💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

AHS: 1984 receives critical acclaim

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

Tomato meter: 96% based on 24 critic reviews.
Critical consensus: An ode to the slasher, "Camp Redwood" settles in to its classic 80s backdrop with a stellar cast, leaving the door open for an ambitious season.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/american_horror_story/s09/e01

Ron Hogan of Den of Geek gave the episode a 5/5, saying, "The script is bolstered by solid performances all around, and Bradley Buecker's strong direction reinforces both positive aspects of the show. The opening credits are a thing of '80s beauty, and Buecker must have been studying the '80s slasher playbook because he nails the tone and shooting style, right down to recreation of some of the flaws of the genre." He concluded his review by adding that "As solidly as Roanoke nailed reality television, 1984 nails the slasher sub-genre. For the most part, it avoids winking at the camera, Matthew Morrison's Trevor aside, and the episode works as a great setup for what's to come."

Nylon: At this point, there is something ironically cozy about white-knuckling and nail-nibbling to Ryan Murphy's horror anthology series; it's become a welcome part of my autumn ritual—and it lived up to all of my expectations. ...One of the pleasures of the slasher genre is that the audience usually knows what dangers are at hand, even as the characters remain unaware. This leads to a very specific kind of anticipatory terror, one that keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. And that's exactly what 1984 does.

Matt Fowler of IGN gave the episode a 8.1 out of 10, with a positive review. He said, "American Horror Story: 1984 kicks things off with a story designed to dive back into '80s horror and remind us how fun and freaky the slasher genre can be. For the first time in a while, a bunch of decent (ish) characters are up on the chopping block, instead of the show's usual parade of vicious and cruel creeps. This suggests the season won't be a harsh hornet's nest full of nasty nightmares, like many previous installments have been, but instead a medium-spicy ride full of crowd-pleasing chills."

AV Club: American Horror Story is fun again with 1984.

Polygon:  American Horror Story 1984 is trying very hard not to be American Horror Story. New cast, new tone, new decade. But after the lore-heavy Apocalypse, 1984 is a deep breath, a step away from the tangled web of mythology that creator Ryan Murphy accidentally spun. With the absence of mainstay series regulars, particularly Evan Peters, who said in April he was “sitting this one out,” AHS is using 1984 as an excuse to reinvent itself in a way it hasn’t in ages.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luckyanderson

Wow. I personally was unimpressed with how much was told as opposed to shown in regards to the show taking place in 1980s but power to them. :applause:

Bradley

Lots of critics are appreciating how they're not trying to top the previous seasons by matching how insane and over-the-top they were. The cast is simpler this time round but surprisingly was praised by the critics. I personally enjoyed the dynamic and chemistry between this group of people, it's a fresh take on AHS, which in the past always zoomed in on Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates to show off their acting. I think there are still many different personalities in this season but they're all grounded characters in a way, so that might be a good thing.

I particularly love how Emma Roberts is finally not playing a b*tch, it was fresh to see her play a decent human being for the first time. Billie Lourd seems more confident than ever and she has a very dominant presence in this one, not under the shadow of Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates' usual matriarch presences. Leslie Grossman is surprisingly eerie and god-fearing? Cody Fern is once again in charge of the whole team and sassy as usual.

Overall, I think we can expect a more grounded AHS season - no bombs and nuclears, no magic and spirits, no revived ghosts talking to you in your sleep. Still a lot of blood for sure tho. I think they just want to toy with the genre this time and the critics seem to dig it.

It's always like that after the 1st episode and then it goes downhill :laughga:

I didn't watch yet, but is there a gay character?

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

HotLikeMexico
40 minutes ago, River said:

Always 

monketsharona
47 minutes ago, River said:

Billie Lourd character is most probably bisexual. But no gay male character

monketsharona
7 minutes ago, Levine said:

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the first episode! Like I didn't expect it. Best first episode in ages for the ASH saga.

Same here ! Loved the vibes. If they follow that road all along the season it may become one of my all time AHS seasons

crisTEAne

i didn't love the episode, but i kinda enjoyed its unexpected, for lack of a better word, "subtlety." 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Bradley
1 hour ago, River said:

Cody Fern is always ambiguous in that sense. We don't really know if he likes girls or boys in this show but apparently he dated Montana Duke.

it's what she deserves 

"I heard if you record Gaga snoring and play it backward it sounds like an act. 2 unreleased."

Giorno Giovanna

i hope it takes an unexpected twist, at some point

like in roanoke where it was a docu at first but then became something else

ă“ăźă‚žăƒ§ăƒ«ăƒŽă‚žăƒ§ăƒŽă‚ĄăƒłăƒŠć€ąăŒă‚ă‚‹

Archived