???  

410 members have voted

1. 1. ???

Featured Posts

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haroon

By a significant margin, yes :emma: It seems like a collection of random songs thrown together, some are good and some (most) are forgettable in my opinion :sweat: 

dynamite
42 minutes ago, Haroon said:

By a significant margin, yes :emma: It seems like a collection of random songs thrown together, some are good and some (most) are forgettable in my opinion :sweat: 

omg no :selena:

61Bp8oo.jpg

• 3 months later...
BabyMario44
On 8/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, GagaInTheZone said:

ARTPOP is, for obvious reasons

Cheek To Cheek is. ARTPOP is underrated.

I STAN FOR TALENT

A Hybrid
On 8/20/2019 at 5:22 AM, rumours said:

C2C > Joanne = ASIB > TFM > ARTPOP > BTW > TF

Exactly except I’d rank ASIB below TFM because of the 3 mocking pop songs :giveup:

No family’s safe when I sashay

Lady Adga
8 minutes ago, BabyMario44 said:

Cheek To Cheek is. ARTPOP is underrated.

Cheek To Cheek is one of her best :triggered:

Chromaticunt

It's hard to be objective about this. Comparing Joanne to her other albums is like oil and water. 

In terms of being successful in what each of her albums sets out to do... yes, I think Joanne is her worst. I don't think Joanne was a particularly great album. It was a middling release for someone who is renowned for making great music. Like others have said, it felt like she had made a bunch of songs and then tried to shoehorn in this Joanne narrative, which didn't relate to the majority of the music. Whenever she spoke in interviews about how the album is about her relationship with her dad, I was like BITCH WHERE. She mentions family in about three songs. The rest are about friends, lovers, or grandiose statements about society. The album doesn't feel centred around that which she claims it to centre around. And for that reason I don't think it succeeds. 

Another problem I have with it is its claim to be more authentic than her other albums. Stripping away the costumes and electronic music doesn't make it more authentic. In fact in the obvious effort to "strip back", she somehow comes across as trying even harder to manufacture a certain image than she did when she was dressing up as a Christmas tree or a giant slice of toast. The cowgirl aesthetic also feels highly at odds with her upbringing as a city girl in New York. It just feels like another costume, only it feels more artificial than any other eras because she's claiming it's her authentic self rather than proudly claiming it to be artifice.

So yeah. I think Joanne is her worst album because it doesn't succeed in what it sets out to do and because it wears authenticity like another costume, which unsurprisingly makes it feel like her most inauthentic era.

Didymus

Without a doubt, yes. It's more bland and uninspired (musically) than her debut album which was an intentionally basic pop album infused with a few interesting musical touches. So for her big "true artist reveal" album Joanne was shockingly formulaic and whatever. Not a fan. At all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived