💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Unreleased songs, do artists have rights to put them out?

Lighter

Featured Posts

Lighter

Can we have more Stuck On Fvcking Yous on soundcloud/youtube?

ariana also put out voodoo doll and og honeymoon avenue of soundcloud.

how does this work? Is she allowed?

Don't quote me on this but I think she'd have to reach out to some of the parties involved on the songs (writers and producers) to get the sign off before she could release anything. 

Lighter
9 minutes ago, StaticEN said:

Don't quote me on this but I think she'd have to reach out to some of the parties involved on the songs (writers and producers) to get the sign off before she could release anything. 

Oh so probably the only ones safes to release are the ones she worked on all by herself

Defmix100

I'm always interested in this, I was wondering if it comes down to intent of what the song is made for originally so if songs like Stuck On F*cking You and Stache were always intended to just be fun songs not made for an album then she can release them

voidfigure

Guys no, they don't have the rights to put unreleased songs out. Music and entertainment business is really complex and boring to explain, just know that if she has unreleased songs worked under her old management she must pay a lot by herself to have the files, let alone put it out. Brooklyn Nights getting "released" must have been some kind of deal between interscope and her old manager (who probably got paid more money than any of us will ever see in our lives). DJWS was allowed to play Tea instrumental because he made it and is allowed to play it for a limited bars number (approximately 1 minute), but again he couldn't play the vocals because deal stuff 

30 minutes ago, Defmix100 said:

I'm always interested in this, I was wondering if it comes down to intent of what the song is made for originally so if songs like Stuck On F*cking You and Stache were always intended to just be fun songs not made for an album then she can release them

I think yes, they are just fun songs not officially registered or mastered or intended to be part of an album. 

FfFfFfFF

If the songs are not her sole creation, no. That would make her benefit from the work of other songwriters that wouldn't get any money from it. 

Defmix100
16 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

If the songs are not her sole creation, no. That would make her benefit from the work of other songwriters that wouldn't get any money from it. 

I agree but she wouldn't benefit in that she wouldn't make any money from them

FfFfFfFF
4 minutes ago, Defmix100 said:

I agree but she wouldn't benefit in that she wouldn't make any money from them

It's in the end the act of keeping your fanbase alimented with new music. If she did that (without the other songwriters agreement) she would benefit from the work of other people that wouldn't get any financial reward. Especially if it's a dry period and let's say releasing free music would save her some fans, that a way of benefiting.

Defmix100
2 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

It's in the end the act of keeping your fanbase alimented with new music. If she did that (without the other songwriters agreement) she would benefit from the work of other people that wouldn't get any financial reward. Especially if it's a dry period and let's say releasing free music would save her some fans, that a way of benefiting.

So this was another thing you had me wondering, do producers/songwriters not get paid for the act of the work as well? Is it 100% just royalties so they could spend months on a song which is never released and not get a penny? I thought they were paid for their initial time in which case they have benefited more than the artist for unreleased work

Lighter
39 minutes ago, voidfigure said:

I think yes, they are just fun songs not officially registered or mastered or intended to be part of an album. 

Wait ok so, unregistered songs (she made on the protools or sum by herself/friends) are ok to put out?

FfFfFfFF
2 minutes ago, Defmix100 said:

So this was another thing you had me wondering, do producers/songwriters not get paid for the act of the work as well? Is it 100% just royalties so they could spend months on a song which is never released and not get a penny? I thought they were paid for their initial time in which case they have benefited more than the artist for unreleased work

I believe they get paid - probably by the label - only for the writing sessions! And then come the royalities if the song makes the album or if it becomes a single. I remember reading things that implied this but I can't remember one in particular though. 

Lighter
45 minutes ago, voidfigure said:

just know that if she has unreleased songs worked under her old management she must pay a lot by herself to have the files, let alone put it out. Brooklyn Nights getting "released" must have been some kind of deal between interscope and her old manager

Specifically, like Troy/Rob owns them? And they can go put it out whenever they want?

Dominic

I thought the labels own them a majority of the time so if it were leaked/unofficially released then it becomes worthless and the label cannot sell the lyric, beats etc to someone else. I imagine Gaga has songs she creates for fun and could possibly release but a lot of the time the label "owns" the artists voice. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

voidfigure
2 hours ago, Lighter said:

Wait ok so, unregistered songs (she made on the protools or sum by herself/friends) are ok to put out?

After an agreement with the label. When you are as famous as Lady Gaga, every word you sing is potential money

voidfigure
2 hours ago, Lighter said:

Specifically, like Troy/Rob owns them? And they can go put it out whenever they want?

Yes, they own them commercially, not properly like they have a USB drive full of unreleased songs / work bits

Archived