Stefani Tee
politics

Merkel gives Britain until October 31st for Brexit solution

Featured Posts

Melech

“Merkel had appeared to lay down the 30-day rule to solve the vexed issue of
the Irish border "backstop" when she met British Prime Minister Boris Johnson
in Berlin on Wednesday.

"I said that what you want to do in three or two years, you can do in 30 days -- or rather, you would have to say: you can do it by October 31st," Merkel said at a press conference in The Hague with Dutch premier Mark Rutte.

So it's not about 30 days, but they were symbolic for the fact that you can do it in a short period of time."

Merkel said she was giving the new date "because Great Britain said they would like to leave the European Union on 31 October."

"And until then we have to work on it -- work on it if the will exists on both sides."

The German leader said the aim was to find a regime that both respects the two-decade old peace agreement in the British province of Northern Ireland "and at the same time we can ensure the integrity of the (EU's) internal market."

https://www.thelocal.de/20190822/merkel-gives-britain-until-october-31-for-brexit-solution

• Like 1

xoxo Craig

Good. That means that Scotland can finally plan for independence and to rejoin the E.U:vegas:  Brexit is gonna destroy the UK and I am here for it. Serves the English right for voting for it

• Like 6

Mr Mirko

I am not from Germany, I really admire her. Somebody gotta say that. Johnson has put the leg on the table in front of Macron. Macaron. So disrespectful. UK was always dangerous. Someone told them 2x no for European Community 

Florian
6 minutes ago, Mr Mirko said:

I am not from Germany, I really admire her. Somebody gotta say that. Johnson has put the leg on the table in front of Macron. Macaron. So disrespectful. UK was always dangerous. Someone told them 2x no for European Community 

It came from a joke Macron said himself about the table. And Johnson just played along. Both were amused, there is no disrespect really.

And I'm in no way defending him, I'm just giving the behind the scene about that picture :laughga:

GovernmentWarrior

I’m still amazed that because the Uk made this decision (without being fully informed of the extent of the consequences) that Ireland will take a hit. Love British people but this just isn’t fair 

Monster 🎶 Navy 🎶 Animal
  • Like 1

Henri Bardot

Independent Scotland and a reunified Ireland

Edited by Henri Bardot
boys don't cry
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 5
  • Love 1

S0436
7 minutes ago, Henri Bardot said:

Independent Scotland and a reunified Ireland

I would like to see that, but both sets of people voted in a democratic vote that they don’t want that.  The Brexit vote was also an example of democracy.   Our ancestors died so people could vote!

Edited by S0436

BenG

This is false. Merkel’s spokesperson has clarified. She meant if there were a solution, it would have been found during negotiations over the past two years. Time frame is not a barrier - a solution simply doesn’t exist. British media misinterpeted her figure of speech. 

xoxo Craig
14 minutes ago, S0436 said:

I would like to see that, but both sets of people voted in a democratic vote that they don’t want that.  The Brexit vote was also an example of democracy.   Our ancestors died so people could vote!

Not sure on the Irish but the Scotland vote in 2014 was under completely different circumstances to what they are now. The English tricked everyone, scared the elderly that they would lose their pension in an independent Scotland, scared the public that the only way to protect EU membership was to be part of the UK, they scared everyone on many different things and told lies... and there is video evidence of people rigging the vote. Scotland in 2019 is different than Scotland 2014... and more and more polls suggest people want independence. The SNP won a majority and have a mandate that if the circumstances change (Scotland being dragged out of the E.U against its will) then we could call for a 2nd Indy Ref.

The Brexit vote was also not democratic. It was an advisory vote that was won on a small margin. Plus, 2 out of 4 nations voted differently to eachother. Scotland voted 62% to remain, a clear majority. They should have either gave a 2nd vote or thrown it out completely.

Edited by xoxo Craig
  • Like 2

Fiendman
18 minutes ago, S0436 said:

Uhm sorry, when did we, as an Irish population, vote not to have a unified country? That was decided FOR us, if memory serves? 

Bear
1 hour ago, xoxo Craig said:

Good. That means that Scotland can finally plan for independence and to rejoin the E.U:vegas:  Brexit is gonna destroy the UK and I am here for it. Serves the English right for voting for it

ehh I know what you are saying but it's a bit harsh to say that the obvious oncoming downfall is deserved when the vote in England was 53% vs 46%.

Those margins are almost identical to that of the Scottish referendrum. It would be like me saying Scotland deserves to fail with the rest of us because they chose to stay in this mess rather than split off when you had the chance (when in reality the vote was so close you guys should absolutely have the right to vote again given this huge change in circumstance.)

