Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Gaga talking evolution of IWBWY into Dope

LaLa

Featured Posts

With IWBWY leaking, I wanted to go back and find this old interview of Gaga discussing how it evolved into Dope. It's interesting, it seems to me like maybe she never intended it to be on ARTPOP, but just something to play live (like she ended up doing) before she rewrote it. I know everyone has preferences of one version or the other, but either way it's cool to hear her talk about her own intentions and feelings.

(I time stamped it, but just in case, relevant discussion starts at 11:06)

I remember her saying in an interview that the label said IWBWY wasn't relatable :oprah:

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

I don't think I understand… She wanted to put IWBWY on the album, and just because her team was glad it was commercial, she changed it to something darker?

I mean, it still hit #8 :ladyhaha:

Just now, KEVIN STEVE said:

I don't think I understand… She wanted to put IWBWY on the album, and just because her team was glad it was commercial, she changed it to something darker?

I mean, it still hit #8 :ladyhaha:

I think they wanted another ballad

and instead of doing another one, she changed the one she had and made it better :ohwell: 

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

NewUsername
3 minutes ago, Red said:

I remember her saying in an interview that the label said IWBWY wasn't relatable :oprah:

I remember the same thing

Gypsy during that interview was SUCH a good Gypsy performance!

AJRocketMan

I like Dope way more than I Wanna Be With You. Dope is way more relatable to me, and I’m a big fan of it’s production whereas “You” sounds like a Celine Dion song. Give me a song about drug addiction and repentance over another song about love and relationships any day. We already have plenty of those. And Dope’s lyrics are much more clever!

blackpink

I prefer Dope much more. Her delivery on that song is reminiscent of Freddie Mercury and just embodies that theatrical vibe he had. It’s a very raw heartfelt song, I hope she gives us another moment like that on LG6. 

Lord Temptation
21 minutes ago, Red said:

Interscope honestly thought the words “I Wanna Be With You” was not relatable? They really screwed with her and I will forever hate them for that :koons:

mr.peter
14 minutes ago, Bio said:

Imagine thinking that IWBWY and its clunky lyrics are better than the masterpiece that is Dope, I have to laugh

agree , I wanna be with you feel so incomplete. Very early demo rough. The lyrics don't flow or feel thought out at all

Dope has stronger lyrics even though IWBWY has a more "pretty" sound to it so I'm okay with the decision in the end. Plus the Rick Rubin production is divine.

Dope is probably her most emotional ballad and one of her best. 

Archived