Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Pitchfork gives NFR! 9.4

Monsterious

Featured Posts

AJRocketMan
33 minutes ago, Saint Gaga said:

They don't have to wish,lol

Born This way,Fame Monster,Ultraviolence,NFR & Born to die exists.Keep living in your own delusional bubble where only the Madonna records are the good ones

The reality is I’m not delusional. I can enjoy Gaga’s and Lana’s albums while still thinking they could do better and find other musical bodies of work as superior to theirs while also being used as a reference point for how they should be as they get older. I like all of those albums you name (except for NFR) but Lana and Gaga have never made records as sophisticated and as thoughtful as Madonna’s albums, especially not her ‘90s ones. Born This Way, The Fame Monster, Born To Die, and Ultraviolence are well-made records for artists who were in their 20’s. But for the experience that they now have, I expect far more from them. I’m going to abstain from judgement on Gaga as she has yet to release LG6 but Lana’s lyricism (and her vocal style) has shown little evolution and growth, just less rooted in self-pity and catchy hooks.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

The reality is I’m not delusional. I can enjoy Gaga’s and Lana’s albums while still thinking they could do better and find other musical bodies of work as superior to theirs while also being used as a reference point for how they should be as they get older. I like all of those albums you name (except for NFR) but Lana and Gaga have never made records as sophisticated and as thoughtful as Madonna’s albums, especially not her ‘90s ones. Born This Way, The Fame Monster, Born To Die, and Ultraviolence are well-made records for artists who were in their 20’s. But for the experience that they now have, I expect far more from them. I’m going to abstain from judgement on Gaga as she has yet to release LG6 but Lana’s lyricism (and her vocal style) has shown little evolution and growth, just less rooted in self-pity and catchy hooks.

You're being just as pretentious as the publication you're arguing about 🙄 

Ladle Ghoulash
15 hours ago, LanaDelGrant said:

Just to remind y'all, Pitchfork called Born To Die "a faked orgasm - a collection of torch songs with no fire" :excuseu:

Did they lie? 

AJRocketMan
26 minutes ago, Karl said:

You're being just as pretentious as the publication you're arguing about 🙄 

Perhaps I am being pretentious, but at least I’m on the right side of music history. You’re only pissed off because I mentioned Madonna.

14 minutes ago, zebulonpyke said:

Did they lie? 

Yes

Ladle Ghoulash
1 hour ago, AJRocketMan said:

Perhaps I am being pretentious, but at least I’m on the right side of music history. You’re only pissed off because I mentioned Madonna.

Yes

As much as I enjoy parts of Born to Die, I certainly think that a lot of it is deeply performative, so I don’t find that review unwarranted imo. 

JazzGa

I am LIVING for all of these great NFR reviews! I survived the absurd post-SNL Born To Die hipster Lana assassination era, the Lana "promotes domestic violence" Ultraviolence era, and all the bullsh*t from the d!ck-waving talking heads of indie for all these years and FINALLY she gets the recognition she deserves! Bless all the female reviewers I'm seeing now, too :wub:

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

JazzGa
6 hours ago, AJRocketMan said:

Why am I not surprised? The indie community is so sexist and pretentious, they have their heads way too far up their own ass. It seems the more boring an artist gets, the more likely they are to grant them a higher score. They always seem to find ridiculous excuses to criticize a female artist’s work while never bothering to apply the same standards to a man’s. Don’t trust anything Pitchfork says. Lana only got such a high score because she makes music that appeals to nerdy white men who think Radiohead and Kanye West are gods on Earth or dudes who think catchy music = Bad. In 2017 in their retrospective reviews section, they gave Madonna’s Bedtime Stories, her best album, a 6.5/10. They went on to say Human Nature and Take A Bow were the only good songs on the album and that everything else was boring, which is not even remotely close to being true. And it was reviewed by a man. :fail:

Haha sis go in.  I was so happy about P4k finally giving Lana a good review but thanks for reminding me why they still suk 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

AJRocketMan
1 hour ago, zebulonpyke said:

As much as I enjoy parts of Born to Die, I certainly think that a lot of it is deeply performative, so I don’t find that review unwarranted imo. 

