Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
tech

Huawei Announces Harmony OS

Featured Posts

RAMROD

In the city of Dongguan, China, Huawei finally took the wraps off its long-rumored, first-party operating system. The OS, called Harmony OS, has been in development for several years, but it’s recently taken on a role as a key player in Huawei’s contingency plan since the U.S. enacted a trade ban on the Chinese technology company. At the Huawei Developer Conference, Huawei finally shared the first details about its in-house OS, but the company wasn’t ready to show off Harmony on smartphones just yet.

Huawei says its new Hongmeng – or Harmony – OS isn’t built for smartphones, at least not yet

Hongmeng is a vast mist, a primordial chaos and a wild goose. Aside from 2,000+ year-old Chinese mythology, it’s also the name of the operating system that Huawei has been building for two years and just officially announced at its developer conference. Vast sounds apt, but chaotic and wild? That sounds more like every other attempt to build a rival OS to Android over the past decade.

Here’s what we know so far. Hongmeng, or Harmony OS in its international form, is a multi-device OS currently based on Linux that’s open source, compatible with Android apps and designed to power smart displays, wearables, smart speakers, VR smartglasses, in-car systems and PCs. Note that the list does not include smartphones, despite persistent rumours that Huawei plans to launch either a range of low-cost handsets or even a Mate 30 flagship phone with Hongmeng OS later in 2019.

Since 2008, when the first Android phone, the HTC Dream/G1, was released, the big product manufacturers have taken various shots at Android and its offshoots, all ending in failure. In smartphones, the most high profile is Samsung’s experiments with Tizen, with success at the low-end and mid-range in Asia, Latin America and the Middle East but now seemingly relegated to its smartwatch line-up. The last new Tizen phone was the Samsung Z4 in May 2017 and support for the My Galaxy app was killed back in January.

Another attempt to be the third smartphone OS, Windows Phone, also never took off despite promising features such as live tiles and deep Microsoft Office integration together with at times impressive hardware, particularly mid-range options from HTC and Nokia. It’s not totally dead yet – security and other updates for Windows 10 Mobile will end on December 10 – but both operating systems suffered from two fatal issues: a lack of third party apps and a hole where a clear proposition to differentiate it from Android should have been.

So why could Huawei succeed where Samsung and Microsoft failed? It has the resources – Huawei spent more than $15 billion (£12bn) on R&D in 2018 and the official line from Huawei’s top brass that Hongmeng OS has been in development since 2017 is probably Huawei being coy. However, if Huawei can't build a true Android rival with Harmony OS, no-one can.

Full articles at Sources:

https://www.xda-developers.com/harmony-os-huawei-announce/amp/

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/huawei-harmony-os-android

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ Don't ♥ Let ♥ Me ♥ Get ♥ Me♥
  • Shook 3

FATCAT

Hard pass, I'd prefer not to spyed on my china smh

█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓ This püssy grabs back. █▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓█▓
  • LMAO 1
  • Love 1

SHALLOW
24 minutes ago, Auralegends said:

How much of it did they steal from Apple, Google and Samsung? :reductive:

Honestly not much. They’re innovating, thing that Apple hasn’t done in a while. 

Don't you know my a$$ is famous?
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 4

SHALLOW
56 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

Like you’re not spied by google,facebook etc... 

That’s not a good excuse. Those are only allegations

• Thanks 2

FATCAT
1 minute ago, SHALLOW said:

Like you’re not spied by google,facebook etc... 

That’s not a good excuse. Those are only allegations

I feel a lot different about being spied on by US entities than the Chinese.

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1

SHALLOW
7 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

:huntyga: And after all, you’re Just Another User.

LetsGetHigh
12 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

We love racism!

• LMAO 1

FATCAT
1 minute ago, LetsGetHigh said:

We love racism!

How would you even remotely find that racist. 

DeIusional

This thread turned messy real quick 

gretchen amp GIF

give me a reaction or don’t its fine
  • LMAO 3

CautiousLurker
7 minutes ago, LetsGetHigh said:

We love racism!

Not as much as we love homophobia apparently :reductive:

desparate-depression-riddled-d*ck-obsessed-horndog... 4masc

ANTI WP
29 minutes ago, SHALLOW said:

Honestly not much. They’re innovating, thing that Apple hasn’t done in a while. 

:vegas:

JR Gg
1 hour ago, FATCAT said:

All allegations and no proof. 

You're being spied on by Bobby on GGD anyway :ally:

• LMAO 1

LetsGetHigh
3 hours ago, FATCAT said:

How would you even remotely find that racist. 

I'm slightly fine with people being cautious about wanting to use Chinese products, fine. But to acknowledge that numerous countries spy but say you feel "a lot different" just cause it's being done by the Chinese government??? Yeah, that's somewhat racist. 

It's not like the Chinese government has more power than any other government when it comes to data manipulation. 

FATCAT
1 hour ago, LetsGetHigh said:

I'm slightly fine with people being cautious about wanting to use Chinese products, fine. But to acknowledge that numerous countries spy but say you feel "a lot different" just cause it's being done by the Chinese government??? Yeah, that's somewhat racist. 

It's not like the Chinese government has more power than any other government when it comes to data manipulation. 

It has nothing to do with their race. It has everything to do with the fact that I'm American and not Chinese. China is not our ally, and they're un-democratic, of course I'd be more upset that they're spying on me than my own country.

Get out of here with that bs.

• Like 1