💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How did 1989 win over To Pimp a Butterfly?

whocares

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, scarlxrd said:

I mean, you’re the one not making any sense. Because as I said, 1989 also pulls from a different era. 80’s synth-pop. So by your own logic that album is outdated too. I don’t have to keep convincing myself. Must people agree. To Pimp A Butterfly is the better album. And of course 1989 plays on the radio. It’s POP.

-Minus the Grammy committee.

-TPAB isn’t even played on the rap/hip-hop radio anymore.

-1989 had an 80s inspired sound, but it sounded very modern.

-The better album won.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whocares
9 minutes ago, sampool said:

-Minus the Grammy committee.

-TPAB isn’t even played on the rap/hip-hop radio anymore.

-1989 had an 80s inspired sound, but it sounded very modern.

-The better album won.

- A committee with mostly white older people who were scared of its black politics.

38-C2-C86-D-6-E99-4-EB8-A269-00-A9355-F7

- Who says? The hip hop culture still plays and talks about this album like no other.

- So did TPAB.

- Wrong.

8 minutes ago, scarlxrd said:

- A committee with mostly white older people who were scared of its black politics.

38-C2-C86-D-6-E99-4-EB8-A269-00-A9355-F7

- Who says? The hip hop culture still plays and talks about this album.

- So did TPAB.

- Wrong.

Excuses excuses excuses. 

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, sampool said:

So you’re saying it was outdated on arrival? Okay.

Lol are you being a troll? Outdated would mean it would have to be time stamped to a specific era anyway. That’s why people say parts of TF have aged poorly; some of it is very much a product of the mid 2000s urban rnb music.

All music pulls from different times so I’m really not sure what you’re trying to say with this statement. I’m not slamming 1989; I’m just pointing out that your assessment of it is patently false. “No one is talking about it”, yes. Yes they are. Go anywhere outside radio and pop (basically the same thing) since the album was not designed for radio unlike 1989 which was *specifically* engineered for that purpose. Naturally you will still hear it on the radio when that is the case; it is inoffensive, nonabrasive, white pop music. It ticks all the boxes for radio play meanwhile TPAB ticks none of those. If you only base quality and impact on how radio successful it was than you’re missing out on a lot of the musical conversation that’s going on in culture since, as we have even seen with Gaga, radio will arbitrarily just not play certain things.

10 hours ago, AJRocketMan said:

The major award shows have been out of touch for several years. And yet you guys act like the Grammy’s and the Oscars are the sh¡t only because Gaga wins lots of awards from those guys. 🙄 They screw plenty of people and artists over that are far more deserving of wins.

Thanks and thanks.

They used to  give the awards to talent, real talent... now they give the awards to someone who is talented and has been successful too... so if you dont get enough success, you wont win even though you deserve it  artistically

doppelganger

Well, Million Reasons lost and the Joanne Piano Version won. You never know with the Grammys, sometimes they get it really wrong. 

I love how people still throw around the race card and the wHiTe oLd committee excuses to discredit her :rip: 

1989 WAS the album of the year. The hype was insanely real, was critical acclaimed, spawned iconic hit singles, every music video was an event and the tour was a major deal that the press followed almost every date. It also marked Taylor's pop transition that had been years in the making and was a turning point in her career.

She stood up for other artists during that Apple Music mess and another artist covered her entire album, so she also had a bigger position in the industry.

I'm not saying TPAB is a bad album that didn't deserve to win, but it just didn't have the same cultural impact that 1989 did.

AOTY are given for "overall excellence" and 1989 was just that

so yeah, stay seething I guess

tumblr_naix12pVk01s5j98io1_500.gif

who will love me when the night is over

StrawberryBlond

Safe and accessible tends to win over different and experimental. Rap albums have always struggled to win the award as the genre is so polarising and the older members of the academy are many and simply aren't as warm to the idea of a rap album taking home the ultimate prize of the night. And no, it's not just a race issue as Eminem has never won either despite 3 nominations. Other white rappers like Macklemore and Post Malone have also lost their nominations too and Iggy Azalea never even got nominated for that one. People are so quick to call it a race issue but it really isn't, it's a genre issue.

I ultimately never got Kendrick's work, it's just too pretentious. And since he took a break after DAMN, it's like the world just moved on from him. I'm starting to get the feeling he's a bit of a once off who's had his peak and its all downhill from here. Others have taken over in his absence but I think this black empowerment album fad is going to get old real fast. It's such a tired and predictable route to take now and it will look so dated in years to come. I'm not saying 1989 was God's gift to music either but at least it stood the test of time and remains talked about to this day, so out of all the nominees, it was the ideal winner from that standpoint. The other nominees were very "of the moment" and have now been largely or completely forgotten except 1989. And this is from someone who wanted Beauty Behind The Madness to win. The Grammys sometimes go for the safe option they know will stick around and be remembered and 1989 was that.

HotLikeMexico
15 hours ago, geishababe said:

Cause it's a pop album

white privilege

her daddy's money

:ohwell:

Hide contents

come for me swifites

gagaisitalian

In her defense, 1989 was a great concept album (her full emergence into pop music while also touching on the sound of the year she was born, making it full circle) and she writes her own music.

The real atrocity is Bruno winning over Kendrick another year.

Stephen
12 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Safe and accessible tends to win over different and experimental. Rap albums have always struggled to win the award as the genre is so polarising and the older members of the academy are many and simply aren't as warm to the idea of a rap album taking home the ultimate prize of the night. And no, it's not just a race issue as Eminem has never won either despite 3 nominations. Other white rappers like Macklemore and Post Malone have also lost their nominations too and Iggy Azalea never even got nominated for that one. People are so quick to call it a race issue but it really isn't, it's a genre issue.

I ultimately never got Kendrick's work, it's just too pretentious. And since he took a break after DAMN, it's like the world just moved on from him. I'm starting to get the feeling he's a bit of a once off who's had his peak and its all downhill from here. Others have taken over in his absence but I think this black empowerment album fad is going to get old real fast. It's such a tired and predictable route to take now and it will look so dated in years to come. I'm not saying 1989 was God's gift to music either but at least it stood the test of time and remains talked about to this day, so out of all the nominees, it was the ideal winner from that standpoint. The other nominees were very "of the moment" and have now been largely or completely forgotten except 1989. And this is from someone who wanted Beauty Behind The Madness to win. The Grammys sometimes go for the safe option they know will stick around and be remembered and 1989 was that.

I don’t think you’re right about Kendrick. I can see his next album being just as big or almost as big as DAMN, if he keeps delivering quality. A lot of people like him. He’s just between album cycles right now. 

BBhomemaker

Trashdaily putting down Kendrick one of the few rapper that stand for equality and love and talk about real issues unlike 60% of the homophobic mumbling "rappers" 

:applause: you did it, good job ggd

Archived