series

"Friends" Episodes to Hit Movie Theaters This Fall

Teal Ambition

Featured Posts

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JusKeepBreathin

6 white people living in NY who never interacted with a brown, black or Asian person. 

Whatever 

I don't even think they ever interacted with a LGBTQ person either. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 hour ago, lego said:

Friends were funny when they originally aired, but now it’s just

giphy.gif

Yeah. I think a big caveat of its nostalgia wave is that, for no fault of its own, it existed within a particular time frame. It's aged.

It'll be like this with The Office in ten years, too.

3 points in and ready for more

9 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

6 white people living in NY who never interacted with a brown, black or Asian person. 

Whatever 

Yeah. It's cute and fun for its time, but it's very very obviously a popular sitcom that was a product of early 90's Middle American media.

3 points in and ready for more

JusKeepBreathin
4 minutes ago, Miel said:

Yeah. It's cute and fun for its time, but it's very very obviously a popular sitcom that was a product of early 90's Middle American media.

It aged terribly. I Love Lucy aged better. The Carol Burnett show aged better. Mama's Family aged better. Every Cher TV special aged better. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

ChromaticaPunk
50 minutes ago, CyanLights said:

I love the show but why would I pay to watch in in a movie theater? Idk seems like a cash grab tbh :shrug:

everything is a cash grab... :huh:

CyanLights
36 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Whatever 

Yeah, the main characters are all white. The cultural representation extends to insignificant characters who had a role for no more than a season (Julie, Charlie, etc) 

They did have a lesbian couple who was a significant part of the show though (one of Ross’ ex wives). And chandler’s father is transgender I believe (but they made that the butt of the joke so it wasn’t really proper representation tbh) 

39 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Whatever 

No, the lesbian marriage scene was a huge step for its time. It was before any country had legalized it yet. 

RAMROD
50 minutes ago, Teal Ambition said:

I'm hoping :giveup: They already have that huge pop up show in NYC, the new LEGO set, the Pottery Barn line, so I'm wondering what else they have brewing for this 25th anniversary :oprah:

If not movie, I am happy with Netflix or Hulu show :sis:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

GypsyBabe
1 hour ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

They aired a lesbian wedding in the first season when it was hugely controversial. They also showed Carol and Susan kissing numerous times which unfortunately caused a lot of backlash. 

Chandlers father was also gay and a drag queen. 

Just because they didn’t check all the diversity boxes doesn’t mean that the show is trash. They did progressive things for the time. 

⚯͛

GypsyBabe

I’m really excited for this! For people around my age, who grew up in the 90s, Friends was a show that everyone loved. Your family could all watch it on Thursday nights and everyone would laugh. Marathons still play on holidays and we tune in. My sister and I still watch it all the time when we are bored just to laugh together. @Teal Ambition and @KleinGa and I watch it together. 

I feel like its super trendy to hate Friends lately and say its not funny or a crappy show. Let people laugh, geez. Even Gaga watches it with her family. 

⚯͛

Teal Ambition
8 minutes ago, GypsyBabe said:

I’m really excited for this! For people around my age, who grew up in the 90s, Friends was a show that everyone loved. Your family could all watch it on Thursday nights and everyone would laugh. Marathons still play on holidays and we tune in. My sister and I still watch it all the time when we are bored just to laugh together. @Teal Ambition and @KleinGa and I watch it together. 

I feel like its super trendy to hate Friends lately and say its not funny or a crappy show. Let people laugh, geez. Even Gaga watches it with her family. 

:kara: One of the many reasons we get along so well in our gc is the love for this show :queenga:

Joey treated women like objects and women in general were degraded throughout the entire series and you don't see me being a SWJ about it :interestinga: I will gladly continue watching for the rest of my life :oops:

▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌

GypsyBabe
7 minutes ago, Teal Ambition said:

Joey treated women like objects and women in general were degraded throughout the entire series and you don't see me being a SWJ about it :interestinga: I will gladly continue watching for the rest of my life :oops:

Its because the show had characters that balanced out their stereotypes. Joey was that way, but the other characters called him on it and he grew into a character who respected women and was able to truly love. 

Rachel was a stereotypical rich girl who was clueless about how to make her way without her daddy’s credit card. The other characters help her to be independent and she become a very successful and well rounded woman. 

Monica was a neurotic neat freak who was obsessed with getting married and Chandler was there to balance her. 

And so on. The characters grow evolve out of their stereotypes. Its about a time in your life when you future is just beginning. The time in your mid to late 20s that is so special and weird, and you wont know how special it is until you’re 30. 

⚯͛

Archived