the Kubrick references that elevated it over everything imo. The clean white aesthetic with dark elements.

Back then the scene with the CGI'd eyes was a little controversial because it got associated with some lenses that people in Japan used or something and it was harmful for the eyes. Dumb stuff, but she was literally everywhere and on the news for whatever reason they could find lmao.

Archived