new video

Beyoncé Presents: Making The Gift

Ghost Face

Featured Posts

LilyLark
3 hours ago, Pablo said:

That really changed my mind :oops:

Why do people hate on Beyoncé so much? 

Most don't, tbf. It's the same handful of people who hate on her, not the majority of posters...and some are mostly snarky towards the Beyhive. And I say this as a Bey fan who gets annoyed with the negativity directed at her on GGD. It's more twitter where the ugly stan wars break out.

Edit: of course some of the hate at Bey is racist, but again GGD has done a fairly good job at kicking off most of the racists. It's twitter where the ugly sexist racist trolls lurk for the most part.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LilyLark said:

It's interesting this is on ABC—we know she has a multi pic deal with Netflix so she clearly has multiple documentaries/projects in the works. Now I'm wondering what the h*ll she'll do for Netflix, next, after Homecoming. Something for the next album...a visual album or a doc about making it?:

She HAS to have a visual album for Netflix it would be foolish not to!:giveup: so much potential!

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

LilyLark
Just now, Talenti said:

She HAS to have a visual album for Netflix it would be foolish not to!:giveup: so much potential!

Kind of hope she goes into directing more if it's a visual album—she has a real eye for it. I was impressed with what she did in Homecoming. I feel like B7 probably isn't coming for a while, though.. A lot of the rumors about it turned out to be rumors about The Gift.

I just want to say, the documentary was great!

She looked STUNNING. You can tell she’s happy being a mom and having a family! I loved her explanation for every track she described the album perfectly: “sonic cinema” The album literally takes you along the journey of Lion King and the spirit/life of Africa in the best way possible:giveup:

It captures the beauty and elegance of Nature, tradition, love, and most importantly melanin.

I don’t care that the album is a “flop” what’s important to me is that songs like Brown Skin Girl are raising dark skin girls and women to realize and accept their true beauty and potential.

Africans and African Americans possess a beauty and magical essence that can’t be replicated... They’re just so amazing and talented that’s what important about this album/era to me. That their beauty is captured, to show the hundreds/thousands years of oppression is wrong, dark skin should NEVER be brought down, but praised as it should be. I’m so happy to have discovered these African artists I think they’re very talented and I’m glad that Bey put them on the album!:wub:

Also Blue is so grown up idk why I got emotional but my crazy stan a$$ was shook at how old she’s gotten she’s so cute and funny:giveup:

This post is a mess assjdksksj don’t mind me it’s late:poot: In conclusion, the documentary was nice and I love her directing. The visuals and bts for the documentary was so pleasing to watch also I can’t stress the fact how GORGEOUS she is! Ok I’m done :poot:

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

3 hours ago, Pablo said:

That really changed my mind :oops:

Why do people hate on Beyoncé so much? 

Actually, don't hate her music. Just hate her as an artist and a person. She's conceited, narcissistic, up her herself but most of all, gets far too much acclaim when she's not due. Too much other talent out there not reaching the same peaks

Antonio

Lmao you guys are BITTER with a capital everything :lmao:

𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞

StrawberryBlond
6 hours ago, Talenti said:

I don’t care that the album is a “flop” what’s important to me is that songs like Brown Skin Girl are raising dark skin girls and women to realize and accept their true beauty and potential.

Africans and African Americans possess a beauty and magical essence that can’t be replicated... They’re just so amazing and talented that’s what important about this album/era to me. That their beauty is captured, to show the hundreds/thousands years of oppression is wrong, dark skin should NEVER be brought down, but praised as it should be. I’m so happy to have discovered these African artists I think they’re very talented and I’m glad that Bey put them on the album!:wub:

