💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

HDD: Beyoncé misses #1

LetsGetHigh

Featured Posts

KatieJudasGaga4
3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

But...no? The charts are still very reliant on radio play. What from The Gift would get radio play? It's mostly afrobeat music. Unless it had a HUGE push, it isn't the sort of music that'll get picked up same as how it took *ages* for Shallow to get picked up by radio. Something not getting radio play doesn't mean it isn't good or successful. An album with comparatively minimal promo, a non-trendy genre, and mostly unfamiliar collaborators is not exactly screaming mainstream pickup. It got to where it is at #2 because of Beyonce's name. Truthfully, that's a pretty solid feat for what the album is. Idk why there's so much negativity around this album.

The Hot 100 is based on sales + streams + radio play, the Billboard 200 is based on mostly sales and on-demand streaming and Beyonce got #2 on the Billboard 200

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serial Chiller
1 hour ago, Borislshere said:

nnn not you trying to make shallow out to be some complex song :bradley:

It's a generic country pop ballad and is in no way hard to digest. :toofunny:

r u for real? people were bickering here about how waiting 2mins for the chorus to kick in and having crowd noises would ruin Shallow’s commercial performance. Stop. It wasn’t looked on as that safe when it was released. 

Spirit has spoken Swahili at the beginning. That’s as much African inspired that it got (not talking about the vid) 

Spirit is bland and has a weak melody. Obviously there are other reasons why it flops, but it’s not because it’s “experimental” or whatver.

DeleteMyAccount

It's not like Beyonce's career has been dependent on #1s in the past 10 years. She'll be fine. 

Borislshere
2 minutes ago, Serial Chiller said:

r u for real? people were bickering here about how waiting 2mins for the chorus to kick in and having crowd noises would ruin Shallow’s commercial performance. Stop. It wasn’t looked on as that safe when it was released. 

Spirit has spoken Swahili at the beginning. That’s as much African inspired that it got (not talking about the vid) 

Spirit is bland and has a weak melody. Obviously there are other reasons why it flops, but it’s not because it’s “experimental” or whatver.

Neither of them are experimental! The point is, shallow is much easier on the ears and far more radio friendly than an almost 5 minute ballad. 

I said what I said. If y’all have an issue with that, that’s on you. 

LilyLark
33 minutes ago, Borislshere said:

Neither of them are experimental! The point is, shallow is much easier on the ears and far more radio friendly than an almost 5 minute ballad. 

kind of disagree on shallow being more radio friendly, but agree that the other songs on TLK aren't particularly radio friendly. Plus, the promotion for the soundtrack has been...not good....which is surprising because Beyonce and Disney are usually VERY good at promoting things even if Bey does "surprise drops" and no interviews.

well, also there's a point that the early predictions are often wrong. I remember when ASIB sountrack & Billie were predicted to open with lower numbers—it's very possible the TLK soundtrack will open higher.

LilyLark
36 minutes ago, Borislshere said:

But I'd rather have people be petty about Bey on GGD—and a lot of us are pro Bey on here too, tbf—than on twitter and make Gaga a target for dragging by the Beyhive again.

myluis617

Maybe in some time Beyonce will get more sales this is the beginning, She will eventually sell a million. 

LilyLark
1 hour ago, Stef said:

The Hive are unbearable. Claiming that ASIB benefited from having a privileged white straight couple fronting the film and music :air: 

Jaysus. Yes, white privilege is obviously, absolutely a thing even in music but....TLK is f*cking Disney. Disney! And I love Gaga but Bey is objectively bigger in the US, at least, so it doesn't even make sense as she's fronting the project. It's not exactly some low key indie project or even a Barry Jenkins film.

That said, predictions are often low and I wouldn't be surprised if the soundtrack ended up at #1 after all. And if it underperforms, it's probably because the PR roll out for the album was terrible...surprising because Bey and Disney...and the songs aren't particularly radio friendly and they picked the blandest of tracks as a promo single (really, Spirit is probably the worst track on there and I have no idea why they went with it when there are several bops on the album).

theahsfan
2 hours ago, Borislshere said:

a four and a half minute African inspired ballad is more commercial than an easy to swallow country pop song? Okay. 

I'm sorry but Spirit literally is mainstream. It's only the intro that feels African inspired.

There are zero excuses 

jaXXXon
3 hours ago, pedrohemg said:

It's funny to see her fans making excuses after excuses. They just don't accept her recent flops (EIL, Homecoming, and now The Gift).

Homecoming wasn't a flop at all. It was a live album that hit top 5. Y'all will eat your words when she'll release a solo studio album. These side projects just ain't it. 

LilyLark
13 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

Homecoming wasn't a flop at all. It was a live album that hit top 5. Y'all will eat your words when she'll release a solo studio album. These side projects just ain't it. 

Yeah I honestly don't get the idea that Homecoming was a flop. The Gift under performed, for sure, but I think it's too early to right it off as a flop...but Homecoming sold well for what it was—a live album with old songs.

BBhomemaker
36 minutes ago, mauvais said:

I know she's introverted and I know she distrusts the media for good reason but there are ways to promote your work without giving into the media trap. She does it all the time! Homecoming is a case study (BTS film to promote a live performance/album, in a sense). Maybe she's okay with being #2 or #3, and that's fine, but I don't think Beyonce fans can honestly say she doesn't "need" blanketed press at this point if she wishes to maintain her ST/Lemonade success.  I mentioned certain outlets because you can film carpool and not involve yourself in a traditional sit down interview.  I know she won't give interviews for B7, but during interviews promoting a movie like TLK,  you can totally avoid questions about your personal life. Her GMA interview was great in this regard! Finally, talking about your album and how proud you are about the project isn't a bad thing! She obviously loves this album but normal fan going on her page wouldn't even know she's gave us a "gift."  It's not screaming "on every corner" to let people know!

Remember the thread about her changing her commercial manager? I think the most important point on bey promotion is the "after-album release", especially for her singles that comes after, its where she loose hype and interest since we already know all the album and visual (Beyonce and lemonade for example), for the rest i think the surprise is still giving a lot of hype for the album in his simplicity

also i think B7 will have absolutely another promotion as her previous solo works for sure. Her album with jay was eventful but half of the fans were not here for jay at all. And homecoming was just a live with the concert movie, she were more open on it about her family and work, and today she is here with 2 Albums related to Lion king, i think its a lot of projects but not the what all the fans are really waiting for at the final, its more like a little fun or tease

also i think bey have 2 fanbases, the loud beehives and the old fans since destinys child or every era before 2013/14 that are more lay back (and i think it have an impact on sales too) 

Dancin
4 hours ago, Reginald said:

The collapse :icega: "No better than the Barbs?!" Jesus.... we were VERY lucky that ASIB smashed, all of the popstars are flops now... except, of course, Madonna. The only one to get a #1 album out of the whole Stan Universe this year lololol 

Air also got a #1 album this year.

hmmm

Archived