💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
musician

Music Critics Attacking Lana Del Rey After She Fires Bac At Th Wrong Person

RAMROD

Featured Posts

LilyLark

I have mixed feelings on this issue. I feel like Powers was overly personal—it started reading like it was a judgment of Lana as a person rather than just her music. Critics definitely cross this line at times—something similar happened with Lizzo, she snapped, and there was a mild backlash. At the same time, Lana shouldn't have responded to something that was relatively mild—especially when the overall review was quite positive.

My issue is less with Lana and Powers and more with the critics joining the fray. I clicked through and read a few of the threads and welp. So some of those critics go on about how Powers is a feminist and legend in some of their tweets, which implies they themselves are feminists, but then proceed to call Lana stupid, go on about her dying her hair, plastic surgery, etc. ...which smacks of misogyny. Disagree with Lana's response, fine, but going after her looks is wrong. Plus, a lot of the critics are claiming that Lana is enabling/encouraging her stans to harass Powers. I think it's deeply unfair to blame Lana for "stan" culture—at the same time, this keeps happening and is why celebs are not active on social media because they get blamed for "provoking" their fans.

NGL—I'm a bit worried that Gaga might do something similar for LG6. Didn't she do a much milder version of what Lana did and say something like "he's always harsh about me" about some critic during Joanne? I understand why artists do this—their work is deeply personal—but it's not worth it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ItsTommyBitch
25 minutes ago, PartySick said:

"My gift is the warmth I live my life with and the self reflection I share generously"

This bit rubs me the wrong way :awkney: the only person this level of pretentious has ever worked for was Gaga in the ARTPOP era

Okay, but in context she's saying that she doesnt see herself as an artist that is constantly making political statements like this critic is saying she is, but rather that she is literally only sharing her own life experiences as they come to her - that includes, growth, decay, messiness, whatever. Artists dont have to write about their lives, and for someone as emotional as Lana has been in the past, its certainly not easy for her to do so. She has explicitly stated that she doesn't make music for fame, prestige, etc. but just as a way of living her life as art and chronicling it how she sees fit. Thats how projects like Honeymoon in its entirety, songs like Hope is a dangerous thing, Mariner's Apartment Complex... they are songs she has made for her own gratification or as catharsis, but later decided to release.

That's not really a pretentious statement on its own is it? Just worded badly in that light...

私è‡Șèș«ă‚‚こた䞖た䞭もèȘ°ă‚‚ă‹ă‚Œă‚‚ăŒ, どんăȘă«èŻă‚„ă‹ăȘäșș生でも, どんăȘにæ‚Č惚ăȘäșș生でも, い぀かは怉èȌし, ç ŽćŁŠă•ă‚Œă€æ¶ˆæ»…ă—ăŠă—ăŸă†. すăčăŠăŒă‚‚ăšă‚‚ăšă“ăźäž–ă«ć­˜ćœšă—ăȘい侀瞬ぼćč»æƒłăȘぼだから

doppelganger

I couldn't even get through that review. What was the reviewer even trying to say?

Fair enough that critics should try to locate a 'work of art' within its socio-cultural context, but there's a fine line between a thoughtful written piece and mental masturbati*n

Whispering

The review is very positive overall. I thought it was an intelligent, thought-provoking read and it made me want to check out this particular album...and I’m really no fan of LDR. 

She’s getting rave reviews, isn’t she? This one was highly complimentary. Is she one of those people that doesn’t know how to handle praise? Or a person that focuses on a tiny bit of negative in an ocean of positive? She seems very sensitive. (I don’t know, as I don’t follow much about her) 

HoneyB

The review wasn’t that bad, why is everyone so fussy about it?:awkney: granted there was no need to critique who Lana is as a person, but other than that, it was an interesting read. Critiques are meant to let the artist know what they can improve on and to provide thoughtful insight on a body of work. Also as an artist, why bother worrying about all the negative reviews? They shouldn’t let it get to them and focus on growing with each album they produce. Anyways, it isn’t that big of a deal lol hopefully stan twitter keeps their mouth shut so this woman doesn’t get harassed too much...