And Gaga isn’t performative? Anyways, I believe that Born To Die is not so much fictional as it is an exaggerated retelling of Stories from her real life. But even if it was fake, so what? I truly believe Born To Die is her strongest album for these reasons:

1) It features her prettiest, strongest, and most memorable melodies.

2) It has her catchiest songs, with strong verses, choruses, and hooks. Pretty much every song is fun to sing along to (except maybe Million Dollar Man and Without You).

3) It’s not as slow as her other albums. Additionally, the production isn’t as serious or as ominous as her later work so the record feels unusually cheerful in comparison to everything else that came after.

4) The tracklist has the most variety out of any of her albums.

5) Great music videos. Born To Die is a highly visual album and the music videos really make the songs come to life.

In other words, it’s just fun. That’s what makes the album so great—that the music just speaks for itself and doesn’t get all pretentious like all of her albums since Honeymoon have. Born To Die is her catchiest album and features her catchiest music, although Paradise and Ultraviolence have some of that as well. The increasingly positive reception to Lana’s newer music is proof that people still see pop music as inferior to music without craftsmanship. If a song is catchy and fun, then it can’t serious or artistic. If a song is boring and slow and is super wordy, then it must be a work of art. That’s bullshit. Born To Die is one of many albums that I use as proof that catchy, fun music can be artistic.

1 hour ago, the Devil of Pop said:

Haha sis go in.  I was so happy about P4k finally giving Lana a good review but thanks for reminding me why they still suk 

I’ve never paid attention to Pitchfork or taken them seriously, as I’ve always known them as pretentious, cringey, arrogant, and ultimately clueless. They’ve always been a joke in my eyes. Yes, it’s fun to see your favorite artists get recognition, but when it comes from incredibly sexist and biased sources such as Pitchfork, I just fail to be amused. In spite of the huge influence it has, this publication has failed to ever contribute any significant change or evolution to the culture, even though that’s exactly why it was founded in the first place: To move culture forward. Even Gaga was a fan of them at one point.

Judas Society
13 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

1989 doesn't have universal praise though. It has only 76 on metacritic. Even ASIB got a higher score.

Didn't know that. I always thought it was universal since the media was lapping it up like a hungry dog.

Lord Temptation
8 hours ago, hausofcy said:

Gurl, you're the one still checking out threads about her while arguing with half the people in there :rip: 

Whatever makes you feel good I guess :ladyhaha:

Gurl, you replied to me, not the other way round. I haven’t argued with anyone, you are the one who can’t accept my opinion :pray:

Sickness
8 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

I’ve been saying this for ages, Bedtime Stories is Madonna’s best album. But most Madonna fans hate that album. The way I feel about Lana is that she is a parody of Lizzy Grant. It was bleak but at least Lizzy made music for her self. Lana serves nostalgia. She makes music for the media.

You're saying this on a forum dedicated to Lady Gaga. Make it make sense.

hausofcy
12 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Gurl, you replied to me, not the other way round. I haven’t argued with anyone, you are the one who can’t accept my opinion :pray:

i can accept a well argued opinion. someone just bumping into a thread to trigger some people is just so low. Don't quote me again. have a good one :vegas: 

🇯🇵

Lord Temptation
7 minutes ago, Cervaantes said:

Gurl, this thread is about Lana del Ray, let’s not get sidetracked :pray: :reductive: :poot:

AJRocketMan
1 hour ago, Cervaantes said:

60% of topics on this website aren’t even dedicated to Gaga. It hasn’t been this way in years. This place should be renamed “Culture Daily” instead and become more focused on general pop music and culture topics rather than just Gaga.

Archived