While I have no problem with a song being made that's accepting of dark skin, I just knew it would have problematic elements and it does. First off, brown tends to be the word of choice for south Asian skin, so using it to refer to black skin is more than a bit confusing and like it's for one group when it's actually for another. Secondly, no one's questioned the "skin just like pearls" line and how it's obviously, factually incorrect, seeing as pearls are a milky, creamy white colour. And to call any skin colour "the best thing in the world" is a huge eyebrow raiser. No race should be held up above another. And then Beyonce's lines about "she need an Oscar for that pretty dark skin" suggests that race alone should warrant an award and seeing as that's exactly what blacks were suggesting has been going on at the Oscars for years from a white perspective, it's extremely short-sighted to put this in a song. Even "melanin too dark to throw her shade" is more than a bit cringey. The rest of it is a bit better but it's all offset by these issues. But of course, it was held up as an empowerment anthem and none of this was criticised. I notice how you say that Africans have a beauty and magical essence that can't be replicated and are amazing and talented...don't you think this is quite unusual to make large assumptions of a race, even if it's positive? Whites aren't actually raised to think our race is amazing and people would look at us weirdly if we made such huge pronouncements about our race like that. It's generally considered a big no-no for us to view our race as something that makes us beautiful or defines our personalities. I'm just pointing out where the cultural difference comes in and why there's a lack of connection when songs like this are presented to non-blacks. I daresay this is the reason why Beyonce has struggled with a global audience for the last few years and has particularly lost her foothold in Asia because she's seen as an artist for black people now and the rest of us feel left out and like we shouldn't even be listening to her music now because it's clearly not for us.

6 hours ago, LadyHaha said:

Really? 

How many writers though?

I counted 50, including Beyonce herself. Some of these writers are just there because their song was used as a sample, they weren't actually working on the album or had anything to do with it, I believe. But I don't know exactly how many of them were sample credits and who were actually part of the Lemonade writing team.

8 hours ago, Rio said:

Just hate her as an artist and a person. She's conceited, narcissistic, up her herself but most of all, gets far too much acclaim when she's not due.

Are we talking about the same Beyonce?

12 hours ago, LilyLark said:

It's interesting this is on ABC—we know she has a multi pic deal with Netflix so she clearly has multiple documentaries/projects in the works. Now I'm wondering what the h*ll she'll do for Netflix, next, after Homecoming. Something for the next album...a visual album or a doc about making it?:

It’s ABC because Disney owns ABC and the Lion King movie. So it’s all under the same company banner :) 

KingRedd
7 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

While I have no problem with a song being made that's accepting of dark skin, I just knew it would have problematic elements and it does. First off, brown tends to be the word of choice for south Asian skin, so using it to refer to black skin is more than a bit confusing and like it's for one group when it's actually for another. Secondly, no one's questioned the "skin just like pearls" line and how it's obviously, factually incorrect, seeing as pearls are a milky, creamy white colour. And to call any skin colour "the best thing in the world" is a huge eyebrow raiser. No race should be held up above another. And then Beyonce's lines about "she need an Oscar for that pretty dark skin" suggests that race alone should warrant an award and seeing as that's exactly what blacks were suggesting has been going on at the Oscars for years from a white perspective, it's extremely short-sighted to put this in a song. Even "melanin too dark to throw her shade" is more than a bit cringey. The rest of it is a bit better but it's all offset by these issues. But of course, it was held up as an empowerment anthem and none of this was criticised. I notice how you say that Africans have a beauty and magical essence that can't be replicated and are amazing and talented...don't you think this is quite unusual to make large assumptions of a race, even if it's positive? Whites aren't actually raised to think our race is amazing and people would look at us weirdly if we made such huge pronouncements about our race like that. It's generally considered a big no-no for us to view our race as something that makes us beautiful or defines our personalities. I'm just pointing out where the cultural difference comes in and why there's a lack of connection when songs like this are presented to non-blacks. I daresay this is the reason why Beyonce has struggled with a global audience for the last few years and has particularly lost her foothold in Asia because she's seen as an artist for black people now and the rest of us feel left out and like we shouldn't even be listening to her music now because it's clearly not for us.

I counted 50, including Beyonce herself. Some of these writers are just there because their song was used as a sample, they weren't actually working on the album or had anything to do with it, I believe. But I don't know exactly how many of them were sample credits and who were actually part of the Lemonade writing team.