I get the position you are coming from, but at the same time I get so defensive myself when people brand it as some sort of unanimous vote that happened that can just be blamed on the entirety of the UK. The reality is this vote is not a reflection of a unified decision.  I am absolutely not responsible or supportive of this, in my opinion, clusterfuck of an event and neither is almost half the country.

This is gunna affect every part of the UK badly. It's gunna affect the EU badly. There are no positives outcomes from this from where I am standing, just different shades of loss :toofunny: I don't think anyone should be celebrating it or saying it's deserved when every part of the UK had plenty of people who contributed to the current situation, Scotland included.

gagzus

I honestly wish we would just either revoke it or the EU should say if we can’t find a solution it will automatically revoke and we won’t be able to use Article 50 again for another decade or something along those lines.

Politicians are stubborn and our public is misinformed and unaware, give us strict and consequential deadlines with outcomes and watch how fast politicians will stop “refusing to settle”.

We can ultimately blame Nigel Farage’s racism and David Cameron’s idiocy for this all starting in the first place

Edited by gagzus
2012ga is my aesthetic

xoxo Craig
3 hours ago, Bear said:

ehh I know what you are saying but it's a bit harsh to say that the obvious oncoming downfall is deserved when the vote in England was 53% vs 46%.

Those margins are almost identical to that of the Scottish referendrum. It would be like me saying Scotland deserves to fail with the rest of us because they chose to stay in this mess rather than split off when you had the chance (when in reality the vote was so close you guys should absolutely have the right to vote again given this huge change in circumstance.)

I get the position you are coming from, but at the same time I get so defensive myself when people brand it as some sort of unanimous vote that happened that can just be blamed on the entirety of the UK. The reality is this vote is not a reflection of a unified decision.  I am absolutely not responsible or supportive of this, in my opinion, cluster**** of an event and neither is almost half the country.

This is gunna affect every part of the UK badly. It's gunna affect the EU badly. There are no positives outcomes from this from where I am standing, just different shades of loss :toofunny: I don't think anyone should be celebrating it or saying it's deserved when every part of the UK had plenty of people who contributed to the current situation, Scotland included.

Okay I never knew you were from the UK :selena:

But if you want to look at it, Wales and England voted for Brexit. I do believe that it was a very stupid decision that was made, a lot of people were uneducated on what they were voting on. I maybe just bitter because as a Scottish citizen I am fed up with our voice not being heard

I am fed up with people from the EU branding me as English and that we all think and talk the same. I keep having to remind people that Scotland chose to stay in the EU and we hold European values... so I do agree with you. I certainly didn't mean to say all English are at fault, and I don't blame you at all... its the people like Nigel Farage and the people who believe in his drivel who I blame. I blame David Cameron for allowing the EU referendum to even occur. I blame Theresa May for not being strong enough to say no. I blame Jeremy Corbyn for never being decisive enough on anything. 

The last point though, I dont agree with.  The vote in Scotland was 63% to remain, and while Nicola Sturgeon has tried making talks for an independent Scotland the tory government is ignoring Scotland. For us, the sooner Brexit happens the sooner we can start our campaign for independence and rejoining the EU. You are welcome to join btw ;)    In the UK, its supposed to be a union of equals... yet its the opposite. And if you look through history its always been England dictates and everyone else has to follow. There could have easily been talks to arrange a deal that Scotland + N.I (especially with the border) remain as E.U countries as this is what we voted for. But no, this is not the case as the Tories kept saying "the UK voted to leave". And with a margin of just 2% the vote should have never been carried through.

I really want to stress that I dont hate English people. Some people think wanting independence is a "hating English" agenda.... it really is nothing like that. I just want my country to be governed in Scotland rather than having some major issues decided by Westminster. Scotland & England can be separate but be friends/partners and thats all we want

Akiki
5 hours ago, xoxo Craig said:

I'm loving this drama. Meanwhile the EU already prepared for the Brexit while the UK still dont agree on anything. Can't wait the Irish and Scottish independence. 

Brexit offended me deeply as pro EU. It was a dumb move made by dumb people. They could leave but the way the treated the European Union and the other countries was wrong as hell. 

Akiki
3 hours ago, Bear said:

I get the position you are coming from, but at the same time I get so defensive myself when people brand it as some sort of unanimous vote that happened that can just be blamed on the entirety of the UK. The reality is this vote is not a reflection of a unified decision.  I am absolutely not responsible or supportive of this, in my opinion, cluster**** of an event and neither is almost half the country.

Honey, at this point in time inly the UK is in denial. The EU made their mind about it already. They must leave.  Brexit is an offense to the EU. Disrespectful to all the other members. The anti EU campaign should block them of even applying to the EU in the future tbh. I do hope that Ireland can be United and Scotland can find their independence and join the EU if they wish for. England can sink tbh. 

• Like 1