Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Quebec To Revoke Immigrants Who Don't Speak French

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4854107/quebec-french-language-values-test-newcomers/amp/

The Province of Quebec is planning to implement a program where after 3 years of residence in a Province, immigrants must prove they have learned a reasonable amount of French and fit enough of Quebec's and "French Values" in order to be able to stay in Quebec

Tho most of Canada does not support this criteria, Quebec has special autonomy in immigration selection with low Interfearance from Federal Government

• Like 2
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 17

gumzy3000

I live in Toronto and some of the immigrants who come here that can’t speak English speak several languages and it might take them longer to learn English. Obviously this is not true for all immigrants but so many of them know more than one language and it will take time for them to adapt to English. I hope this doesn’t pass in Quebec

A messy blend of logic and sass

Andreu

I do not necessarily see a problem with the language part but on the other hand the "french values" things smells fishy

soundcloud.com/andreusongs
  • Like 6

GagaMariaSpears

The original Quebec inhabitants weren't even French so...:awkney:

• Like 9

Lilmonzter

Quebec has always had issues with people who don't french haven't they be it politicians or otherwise! Somehow this doesn't seem to surprise me given the global anti immigrant rhetoric now!

But from Canada it still  hurts!:smh:

Although  je parle un peu français 

Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
  • Like 1

Squeeshy Keety

"You come to our country, you speak our language" nonsense again 

Pathetic :vegas:

I'm the one in the corner snuggling your keety and stealing all its love 😼
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 1

Edonis

This is an absolute joke.  From the banning of religious symbols to the Malala comment to this. Quebec has really gone down hill as of late, and it's sad that this is the case considering how diverse their demographics once were. Absolute  :flop:

I'm glad that Qubecers and other Canadians are speaking up about this and (rightfully) calling them out. Cheers to them :vegas:

davflz

yikes. obviously immigrants should be encouraged to learn the native language of their new country, both for their own and society's benefit, but to make them leave if they don't... :poot:

also you have to take into consideration that many immigrants deal with trauma, family issues, trouble of finding housing & access to education etc. that probably makes it hard to focus. Plus I'm sure that oftentimes it takes months for immigrants to actually get access to language classes, because of bureaucratic and organizational issues.

• Like 2

LaLa

Oh boy... 'French Values' :awkney:

If I moved there (from Ontario) would they check up on my french skills in three years? Like, come on

• Like 1

dit

In Quebec they view it as a matter of preservation in a rapidly changing Canada where anglophones are essentially "taking over" even in Quebec. So for Quebec to mostly accept immigrants from countries that speak French is what they view as ok. A lot of African countries speak French and so they'll receive immigrants from there. But I do see how this is flawed and can be seen as extreme. Tbh in my personal opinion it is wrong because you are not giving immigrants a chance to learn French when they come to Quebec but I dont think they are saying they will stop getting immigrants. Just they will pick and choose from where they accept immigrants. I guess they'll just increase North African and Western African immigration instead of maybe Europeans immigrants, Asian immigrants etc...

Edited by dit
  • Like 1

Bio
6 minutes ago, dit said:

In Quebec they view it as a matter of preservation in a rapidly changing Canada where anglophones are essentially "taking over" even in Quebec. So for Quebec to mostly accept immigrants from countries that speak French is what they view as ok. A lot of African countries speak French and so they'll receive immigrants from there. But I do see how this is flawed and can be seen as extreme. Tbh in my personal opinion it is wrong because you are not giving immigrants a chance to learn French when they come to Quebec but I dont think they are saying they will stop getting immigrants. Just they will pick and choose from where they accept immigrants. I guess they'll just increase North African and Western African immigration instead of maybe Europeans immigrants, Asian immigrants etc...

I think if they're afraid of losing they're culture they should create programs that encourage people to learn more about it, not banish them from the country. And tbh "French values" sound very open to interpretation and not fair at all.

• Like 2

Economy
34 minutes ago, LaLa said:

Oh boy... 'French Values' :awkney:

If I moved there (from Ontario) would they check up on my french skills in three years? Like, come on

It wouldn't apply to Canadians because the freedom of mobility in the charter if Rights and freedoms gives a Canadian citizen the right to live in any Province in Confederation

Quebec may have special autonomy in many things but they are not exempt from the Canadian charter of Rights and freedoms

• Thanks 1

Economy
41 minutes ago, Edonis said:

This is an absolute joke.  From the banning of religious symbols to the Malala comment to this. Quebec has really gone down hill as of late, and it's sad that this is the case considering how diverse their demographics once were. Absolute  :flop:

I'm glad that Qubecers and other Canadians are speaking up about this and (rightfully) calling them out. Cheers to them :vegas:

It's not as of late. Quebec has always been the most intolerant part of Canada for accepting other cultures

As far back as the 1940s there was incidents where the Supreme Court of Canada intervened when Quebec tried to ban religious minorities like Jehovah's Witnesses

• Shook 1

Edonis
1 minute ago, Economy said:

It's not as of late. Quebec has always been the most intolerant part of Canada for accepting other cultures

As far back as the 1940s there was incidents where the Supreme Court of Canada intervened when Quebec tried to ban religious minorities like Jehovah's Witnesses

Yikes, I wasn't aware of the persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses back then. What I meant to say was that the demographics of Quebec (at least in major cities) has usually been quite diverse compared to rural areas. And one can't deny the recent efforts in the province that bear striking similarities to a lot of right-wing propaganda spread in parts of Europe. I certainly seems like it's gotten worse over time, especially with what you shared.

My boyfriend has always been fairly hesitant about Quebec being a Canadian as well. I've always wanted to see the nature in Quebec and visit some landmarks and stuff. And Montreal too as I think parts of the city are stunning but he keeps telling me about all of the awful experiences he's had there :messga:

These recent political and social issues aren't helping matters tbh. 

• Sad 1