💋 đ•Šđ•„đ•–đ•Ą 𝕐𝕒 â„‚đ• đ• đ•œđ•šđ•–đ•€ 𝕌𝕡💋đŸȘ

ChromaticaPunk
2 hours ago, CautiousLurker said:

While I think there's a place for criticism of art, I think I'm ultimately on Lana's side because... I mean, imagine putting a lot of effort into something you really care about, and are trying to make it as good as you possibly can, and then have a person who is considered an authority figure but to whom you don't relate to whatsoever claim that if you view it from a certain angle, it's bad...

You kinda end up feeling talked down to, cuz... at least what's happening in my mind in an instance like that is someone lecturing me about how I wasn't smart enough to take this into account, and are ultimately dismissive of my experience of creating said work... To me they're almost saying that I expressed myself incorrectly in my work, and that I shouldn't express myself that way...

Btw, that review is so padded, damn... It's not really new, but certainly makes me appreciate more writers who get straight to the point...

no any criticism is bad? not everything can be praised no matter the effort put in. this is how people improve and grow. 

CautiousLurker
1 hour ago, HeavyMetalLover said:

no any criticism is bad? not everything can be praised no matter the effort put in. this is how people improve and grow. 

You have not only completely missed the point I was making, but also literally in the first sentence I say 'While I think there's a place for criticism of art...', and your question is whether I think ANY criticism is bad?

Also, in regards to your comment about 'this is how people improve and grow' - artists, especially ones who have been around for a while and learned how to approach and assess a work of art usually have a pretty good idea of where their weaknesses lay and how to improve them, so... yes, improving and growing is important, but no, critic reviews are not THE way to do it... You'll be way better off talking to other artists about whatever issues you're having, or letting them have a look at your work, rather than rely on critics - critics rarely actually tell or even can tell you how to improve...

She shouldn't have said that... even the critic shouldn't really have talked about her as a person, it's always going to be the artist who'll look like a sensitive bitch who can't take criticism. She should have left it alone... it's one critic, who cares, not to mention the rest was positive.. Also the way she defended herself and the words she used didn't help her either :awkney: 

ltlmnstr

The artist can never be separate from the art. 

That’s the whole gist of this. I read the review and I don’t think Powers attacked Lana.

Like Lana stans mention focusing solely on the music is how you should critic but the music is an expression of the self. So, paradoxically, is it solely music or is it an extension of self?

But from Lana’s early work, there was a subtle persona portrayed and that’s always going to referenced. (Madonna will never escape Material Girl and Gaga will never escape Poker Face) 

Musicians always claim they’re showing their real selves but honestly, how much is real and how much is marketing?

4 hours ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

anti-gun control

you meant pro gun control or i misunderstood ? (sorry dumb question) 

hello hello baby.

Lord Temptation

Did Lana even read the review? :saladga:

Gurl, calm down and read it again. Your immature overreaction comes across as the attack, not the other way round :bye:

Nightwing

Yeah, I'm with Lana on this one. At the very end of the day, she has the right to speak up for herself and to make any clarifications she feels needs to be made.

ItsTommyBitch
1 hour ago, brucee said:

you meant pro gun control or i misunderstood ? (sorry dumb question) 

lmao yes. It's very early here, mb

私è‡Șèș«ă‚‚こた䞖た䞭もèȘ°ă‚‚ă‹ă‚Œă‚‚ăŒ, どんăȘă«èŻă‚„ă‹ăȘäșș生でも, どんăȘにæ‚Č惚ăȘäșș生でも, い぀かは怉èȌし, ç ŽćŁŠă•ă‚Œă€æ¶ˆæ»…ă—ăŠă—ăŸă†. すăčăŠăŒă‚‚ăšă‚‚ăšă“ăźäž–ă«ć­˜ćœšă—ăȘい侀瞬ぼćč»æƒłăȘぼだから

I think the she shouldn't have responded to that and even if she wasn't too harsh about it , it's obvious that many will read that as pretentious . Many are saying that she is thin-skinned (and i partially agree). But many critics' responses to that are just childish. I mean, i don't remember the name but called her dumb for this. I don't blame her to be so sensitive if those are the critics out there. Like, c'mon, "wearing wings and headpieces"= persona. I absolutely understand why, after all these years, it's so tiring to hear this f*****g persona thing. But yeah, she shouldn't have comment 

Edit: jeez i'm basically illiterate

Archived