💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Please, pop stars, no more collaborations

whocares

Featured Posts

whocares

Why summer 2019's features-heavy hits made music boring.

The most obvious storyline in 2019’s summer of pop music is the rise and reign of Lil Nas X, whose breakout hit “Old Town Road” became Billboard’s longest-running No. 1 hit in chart history.

But how the song rose to and stayed at No. 1 is really the bigger story: That its initial remix with Billy Ray Cyrus fueled its journey to the top of the charts in April and the many remixes that followed – collaborations with artists from “Yodel Boy” Mason Ramsey to K-pop phenoms BTS – brought enough continued attention to the “Old Town Road” phenomenon that it smashed Billboard records.

It seemed like every pop star this summer had the same idea for drumming up listener attention to their new music – tacking on additional star power by inviting their peers on songs.

So stars have responded, as listeners were forced to endure this summer, by shifting their focus to collaborative singles and albums. Plenty of success stories exist over the past 15 years of artists who have found career-defining success in tandem with other stars and still managed to produce great pop music. Consider Timbaland’s pop domination in the mid-2000s, Calvin Harris’ near-perfect summer 2017 collaborations album “Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1” and much of Mark Ronson’s entire career.

Justin Bieber – whose limp single with Sheeran, “I Don’t Care,” couldn’t rise higher than No. 2 this summer – eventually helped Billie Eilish’s “Bad Guy” nab the top spot after a remix.

A release that Eilish framed as a full-circle culmination of her teenage idol-worship of Bieber, the “Bad Guy” remix nevertheless felt slightly cynical, considering that Eilish’s massive popularity has come in part from her status as one of pop music’s most intriguing and iconoclastic personalities to emerge in years, and that she still got bogged down in pop music’s collaborations craze.

the song that would hit No. 1 next, “Señorita,” positively reeks of industry-plant syndrome:teehee: It was the summer’s most marketable single from the industry’s most marketable couple: Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello. Perhaps it speaks to listeners’ collective fatigue, as fans debated whether Mendes and Cabello’s summertime romance was manufactured to help the song, which is far from either artist’s best single, unseat “Old Town Road” at No. 1. 

Fake or not, the song hit No. 1 in August, coinciding with Mendes and Cabello's splashy performance at another one of the music industry’s most tired spectacles, MTV’s Video Music Awards:bradley:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/09/10/please-pop-stars-no-more-collaborations/2266613001/

LordEnigma
2 minutes ago, Jed said:

Well all of y’all better Stan normani then giving you everything you’ve been asking for from a new pop girl

But like all her singles are collabs 💀

I've been saying this since 300 BC when "Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira was released. I'm sick and tired of collabs.

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch, just drink my ****ing coffee and watch 90's cartoons and hush

They aren't exciting anymore. And they're usually underwhelming anyway.

The industry definitely ran the concept of a collaboration into the ground.

Why y'all just enjoy limiting how far artists can explore their artistry and potential? :oprah:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

3 hours ago, LordEnigma said:

But like all her singles are collabs 💀

Motivation literally just came out and it’s an amazing pop effort and it’s obviously the song I was talking about. Besides a producer collaboration is just the equivalent of Gaga feat. Redone so Slow down is another great solo normani song. I have a feeling you knew what I was referring to but sure act new

Archived