đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Single visuals that are too good for the single

SeasonOfTheWitch

Featured Posts

Chromaticunt
38 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I think the same the other way around. the ARTPOP film is not only a mess but conceptually stupid imo lol the only good thing about it was the location and quality of cinematography :ohwell:

Likewise, I think the PI video is conceptually vacant and a forgettable bore. Gaga described it as "just me singing the song", and the best thing you can say about it is "it just looks really cool". Not very convincing. The only good thing about it is Gaga's clothes and her bad driving, which is kind of funny.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Inferno
1 minute ago, ThatBinch said:

Likewise, I think the PI video is conceptually vacant and a forgettable bore. Gaga described it as "just me singing the song", and the best thing you can say about it is "it just looks really cool". Not very convincing. The only good thing about it is Gaga's clothes and her bad driving, which is kind of funny.

Thus my problem with aspects of this fanbase, the obsession with the "everything under the kitchen sink" approach and misinterpreting jam packed nonsense as creatively superior simply for the fact that its jam packed with nonsense. And if something must be jam packed with nonsense than at least i'd hope it would be cool looking nonsense. GUY was not.

Chromaticunt
11 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Thus my problem with aspects of this fanbase, the obsession with the "everything under the kitchen sink" approach and misinterpreting jam packed nonsense as creatively superior simply for the fact that its jam packed with nonsense. And if something must be jam packed with nonsense than at least i'd hope it would be cool looking nonsense. GUY was not.

No, I don't think "everything under the kitchen sink" is the better approach. I think the ARTPOP film is creatively superior because it's actually creative. I'll admit the first half is a lot stronger than the second half, but at least the video as a whole tries to actually say something. 

But if you think PI is better and more cool looking because of a bomber jacket and some grungy people in a mosh pit, then that's fine. Agree to disagree.

Inferno
2 minutes ago, ThatBinch said:

No, I don't think "everything under the kitchen sink" is the better approach. I think the ARTPOP film is creatively superior because it's actually creative. I'll admit the first half is a lot stronger than the second half, but at least the video as a whole tries to actually say something. 

But if you think PI is better and more cool looking because of a bomber jacket and some grungy people in a mosh pit, then that's fine. Agree to disagree.

I don't come from the predisposition that simply having a concept automatically makes something superior. Sometimes something that looks cool even if its concept isn't particularly complex, is stronger than something that has lofty intent but is wack af. But all subjective.

Chromaticunt
33 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I don't come from the predisposition that simply having a concept automatically makes something superior. Sometimes something that looks cool even if its concept isn't particularly complex, is stronger than something that has lofty intent but is wack af. But all subjective.

That's fine if you think that way. There are some cool looking car commercials out there, too... which is why I place context and concept a bit higher than something that just looks cool. 

For me, a perfect example of minimalist art is the ASIB scene where she sings Shallow onstage for the first time. That was the opposite of throwing everything in the kitchen sink. And yet, even taken out of context of the film it still has something to say through the lyrics, acting, angles, etc. It's a beautiful work of art. The PI video can barely be called art IMO. It doesn't make me feel or think about anything except how high Gaga's jorts go into her butt crack.

Fwiw, and this is just talking into the ether, but G.U.Y didn’t feel entirely off-kilter with the song (the specific segment), and G.U.Y: An ARTPOP Film imo, does feel aligned with the given narrative …

ARTPOP expressed the downward trajectory of the era up until that point, and the fallen phoenix beneath the rubble and rampage of industry suits almost felt like the dark side of merging Art with Pop (when glamour meets cruelty in a warped subtextual fantasy) — that the machine will inevitably dismantle any artistry in pursuit of profit — the video literally opens with Gaga face down at the rock bottom line.

Venus … the transition to Hearst Castle, castles where monarchs usually reside, where Gaga collapses at the door, only to be taken inside to what / whom one might deduce is “your leader” within contextual proximity. Then onward through the journey to the Neptune Pool, and verses of “When you touch me I die…” as she symbolically submerges into a kind of like symbolic death of a past self in baptism of a new life — I guess, like making it to the castle is like being taken to the planet, and submerging in the pool is like washing away the gruesome past of corporate greed or idk … anyway, she’s bathed in the Neptune Pool and finds new life on the wings of …

“Greetings, Himeros” and G.U.Y, tbh the ascent in the white headdress like — that’s the personified emergence of an empowered girl under the proverbial you: she literally popped out the ground from the preceding context of symbolic death — emergence from the grave (Venus’ Neptune pool descent) and earth (ARTPOP mountaintop exile). The rest of the G.U.Y segment is pastiche, but it is more fluid than just random ad-hoc imagery … the Minecraft guy and the tech feel low-key allusion to “please retweet” (yes, I am aware of the subtextual reference point, but still) … “I’m gonna wear the tie, want the power to leave you,” she literally shows up to a corporate office and usurps the C-Suite — the glam goon squad for real. It’s all kind of just different iterations of masculine / feminine power dynamics and a balance or reversal of assumed roles of dominance … and tbh the heavy mythological imagery of the Hearst Castle backdrop plays directly into the lyrical reference to mythology. She explained the housewives, but also, just again, iterations of G.U.Ys in pop culture, and quite literally beneath Andy Cohen as the sun.

Idk this could have made absolutely zero sense, but it just felt like G.U.Y was getting referenced a bit so figured might as well make an attempt to extend the lens of perspective somewhat …

Obvs, none of this is binding, and could be so misguided, but all art(pop) is subjective …

derpmonster
14 hours ago, xoxo Craig said:

Marry The Night

G.U.Y

MTN is an AMAZING song. :awkney:

The bridge and outro take you to heaven and back. :firega:

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

xoxo Craig
4 hours ago, derpmonster said:

MTN is an AMAZING song. :awkney:

The bridge and outro take you to heaven and back. :firega:

Yes Marry The Night is a great song, but it doesn't deserve a whole 14 minute video. 

End Racism Now

HeavyCapiLover
18 hours ago, LabCoatDude said:

Telephone

Even if the video is incredible and one of her most exciting, I think the song is too much cut and it kinda annoyed me when I was 9 didn't there was a audio to listen to it without interruption lmao. I remember being ****ing addicted to this song and always listening radio only to hear it. 

Smother Em Eh

G.U.Y

It wasn’t even a real true single! & John Wayne too tbh. 

Also don’t get me started on TEOG :awkney:

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

9 hours ago, xoxo Craig said:

Yes Marry The Night is a great song, but it doesn't deserve a whole 14 minute video. 

Slight counterpoint: from the context of Gaga, (namely, how she perceives artistic inspiration) a song that … “[is] like Whitney, but imagine if Bruce Springsteen had a baby with Whitney Houston — that's what it is … And that was it! We made a baby. Finally.” … which was the narrative genesis of Born This Way’s track listing … and a video that would be the last music visual for a solo single studio release for two years … and the song itself, the epic sonic retrospective itself — I think, just imo, “Marry The Night” remains an incredibly precise, and well-deserved, cinematic representation of the record … if nothing else, for the creator, and for the culture.

KatieJudasGaga4
On 9/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, scarlxrd said:

yeah yeah yeah

blah blah blah 

Alexa, play Small Talk :music:

Archived