Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Spider Man out of MCU?

LateToCult

Featured Posts

LateToCult

EA67-B398-C2-FE-4-B29-A0-FC-A2-ADC526-BF

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feigewon’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfall to become the all time highest grossing film for Sony Pictures.

Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won’t be the lead creative producer of those pictures.

There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it’s easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don’t believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn’t want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused.

Now, it’s easy to say that Feige has enough on his plate, especially after taking control of the X-Men universe in the Fox acquisition, including the Deadpool franchise, along with architecting the next phase of the Marvel superhero universe and building movies and shows for Disney +. But I’m told Feige loves Spider-Man, arguably the biggest superhero character in the Marvel canon. He would have continued if Disney and Sony could have reached new deal terms.

Full story: https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-spider-man-franchise-exit-disney-sony-dispute-avengers-endgame-captain-america-winter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm taking this with a grain of salt but if so... bruh. Are Sony idiots? FFH and Homecoming did SO well and the Spider-Man character is doing so much better now that he's in the MCU...

Nightwing

I hate when things like this happen; all over money. Which, I understand it.

As long as I get my Venom (Tom Hardy) & Spider-Man (Tom Holland) film, then I'm fine. That's my biggest concern. I read something earlier this year saying that they'd potentially be crossing over with each other, which I hope to be true. And since this happened, it's becoming more likely.

In the meantime, I'm sure the quality of these films won't decay... even with Kevin no longer being involved. Sony did well with Venom.

HoneyB

I’m  cackling at the fact that Sony thinks they’ll do a good job with Spider-Man clearly Marvel knows what they’re doing with him due to the positive reception:triggered: I hope this isn’t true I really want to see a venom/Spider-Man crossover...

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

Spock
5 minutes ago, Blue Madonna said:

I'm taking this with a grain of salt but if so... bruh. Are Sony idiots? FFH and Homecoming did SO well and the Spider-Man character is doing so much better now that he's in the MCU...

Deadline is literally the most reliable and respected industry trade sis :vegas:

I'm surprised Kevin Feige let this happen and didn't stand down after all the effort it took them to get him in the MCU.

I'm sure/hope they'll reach an agreement

who will love me when the night is over

Mindblown
13 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

There is a lot of webbing here

Hahaha i see what they did there.

We need more Tom Holland so they better get it together.

Spoiler

original.gif

xoxo Craig

Buzzfeed also reported this... hopefully its not true. I mean, Spiderman is supposed to fill Tony Starks shoes. I'll be so upset if this is true

End Racism Now

Reality

I saw this report earlier, and it sort of confused me...

Like, I understand that Kevin Feige looks like he's not going to be the producer of the Spider-Man movies, but with Jon Watts and Tom Holland returning (and presumably, with the rest of the cast), would that mean that it's still MCU canon? I would think so, but Feige's also the type of person to be very strict about what he wants/doesn't want in the MCU. I mean, all of the Netflix Marvel shows and the other spin-off Marvel shows (i.e. Agents of Shield) weren't really connected to the MCU either.

Either way, I believe that they're going to settle on some sort of an agreement. Spider-Man is the most popular character in these films (aside from the OG Avengers, but their time is pretty much up now). They're not going to let this opportunity go to waste. And surprisingly, it doesn't look like Disney's being to greedy one here...They wanted a 50/50 split, but Sony decided not to accept that. Sony needs to just make some sort of deal with them if they know what's best for them.

🖤👹

Good news, the MCU spider-man is a lame basic boy who is sometinh close to a wannabe sidekick superheroe. 

The last two movies have been basic, forgettable and have lame stories, Sony can perfectly make a good spiderman movie, just like the first two released in the 2000 and the animated one. Also, is good that Disney does not have control over the next movie, that means a more mature movie and less cheesy-onliners jokes. 

jacs vs looser
40 minutes ago, Nightwing said:

I hate when things like this happen; all over money. Which, I understand it.

As long as I get my Venom (Tom Hardy) & Spider-Man (Tom Holland) film, then I'm fine. That's my biggest concern. I read something earlier this year saying that they'd potentially be crossing over with each other, which I hope to be true. And since this happened, it's becoming more likely.

In the meantime, I'm sure the quality of these films won't decay... even with Kevin no longer being involved. Sony did well with Venom.

I wish they could reach an agreement on which Spiderman just "moves" to the Venom multiverse and his character continues developing there, following a more mature type of films where he is a stronger stand-alone hero, in the sense that Marvel kind of turned him into a sidekick.

Lextyr97
27 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

I saw this report earlier, and it sort of confused me...

Like, I understand that Kevin Feige looks like he's not going to be the producer of the Spider-Man movies, but with Jon Watts and Tom Holland returning (and presumably, with the rest of the cast), would that mean that it's still MCU canon? I would think so, but Feige's also the type of person to be very strict about what he wants/doesn't want in the MCU. I mean, all of the Netflix Marvel shows and the other spin-off Marvel shows (i.e. Agents of Shield) weren't really connected to the MCU either.

Either way, I believe that they're going to settle on some sort of an agreement. Spider-Man is the most popular character in these films (aside from the OG Avengers, but their time is pretty much up now). They're not going to let this opportunity go to waste. And surprisingly, it doesn't look like Disney's being to greedy one here...They wanted a 50/50 split, but Sony decided not to accept that. Sony needs to just make some sort of deal with them if they know what's best for them.

Think about it from a business perspective on Sony’s side though. They had a 5%/95% deal and Sony isn’t doing that well. I think it’s smart of them to refuse. However I don’t think they pulled completely. I can’t fathom that Sony wouldn’t counter. I think something got mixed up in the reporting

Reality
24 minutes ago, TylerBR97 said:

Think about it from a business perspective on Sony’s side though. They had a 5%/95% deal and Sony isn’t doing that well. I think it’s smart of them to refuse. However I don’t think they pulled completely. I can’t fathom that Sony wouldn’t counter. I think something got mixed up in the reporting

Is the 5/95% thing fact or a hyperbole? I genuinely don't know what their contract/deal with Marvel was, I'm just curious.

What I do know about the Sony/Marvel deal though is that Sony gets the money that the movie makes in theatres, while Disney gets money from stuff like merchandise. 

From a business standpoint, it makes 100% sense why Sony would want to pull out of the deal, but at the same time, I think it's also important for them to remember why  Spider-Man is so popular. It's because of Feige, Marvel Studios, and the MCU that Tom Holland's Spider-Man is so successful. People often forget that Sony is even really associated with the film. Sony could and probably would make more money with Spider-Man in the MCU than with him not in it.

🖤👹

If there's an outcry they'll of course reach a deal. You'd have to be stupid to not get on board for one of these cash-grab blockbusters. 

The last Spiderman movie was Sony's highest grossing film..ever. :madge:

Archived