Stefani Tee
other

Amazon Rain Forest Burning for Three Weeks now; Gets Little Media Coverage

Featured Posts

Economy
18 minutes ago, Snejana said:

girl we know the forest is immense and that its virtually impossible for it to be obliterated by the recent fires dkfkks

what's alarming about this situation: 1) setting the Amazon on fire for cattle unfortunately is a very old and commonplace practice here in Brazil but what's scaring us is the growing rate of those fires, Jair Bolsonaro's administration basically crushed almost every single law that barely protected the environment, indigenous land and it's people. He views protected land and native Brazilians as threats to progress, so he's doing the best he can to wipe them out and give landowners a free pass to do whatever they want for profit;

2) true the Amazon won't disappear with those fires but there's a threshold of how much it can endure, if its exceeded a devastating and irreversible process of desertification will begin to take place, the rainforest will lose it's resilience and literally turn into a desert. If landowners keep burning the Amazon at this rate the threshold previously mentioned will quickly be crossed;

3) yeah the Amazon is not the planet's lungs by any stretch but it absorbs and stores large amounts of carbon, so by logic if you burn it all this carbon is released and the absorbing capacity is lost/severely diminished;

It's not drama or fear mongering lmfao it's just a reaction to the president's murderous and criminal far right administration. Just to give two examples: Jair Bolsonaro's literally fired Ricardo Galvão, the men in charge of INPE (the national institute of spacial research), just because he doesn't believe in climate change and sees scientists as imbeciles; just a month ago Emyre Waiãpi an indigenous leader and activist was murdered by woodcutters as retaliation from landowners. It may seem dramatic bc news coverage fails to give the whole picture, how this situation encircles not only ecology but social and most importantly political aspects.

No I get that. I wasn't disagreeing with any of this. It wasn't really my point

But nvm I don't wanna keep explaining it over and over again. I think I got my opinion across on ethics of truth

Snejana
26 minutes ago, Economy said:

No I get that. I wasn't disagreeing with any of this. It wasn't really my point

But nvm I don't wanna keep explaining it over and over again. I think I got my opinion across on ethics of truth

your point: people reporting this are acting like demagogues and as result the discussion is being diluted, not that hard to grasp you got that across quite efficiently. I believe you think a neutral approach should be adhered, which would be fair and reasonable in a different situation but this case is extreme even level headed scientists here in Brazil are desperate lol but yeah let's keep it cute and disagree peacefully

• Like 1