Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why do people say Joanne is country and not pop

SeasonOfTheWitch

Featured Posts

derpmonster
5 hours ago, SeasonOfTheWitch said:

I don’t hear any country influences in Diamond Heart, I think I’d call it stadium pop-rock

With electro. It's actually surprising how electronic Joanne is overall.  Diamond Heart could've had all guitars but it's electronic instead

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Temptation

Country doesn’t even sound like country anymore. Joanne is not meant to sound like the current (i.e. fake) country charts. It harkens back to the original country and western sound, southern rock and electric folk.

See the YouTube video “Why Do All New Country Songs Have the Same Beat” for more evidence to why Joanne is needed to breathe life back into country by going back to it’s roots instead of this trap bro-beat country sausagefest we that is contemporary mainstream country.

corvus albus

Country is much more varied than people give it credit for. Country isn't just a creaky banjo, a hollering voice, love for mama and Jesus and 70s outlaw country. Country is a lot of things but it lives from the performer and its sentiment. Joanne is largely country influenced and even uses some of the most know country industry writers. The subject of Joanne is also VERY country with a lot of songs about family and typical country melodrama. 

It's not country but it has huge influences by tue genre. 

BTW is a rock album just like Joanne is a country album imo. 

FfFfFfFF

Because it heavily influenced by it even though it is primarily still a pop record. Compared to her own discography or any pop girl discography the country influence stands out and therefore people associate it with it. Most people also use it as a joke and people that believe that is indeed more country than pop however are are a few.

Million Reasons is a folsky country-pop ballad, A-YO is country-pop, Joanne is folk, Grigio Girls is again country-influenced and and Sinner's Prayer is Western so 5 songs with prominent country, folk and Americana influences.

John Wayne, Dancin' In Circles, Angel Down also have something country-esque either in the instrumentals, inflection or imagery so 3 songs with minimal influences from country but that blend with the others.

As the other user said, every review out there mentioned country while describing Joanne, it's a connection that you do immediately because of the sound.

And could be also related to the history of country, which is turning more and more pop by each year, nowadays a lot of the country songs have hooks or trap beats, and a lot of cross-overs happened trough the years (Taylor, Kacey). 

tomsches

Because people don't know anything about genres.They also thought Perfect Illusion was Hard Rock, Heavy Metal because the intro features guitars. 

Luxe Ford

My Country & Western music know-how is limited to "Jolene" (excellent) and Tammy Wynette's feature on KLF's "Justified and Ancient" (low brow humor for the ironic generation). 

For eurocentric mindsets like mine any music performed in a Stetson - in any colour you'd care to mention - brings to mind terms like "Americana", the Confederate flag, whiffs of a Meth lab, the states of North and South Carolina and country music.

All of this is highly prejudiced and ignorant, comparable to some Americans beliefs that Polar bears roam the streets of Sweden ( a badger wobbling past a 7-11 at night won't suffice!).

In short, the style of Joanne is so foreign to me it might have been made by aliens. But...different is good and changing your mind is healthy. Some of the best things in life - like escargots and black liquorice -  are acquired tastes.

/Luxe Ford, rambler par excellence

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

6 hours ago, dynamite said:

Diamond Heart has 'something' about it but that's about it??

I think it's the vocals

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

It is a pop record with country influence, just how BTW is a pop record with rock influence and ARTPOP a pop record with electro influence! 

VOLANTIS
9 hours ago, derpmonster said:

Cheek to Cheek is literally ragtime and jazz as they're defined. :ladyhaha: Listen to jazz. C2C is that. It's got piano, trumpet, syncopation, jazz arrangements, jazz STANDARDS, there's literally no doubt.

Joanne is not country. Joanne has a country influence but other influences are far greater. The only three songs that come close to country are Million Reasons (also a pop ballad), Sinner's Prayer (more like Americana folk but close to country), and Grigio Girls (the only actual country pop ballad). The rest are rock, electro, funkish inspired with country imagery (John Wayne) but not sound. There's a lot of non country folk (like CTM). Just Another Day is the farthest from country. It's a jazzy pop song. Half of ASIB is more country than Joanne. 

Maybe you don't have exposure to much country music. Sometimes things sound the same when you haven't heard enough of it. Happens with me too. 

It isn't about being "offended" by liking country... What gave you that idea? I actually do like some country music. And I love Joanne. They're not the same though. Joanne's overarching genre is pop, followed by folk. 

First of all sis.. I didn't think you'd take "Cheek to cheek is heavy metal" seriously.. :bradley:

Country music is derived from folk music. A derived sub genre if you will. So to say Joanne isn't Country but folk is like saying an Apple isn't a fruit but instead falls under the category of food. Joanne being a country album doesn't make it any less folk. 

9 hours ago, derpmonster said:

It isn't about being "offended" by liking country... What gave you that idea?

This is the millionth thread made to discuss the album's genre, clearly some of you have issues with Joanne being country and passionately oppose the mere sentiment. :sweat:

I really feel like every time Joanne's genre comes up someone does get offended. I seriously find you to be one of the more open minded members in this community so I'm sorry if I've offended you. :kara: 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

Archived