💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Gaga x Akerlund: “The Shortest Musical You Will Never See Again”

bxr

Featured Posts

This is one of my favorite looks from her ever. It just all came together and worked so nicely and was, I think, the first time the art elite really took her seriously as an artist more than just shock.

JustJames

Gorgeous.

Why the heck was Speechless NOT a TFM-era single? She was so passionate about the song, the performances were iconic, and we wouldn't have had to wait so long for a Gaga ballad to shut up those who were too lazy to seek out evidence of her vocal talent. 

Cooling down Alejandro with Speechless before returning to the dance floor with Dance in the Dark would have been so much more fitting to finish off this incredible run.

3 hours ago, JustJames said:

Gorgeous.

Why the heck was Speechless NOT a TFM-era single? She was so passionate about the song, the performances were iconic, and we wouldn't have had to wait so long for a Gaga ballad to shut up those who were too lazy to seek out evidence of her vocal talent. 

Cooling down Alejandro with Speechless before returning to the dance floor with Dance in the Dark would have been so much more fitting to finish off this incredible run.

While I agree, I do think that for someone polarizing like Gaga she needed to just keep relentlessly serving hits to people. Hit after hit after hit in order to make the most of her debut before backlash or boredom set in. Up until the BTW era, I personally find no fault in how singles were handled even if I’d have liked for Speechless to have been one.

I feel like Speechless would have been overlooked by radio 

derpmonster
1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I feel like Speechless would have been overlooked by radio 

Considering how radio easily picked up Adele in 2011, Speechless in late 2010 wouldn't have been so odd after all.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

8 hours ago, derpmonster said:

Considering how radio easily picked up Adele in 2011, Speechless in late 2010 wouldn't have been so odd after all.

Oh not odd, necessarily, just overlooked. Her bonanza of 2009-2010 kind of meant that what was still smashing in the general conversation were bops. From BR to T to A it was BOP BOP BOP and so if you stuck one after or in between I just feel like the titanic singles were overshadow it a bit kind of like what happened to LoveGame. It was big but Pokerface was still towering over it so I don’t think it got its own room to breath, it had to live off of what Pokerface gave it and made the transition to Paparazzi smooth.

JustJames

Love your description of the role LoveGame played and that is essentially what I feel was missing from TFM and BTW. LG was a simple, light break from the intensity of PF and needed before Paparazzi. It was still perfectly Gaga but wasn’t going to top the charts. 

Between BR and MTN, the only chance to breathe was You and I. It’s what caused EOG, MTN to perform below expectations and why a Scheisse type of song had to be floored.

Speechless would’ve offered a chance to grab a drink at the bar and cool off, while highlighting Gaga’s vocals for the first time and showing versatility. It’s far superior to Y&I and her performances were so amazing that I cant see it doing any harm to her momentum, particularly if DITD was released after. And in a perfect world, it’d have helped prevent the eventual fatigue.

DonatellaPop
On 9/8/2019 at 1:11 AM, JustJames said:

She was so passionate about the song

she even mentioned it was her favourite track from TFM during that era, truly tragic.

https://blacklivesmatter.com/

Archived