Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How did 1989 win over To Pimp a Butterfly?

whocares

Featured Posts

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LordEnigma
On 9/15/2019 at 12:40 AM, sampool said:

-Minus the Grammy committee.

-TPAB isn’t even played on the rap/hip-hop radio anymore.

-1989 had an 80s inspired sound, but it sounded very modern.

-The better album won.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/1989/taylor-swift

https://www.metacritic.com/music/to-pimp-a-butterfly/kendrick-lamar

TPAB has a much higher score on metacritic by critics and users themselves. And more than double the users rated TPAB than 1989 :bradley:

Irrelevant, huh?

LordEnigma
12 hours ago, Super said:

Because 1989 is better? 1989 doesn’t need swearing at every 10 seconds, songs about how good she is and sexist lyrics (stuff that 90% of rap albums talk about). It’s good for what it is.  

Lol have you listened to the album?

11 hours ago, scarlxrd said:

So you’re saying it should’ve won over Kendrick without ever listening to the album and having no intentions? But suddenly is not that hard to understand why it won? I mean, can you be more ignorant?

No, it's not hard to understand why 1989 would win. Why? Because I said it in my previous post. It's a pop masterpiece. While I still have no intentions on listening to Kendrick's album, obviously an album like 1989 would be more popular and appeal to more people than a hip-hop album would. And thus having a better chance to win such an award.

So, if you go back and reread what I said, because you misread it the first time... I didn't say that it should have won. But I understand why it would have.

StrawberryBlond
14 hours ago, Harry said:

No point in debating this with this particular user. She has a history of placing unfair standards on black artists/not understanding their work. Very bias with next to zero knowledge of hip-hop.

Harry, you really need to end this irrational hatred of me, it's obsessive and delusional. You have got me totally wrong and have always got me wrong, yet you won't listen to reason. If you know me well enough on this site, you'll see me place the same high standards on everyone. Have you seen how harsh I've been on all the big name white artists like Katy? JB? Ariana? Ed? Adele? I've got very high standards of all musicians because I love music that much. But no, you never pay attention to that criticism as it doesn't fit your narrative. And I didn't say I didn't understand the work just that it's masked under a veil of pretension, is far too niche and dated. Saying that I don't get it is more like my way of saying it doesn't connect or appeal because of that. And next to zero knowledge of hip hop? Just because I listen to the older, superior stuff instead of the bland, uninspired mumble rubbish and bizarre experimental stuff around today doesn't mean I have no knowledge of it. It's just that nobody wants to discuss the vintage stuff around here, so until that happens, no, you won't see me discuss rap very much. But it's not because I have no knowledge of it, far from it.

And @BBhomemaker, please don't automatically believe everything Harry tells you about me and actually find out who I am for yourself. I've told him again and again that when he spreads this false perception of me around, he has a knack of making people believe him without question, as seen by your shocked reaction. Look at what I'm saying, not what other (very particular users) have to say about me. There are certain people here who have a very inexplicable grudge against me but at least I have plenty of others who know the real me and can vouch for that. If someone's going to dislike me, I'd rather they decided that for themselves based on what they'd personally witnessed rather than automatically believing others who could be saying any number of fallacies to make me look bad.

15 hours ago, scarlxrd said:

The latter is known as one of the best albums of the 21st century. 1989 is nowhere near.

And yet they both 1989 and TPAB were included in The Guardian’s best albums of the 21st century  :ohwell:

who will love me when the night is over

BBhomemaker
7 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Harry, you really need to end this irrational hatred of me, it's obsessive and delusional. You have got me totally wrong and have always got me wrong, yet you won't listen to reason. If you know me well enough on this site, you'll see me place the same high standards on everyone. Have you seen how harsh I've been on all the big name white artists like Katy? JB? Ariana? Ed? Adele? I've got very high standards of all musicians because I love music that much. But no, you never pay attention to that criticism as it doesn't fit your narrative. And I didn't say I didn't understand the work just that it's masked under a veil of pretension, is far too niche and dated. Saying that I don't get it is more like my way of saying it doesn't connect or appeal because of that. And next to zero knowledge of hip hop? Just because I listen to the older, superior stuff instead of the bland, uninspired mumble rubbish and bizarre experimental stuff around today doesn't mean I have no knowledge of it. It's just that nobody wants to discuss the vintage stuff around here, so until that happens, no, you won't see me discuss rap very much. But it's not because I have no knowledge of it, far from it.

And @BBhomemaker, please don't automatically believe everything Harry tells you about me and actually find out who I am for yourself. I've told him again and again that when he spreads this false perception of me around, he has a knack of making people believe him without question, as seen by your shocked reaction. Look at what I'm saying, not what other (very particular users) have to say about me. There are certain people here who have a very inexplicable grudge against me but at least I have plenty of others who know the real me and can vouch for that. If someone's going to dislike me, I'd rather they decided that for themselves based on what they'd personally witnessed rather than automatically believing others who could be saying any number of fallacies to make me look bad.

Well, i looked at your last comments and made my own opinions as you said and well i saw that you tried to "correct" "brown skin girl" just a simple song that show beauty and love but still triggered you, cause you accord importance about a pearl color .. so tbh idk if you're harsh or just have pleasure bringing down things that make others happy or if you really have something toward black artists, in anyway saying that you're harsh on artist as Adele or Ariana as much as any others artists isn't really a good thing neither

StrawberryBlond
19 hours ago, BBhomemaker said:

Well, i looked at your last comments and made my own opinions as you said and well i saw that you tried to "correct" "brown skin girl" just a simple song that show beauty and love but still triggered you, cause you accord importance about a pearl color .. so tbh idk if you're harsh or just have pleasure bringing down things that make others happy or if you really have something toward black artists, in anyway saying that you're harsh on artist as Adele or Ariana as much as any others artists isn't really a good thing neither

I couldn't resist responding to that one as when such an opportunity arises, it's difficult not to point out the issues. I'm not "triggered," I just have some genuine issues with songs like this that single out and praise one race over another when a more inclusive approach would be far better. I apply very high standards to music because I love it that much and demand the best from everyone, it's the only way music is going to get any better in today's very bland, safe landscape that's dependent on fads. I can assure you that I have nothing against black artists; almost all my favourite rappers are black and I've frequently said that black people make the best rap music. Being harsh on their music in the same way that I'm harsh on white artists shows that I'm about equal standards and I don't think any artist or song should be above critique. If an artist can't take criticism, they're in the wrong profession. If you don't want your work critiqued, don't put it out into public domain as the entire nature of getting signed and putting music out into the world is have people decide if they like it or not. If we're excessively nice to everyone, that defeats the entire purpose of making art.

Archived