news

Billboard prediction: No ASIB for AOTY 2020

Luna Lovegood

Featured Posts

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
S0436

A live album of songs already released for album of the year?  They’ve gone mad surely.

Well, last year they were writing:

"Rap’s ruling class will surely make at least a couple of appearances in the Grammys’ marquee category, led by Drake, whose Scorpion posted the year’s best first-week numbers and spawned a trio of multiweek No. 1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100. (It didn’t get his strongest reviews, but neither did Views, Drake’s 2016 best-seller, which was also nominated for top honors.) The combined acclaim and name recognition of Beyoncé and Jay-Z should get The Carters’ Everything Is Love a look here as well (neither Bey nor Jay has won the award yet), while breakout star Cardi B may join them with her chart-busting and widely adored Invasion of Privacy. Mega-pop should also make a strong showing in the category, led by Grande and her well-received Sweetener. Smith, a nominee in 2015 for In the Lonely Hour, could go two for two with late 2017’s chart-topping The Thrill of It All. And while Swift’s Reputation wasn’t as universally acclaimed as her previous two album of the year winners (2010’s Fearless and 2016’s 1989), don’t count the new Taylor out. Which fringe candidates might take advantage of the extra slots? Future-funk practitioner MonĂĄe should have a shot with her sci-fi opus Dirty Computer, which bears the influence of her mentor, Prince. So should rock maestro St. Vincent for her expansive and highly personal MASSEDUCTION, along with alt-country favorite Kacey Musgraves for Golden Hour, her most rapturously reviewed and crossover-accessible set to date -- though none of these three were commercial blockbusters. Finally, don’t dismiss the chances of the Lamar-curated Black Panther album becoming the first soundtrack to score an album of the year nod since O Brother, Where Art Thou? won in 2002."

And the nominees were Kacey, Cardi B, Brandi Carlile, Drake, H.E.R., Janelle Monae and Black Panther, so they were not quite right after all. Grammys are always unpredictable.

HausOfMiklaus

ASIB and IGOR need to make themselves known in these pre-Grammys buzz. Spread the message far and wide, Monsters.

edengowon

Homecoming isn't even new music fml, it's literally a live album, it shouldn't be nominated at all

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Morphine Prince

Billie deserves. Album of the year for me so far. She catapulted into the mainstream with force this year after slowly creeping up for 2+ years. 

Plus it's basically anti-Pop and different from others right now. 

JazzGa

If there was more than 1 song that was actually an event from the album, I could see ASIB having a chance. But as a whole album, it wasn't a cultural phenomenon. Only the one song, Shallow, was. (More tears shed over the missed opportunities of ARUTW, INLA, and ITA! :cryga: )

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with BrianđŸŽș and SteveđŸŽ·

gagannefrancc
2 minutes ago, the Devil of Pop said:

If there was more than 1 song that was actually an event from the album, I could see ASIB having a chance. But as a whole album, it wasn't a cultural phenomenon. Only the one song, Shallow, was. (More tears shed over the missed opportunities of ARUTW, INLA, and ITA! :cryga: )

the album itself sold nearly 6m ww and the album tracks are smashing worldwide and you're telling me it wasn't a cultural phenomenon. i have to laugh.  asib  literally won BAFTA not just shallow the song. 

JazzGa
4 minutes ago, gagannefrancc said:

the album itself sold nearly 6m ww and the album tracks are smashing worldwide and you're telling me it wasn't a cultural phenomenon. i have to laugh.  asib  literally won BAFTA not just shallow the song. 

Lol. Okay, thanks for that aggression. It's just my opinion.

The album sold well and non-singles charted decently, but nothing was done with the hype. That's what I mean by it wasn't an event. Not that people didn't care, but that Cooper/Gaga didn't do anything with the hype over non-Shallow songs.

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with BrianđŸŽș and SteveđŸŽ·

Andreu
1 hour ago, AndiGaga said:

Homecoming for AOTY!? :ladyhaha:

:ladyhaha::ladyhaha::ladyhaha::ladyhaha::ladyhaha::ladyhaha:

if they nominate her and someone dares to say shes not overrated afterwards :bradley:

Anderson123
37 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Mess at ANYONE who even thought it could win AOTY. Never in a million years:toofunny:

Dude, Joanne won Pop Solo performance, at this point anything can happen. Even Summerboy or Retro Dance Freak could get Record and Song of the Year after that. 

Archived