You’re way too deep and reaching. I enjoy your post though because you actually have an educated response. 

Brown Skin has always been what we called our skin. Black seems to be a label given to us. Our skin color is brown. We are brown skinned. Asians who have brown skin can say they are brown skinned too. Clearly this is for American brown skin girls to love their skin. The pearl reference was about the silky smooth look that a lot of brown skin girls have. It’s beautiful. Any praise to brown skin shouldn’t come off as a knock against your own people. White people tend to feel attacked if black people praise themselves to feel good about life and living. Someone loving theirselves shouldn’t offend you or any other person. Especially when that persons culture is conditioned to feel less than others. The song is beautiful and just an ode to feeling good in your brown skin. 

May I Read You? 😎

StrawberryBlond
17 hours ago, KingRedd said:

You’re way too deep and reaching. I enjoy your post though because you actually have an educated response. 

Brown Skin has always been what we called our skin. Black seems to be a label given to us. Our skin color is brown. We are brown skinned. Asians who have brown skin can say they are brown skinned too. Clearly this is for American brown skin girls to love their skin. The pearl reference was about the silky smooth look that a lot of brown skin girls have. It’s beautiful. Any praise to brown skin shouldn’t come off as a knock against your own people. White people tend to feel attacked if black people praise themselves to feel good about life and living. Someone loving theirselves shouldn’t offend you or any other person. Especially when that persons culture is conditioned to feel less than others. The song is beautiful and just an ode to feeling good in your brown skin. 

I notice that it's perfectly fine for a white person's supposed white supremacy statements to get the third degree but critique a black person's clear suggestions of black supremacy and you get accused of being too deep and reaching. I just wish the same standard got applied. Is a deep dive into song lyrics only welcome when it's positive and only when it points out problematic statements from white artists? But I admire you for saying I sound educated because a lot of people around here have called me uneducated and stupid just for having a different opinion to them which is highly offensive when I have a university degree. As a woman, I've noticed that people are very quick to drop their feminist stance and call an educated woman uneducated just because she's said something they don't like.

I've seen more black people call themselves black than brown. Most don't have an issue with it. If your skin is deeper than Asian skin, it only makes sense, after all, that you should call it a word that connotates something even darker to distinguish the difference. I believe that's the reason to call the skin black even when it's varying shades of brown. Even if it was a label given to you, many of you use it. White skin isn't white either, it's more a very pale pink/peach but we don't quibble the intricacy of it. We were all taught to give our skin colour a name, not just non-whites. It's clear that the word "pearls" was chosen because it was the only word anyone could find that rhymed with "girl," let's just be real here. Even if it didn't quite make sense (as most people will summon a vision of a pearl in their head as opposed to the feel of a pearl), they wrote it anyway, which is an element of modern songwriting that I can't stand. If it rhymes but doesn't make sense, don't write it. I understand how it's about loving yourself as a black person and I'm not knocking that, but I just don't approve of any references to seem to suggest that black is best. You can make your people feel good without making it into a competition against another people. That's precisely how feelings of racial inadequacy began and continue. If the aim is inclusivity, why make songs singling out any one race at all? How about making a song that encourages all races to love their natural appearance? We're all encouraged to change our skin regardless of race anyway. Dark people want to lighten it, light people want to darken it. Ironically, both methods can cause skin cancer,  so we're all killing ourselves in the name of beauty. I have encountered numerous white girls who are gorgeous but have no confidence in themselves (not thin enough, not all tall enough, not tanned enough, nose too big, lips too thin, chest and bottom too flat, hair's a mess are the most common complaints) and it's rare to find a white woman who will confidently rate her appearance highly and it makes you think, well, if whiteness is held up as the ultimate standard of beauty, why are so many white women so low in self-esteem? It's because it doesn't matter what messages society sends, a person's mental state will steamroller over all of it. So, I think that everyone could benefit from a song that tells you to love yourself no matter what your race is. If you want a song that references loving your skin but isn't just aimed at black women, check out Queen by Jessie J. That is one of the very few self love appearance anthems I've found that actually does it right.

Archived