Stefani Tee
society

Elderly couple commits suicide because they can’t afford healthcare costs

Featured Posts

homomo

I don’t understand how middle-upper class Americans are happy to pay $250-750 per month for health insurance, when they could pay less than a few hundred dollars out of taxes a YEAR for universal healthcare.

But the answer is clear. These people only care about themselves, and don’t want to contribute a single dollar to other people’s well-being. But listen up sisters, that’s called being part of a ****ing society.  

• Thanks 3

KNJ
2 hours ago, Saint Laurent said:

Is healthcare in the UK 'free'? Absolutely not

It is "free" in that it is societal given. Like how streets and sidewalks are "free" and public schools (called private in uk?) are  "free"

2 hours ago, Saint Laurent said:

It riddles me with confusion why the NHS system (or a variant thereof) has not been readily adopted across the world.

Uh, money. Money. Money. Money. Always...money

When the government cannot provide services of a certain standard, or at all, private companies step in, for a fee. CEOs job is to make money for the investors, not to uphold moral obligation s to fellow humans.   And then they've got you. Bc you will pay $300 for daily  life saving insulin shots and you will be billed for things not even used on you during your visit bc "hey, it's was opened = used = it's gotta come out of someone's check " and you will pay $1k for a five min ambulance ride (like me).

Why? Some ppl don't care if you die, as long as they get their MONEY

the polka king money GIF by NETFLIX

Edited by KNJ
"Bitch, we didn't come this far to go to the Oscars with a root!"

IrishMonster

This is so tragic, it’s breaks my heart :fail:

I know health care is “free” (state funded and out of taxes) to an extent which is great, even though we don’t have the capacity for the country.

i didn’t know this about the Us, I knew insurance is huge there and the costs but I didn’t know it was that bad. So sorry for you US monsters (& everyone else in US) :pawsup:

LADY GAGA, RIHANNA & KESHA ❤️

Economy
1 hour ago, Born To Slay said:

Wow, that’s ****ing depressing. Hopefully grandpa Bernie gets us what we need,

I mean it's not like it's behind by a lot of years but... Yeah

Still several years above world average but I was comparing it specifically to other developed Nations like Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia and OECD Nations in general

Born To Slay
4 minutes ago, Economy said:

I mean it's not like it's behind by a lot of years but... Yeah

Still several years above world average but I was comparing it specifically to other developed Nations like Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia and OECD Nations in general

But we’re America, we’re the richest nation in the history of the world. We should be the top metric on everything. This is utterly ridiculous. 

Morphine Prince
14 hours ago, ChicaSkas said:

Took me months to pay off mine in a payment plan. Had a panic attack *thought it was a heart attack because i'd never had one before* and it cost a LOT.

My mom had a panic attack while a hurricane was heading to our area back when I was a kid and my dad took her to the hospital and all they did was give her some pills and she was there a total of 30 minutes and the bill was almost $4,000. 

Edited by Morphine Prince
The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Love 1
  • Shook 2

Economy
7 minutes ago, Born To Slay said:

But we’re America, we’re the richest nation in the history of the world. We should be the top metric on everything. This is utterly ridiculous. 

What's ur definition of richest?

Cuz I think the best measure is on a per capita basis (wealth of the Nation per person)

Like India and China are huge economies but it's cuz of massive populations... Not cuz they are a wealthy or prosperous Nations

On a per Capita basis there's many countries that are wealthier than the US including:

Norway

Australia

Luxembourg

Switzerland

For quality of life and things like life expectancy the wealth per citizen is more relevant than the total size of the nation's economy

By that measure the US was in the high top 20s last time I saw the list (I think somewhere between #11 and #15 I can't remember the exact ranking). My Country Canada was also somewhere in the top 20s, the GDP per capita was almost the same. Tho I suspect the US climbed a few rankings last couple years due to strengthening economy and stronger US currency

Edited by Economy

ladylinners
19 minutes ago, Born To Slay said:

Adding to @Economy's post

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/economic-data/richest-countries-in-the-world

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-rankings

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/#/11111111111

https://d2tyltutevw8th.cloudfront.net/media/document/un-world-happiness-report-2019-1553524476.pdf

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/non-economic-data/happiest-countries

This index is also interesting. It measures sustainable wellbeing for all

https://happyplanetindex.org/

Hurem

America is truly one of the worst places to live. Imagine having to kill yourself because only rich can afford proper healthcare. 

Alii

This thread made me hate America. 

I knew health care there was expensive but never knew it was that bad.

Though I remember the story of a teenager who committed suicide and survived. His bill was like 100,000$. 

• Shook 1

Born To Slay
38 minutes ago, Economy said:

What's ur definition of richest?

Cuz I think the best measure is on a per capita basis (wealth of the Nation per person)

Like India and China are huge economies but it's cuz of massive populations... Not cuz they are a wealthy or prosperous Nations

On a per Capita basis there's many countries that are wealthier than the US including:

Norway

Australia

Luxembourg

Switzerland

For quality of life and things like life expectancy the wealth per citizen is more relevant than the total size of the nation's economy

By that measure the US was in the high top 20s last time I saw the list (I think somewhere between #11 and #15 I can't remember the exact ranking). My Country Canada was also somewhere in the top 20s, the GDP per capita was almost the same. Tho I suspect the US climbed a few rankings last couple years due to strengthening economy and stronger US currency

16 minutes ago, ladylinners said:

Huh, I’ll have to look into that. It’s a common talking point here that we’re the wealthiest nation on earth and ig I never checked it out. 

Economy
1 hour ago, Born To Slay said:

Huh, I’ll have to look into that. It’s a common talking point here that we’re the wealthiest nation on earth and ig I never checked it out. 

Well the US is the largest economy by that measure it's the richest Country

But by that measure China is the second richest and most of the Population still lives in poverty

The size of the economy is relevant in terms of world influence and power but not necessarily relevant to economic wealth in society as a whole in the nation

Measuring the wealth or GDP per capita (annual economic output per citizen) is far more accurate way to measure how wealthy and prosperous a nation actually is

There's also another way of measuring wealth which is GDP Per Capita in PPP (purchasing power parity) which adjusts for cost of living in each nation and measures how much economic activity and business transaction there is per person in a nation

The US is still quite high on the list by these measures. Definitely not #1 tho. In most of these rankings it's just outside the top 10

ChicaSkas
On 8/10/2019 at 2:32 AM, Unbeweavable said:

!?!?!? I'm honestly speechless.. I had them come to my house once for the same thing D: I can't imagine the stress of then having to pay money I most likely wouldn't have.. wtf

It sucked. I felt this crushing pain in my chest at work (while helping a customer no less.) I kept trying to ignore it and hope it would go away and leave me alone but it kept getting worse and worse. I actually had to tell my customer that I was so sorry but I couldnt help her anymore. The pain was so bad I fell to my knees when I went to tell my boss. So they called an ambulance to take  me to the hospital. Literally thought I was gonna die. Turns out it was a panic attack.

It was over $1,000, to pay the doctors who treated me, the ambulance that took me all of 2 miles to the hospital, and for the heart medication they put me on. Had to call the hospital and the ambulance company and have a payment plan made for me because there was no way especially after missing work due to the hospital that I was gonna be able to pay it off by the deadlines they wanted. Healthcare in California = EXPENSIVE........ :deadbanana:

Are YOU the owner of the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you $$ for it. Picture: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk
  • Love 1