Shakira:

Lebanese/White

Trixie Mattel:

German/Native American

Monique Heart:

Black/Native American

Miss Fame:

White/Hispanic

1. Miley’s Native Ancestry has never been confirmed and genealogists haven’t found any proof (many white Americans claim Native DNA when there’s actually none).

2. “Hispanic”/“Latina” aren’t labels that belong to any particular racial group...  and saying “Mexican” or “Puerto Rican” is about as broad as saying someone is “Louisianan” 

3. Do people actually consider western Asians (such as Lebanese or Armenian) as non-white? I’m part west Asian but I’ve never viewed that side of the family as non-white so I’m genuinely interested in what you think about it. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JusKeepBreathin
5 minutes ago, PaulR2345 said:

1. Miley’s Native Ancestry has never been confirmed and genealogists haven’t found any proof (many white Americans claim Native DNA when there’s actually none).

2. “Hispanic”/“Latina” aren’t labels that belong to any particular racial group...  and saying “Mexican” or “Puerto Rican” is about as broad as saying someone is “Louisianan” 

3. Do people actually consider western Asians (such as Lebanese or Armenian) as non-white? I’m part west Asian but I’ve never viewed that side of the family as non-white so I’m genuinely interested in what you think about it. 

Hispanic and Latino is a race. 

Ask any college application and census I've ever filled out. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

PaulR2345
5 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Hispanic and Latino is a race. 

Ask any college application and census I've ever filled out. 

Hispanic- 

relating to Spain or to Spanish-speaking countries, especially those of Latin America

a Spanish-speaking person living in the US, especially one of Latin American descent

Latino-

(in North America) a person of Latin American origin or descent

These terms describe your recent family history, not your genetics. You can’t tell me these two people are the exact same race. 

Zoe-Saldana1.jpgshakira.jpg

JusKeepBreathin
1 minute ago, PaulR2345 said:

Hispanic- 

relating to Spain or to Spanish-speaking countries, especially those of Latin America

a Spanish-speaking person living in the US, especially one of Latin American descent

Latino-

(in North America) a person of Latin American origin or descent

These terms describe your recent family history, not your genetics. You can’t tell me these two people are the exact same race. 

Zoe-Saldana1.jpgshakira.jpg

Girl just Google, "What are the different races?" 

Get a grip please

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

PaulR2345
2 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Girl just Google, "What are the different races?" 

Get a grip please

I’m stating facts and you tell me to get a grip... :oprah: 

and I just googled and this was the answer: 

There are now five categories for data on race:

1) American Indian or Alaska Native.

2) Asian.

3) Black or African American.

4) Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.

5) White.

None of these are specifically Latino/Hispanic 

Not to sound like an ass but I’ve actually been to Latin America, my step mother is Latin American, I have Hispanic family members and friends and I’ve had plenty of conversations with them about this exact topic. It’s not that hard of a concept to understand. 

JusKeepBreathin
4 minutes ago, PaulR2345 said:

2) Asian.

5) White.

Not to sound like an ass but I’ve actually been to Latin America, my step mother is Latin American, I have Hispanic family members and friends and I’ve had plenty of conversations with them about this exact topic. It’s not that hard of a concept to understand. 

https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/not-od-15-089.html

Go away now

37 minutes ago, PaulR2345 said:

Although Middle Eastern / Western Asian ppl are actually Caucasian , the West does not label them as whites. Even Lebanese Arabs and Syrian Arabs who look as white as Scandinavians sometimes are not considered white socially and culturally in the West (at least from my observations). They are considered "exotic". Armenians are a unique case. Some would strongly consider them white where as many would not. They are sometimes lumped in with other Middle Easterners and sometimes Armenians here consider themselves to be not white. It's all about perception and social constructs of who gets to be considered white and who doesn't. Most of the time whitness is considered to be ppl who originate from the European continent, who are of a vastly Christian community / country and who have very light features. I mean it wasn't even long ago that Italians and Greeks were viewed as being "exotic" in the US for example. It's all a bunch of baloney imo. 

Musicisfreedom
13 minutes ago, PaulR2345 said:

2) Asian.

5) White.

8 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4200996

Bitch I'm Madonna

PaulR2345
Just now, Musicisfreedom said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4200996

7 minutes ago, PaulR2345 said:

Yes, show me a site that includes “Racial and ETHNIC categories” There is a difference, and then the provided definition of Latino literally saying “Regardless of race” 

4-BE6-F918-A44-D-4442-BD05-23-A53-F57212

stupid dumb and dumber GIF

Musicisfreedom
11 minutes ago, PaulR2345 said:

Yes, show me a site that includes “Racial and ETHNIC categories” There is a difference, and then the provided definition of Latino literally saying “Regardless of race” 

4-BE6-F918-A44-D-4442-BD05-23-A53-F57212

stupid dumb and dumber GIF

4EAs.gifpoints were made just saying @JusKeepBreathin

Bitch I'm Madonna

DrKindnessKunt1999
1 hour ago, PaulR2345 said:

1. Funny, it reminds me of a video of Black celebrities (who claimed to be part Native American) reacting to their DNA results; spoiler non of them had Native American blood. I don’t remember which celebrities specifically, all I know is that Tina Turner and Chris Rock aren’t Native American. It’s a video that I watched like 10 years ago.

2. Ironically, I don’t consider “Hispanic/Latino” a Race either, I consider it a culture. I typed “Puerto Rican” or “Mexican” since Bruno and Miss Fame just use those labels and don’t go into detail about that part of their culture. I didn’t type “Columbian” for Shakira since it’s been mentioned that her parents are of Lebanese and European descent. 

3. What @dit said. 

JusKeepBreathin
1 hour ago, Musicisfreedom said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4200996

Even though racism applies to both ethnicity and race. Race and ethnicity are two separate terms, however more than 50 percent of Hispanics don't identify as white, black, or native american. 

Archived