Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga was wrong to work with Amazon (VIDEO)

HighwayGuy

Featured Posts

ANTI WP
9 minutes ago, HighwayGuy said:

Not at all! I'm just saying the argument that 'this is just business' doesn't work when Amazon is even treating the workers in developed countres like s***

:runhug:  okay 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fee Dee

Posted this on the other rant thread...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/14/20692187/amazon-strike-protest-workers-warehouse-employees-conditions-prime-day-2019

"Crucially (and perhaps surprisingly), none of the striking workers have called on shoppers to boycott Prime Day sales. There’s no official guidance on how shoppers should support the strike, and many of the striking workers who talked to The Verge were ambivalent on the question. In some sense, it’s beside the point. The strike is meant to show that the success of Prime Day depends on warehouse workers — but that message is more about fulfillment queues than sales numbers. Solidarity is always welcome in a strike, but it’s hard to draw a clear, straight line from the workers’ demands to the Buy button."

It's ok to buy on AMZN (some can't literally avoid using it) and still want to help improve conditions, we can't all live in a bubble in protest. You want to change things, vote in people at the local, state and national level who would want to improve workers' rights.

Morphine Prince

Some of you defend Amazon like you’re on their payroll. 

I buy on Amazon sometimes out of convenience but damn you will never find me defending a corporation who paid less taxes than I did last year. 

Mr Mirko

so sad. Workers should be heard. Gaga maybe did not know. It's not her fault. She can be damn political correct and google out the history of every company that she is working with. People demand to much... from their couch. Each company has controversies, people should be free to speak out. Industry is a dirty place we all know that.

Lord Temptation
22 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Some of you defend Amazon like you’re on their payroll. 

I buy on Amazon sometimes out of convenience but damn you will never find me defending a corporation who paid less taxes than I did last year. 

Not paying taxes is not an Amazon thing. It’s a corporation thing. All big tech corporations like Facebook and Google pay no tax. And i’ve never bought anything from Amazon. They’re practices are one and the same. It’s hypocritical to single one out and not the others. No government is strong or stupid enough to stand up to Big Tech. It’s a sad indictment on the world but it’s the price all of us have to pay for the convenience we all crave.

All of us are to blame. We let it happen because we want cheap iPhones, cheap delivery, quick and cheap everything.

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, Lord Temptation said:

Not paying taxes is not an Amazon thing. It’s a corporation thing. All big tech corporations like Facebook and Google pay no tax. And i’ve never bought anythjng from them. They’re practices are one and the same. It’s hypocritical to single one out and not the others. No government is strong or stupid enough to stand up to Big Tech. It’s a sad indictment on the world but it’s the price all of us have to pay for...the convenience we all crave. All of us are to blame.

You will never find me adamantly defending a corporation. Period. 

Only thing I can say is Amazon has great customer service and quick delivery. 

River

Yeah and also MGM resorts is firing 1000 workers, but Gaga got a nice fat check :vegas:

This information about Amazon is not new, it's been like that for years, not only on Prime Day but also from October until the end of January, every single year.

Amazon customer service of the  some of the US is here in Costa Rica, they pay 900-1000$ per month and the funny thing, Amazon is not doing free deliveries to Costa Rica, so their own workers need to pay for delivery.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Didymus
1 minute ago, Lord Temptation said:

Not paying taxes is not an Amazon thing. It’s a corporation thing. All big tech corporations like Facebook and Google pay no tax. And i’ve never bought anythjng from them. They’re practices are one and the same. It’s hypocritical to single one out and not the others. No government is strong or stupid enough to stand up to Big Tech. It’s a sad indictment on the world but it’s the price all of us have to pay for...the convenience we all crave. All of us are to blame.

But that shouldn't lead to no one speaking up when a millionaire who doesn't have to care about convenience 'cause they're so damn wealthy does the exact same thing we do :oprah:

If Gaga gets the message maybe she can show us a better alternative. If anything she's qualified more than anyone else to speak up about these things instead of luring her fans into buying iPads or creating Amazon accounts :emma: There's a difference there that's important. Sure, we're all to blame, but it's by talking about the problems of Amazon, for example, here on this forum, channeled through this very specific event of Haus Labs being released, that more people could become aware that they're better off just not buying something from there.

So I do think it's a good thing to keep these conversations alive, personally :shrug:

ImpossiblePrincess

Are some of u even fans or just fans of her reputation?? Some of u act like you don’t care about what Gaga is doing just the outcome. Enjoy the ****ing product.

Welcome to GagaDaily, it looks like things just got messgendary.

Widows Kiss
1 hour ago, Dancin said:

Oh wow that somehow makes it ok?

I never said it's okay what she does. I just stated that she's in for the money, not the charity.

imnotyourbabe10

GagaDaily is getting pretty radicalized as of late and I am so here for it :firega:

source.gif

I'm not one to start threads but if anyone wants to begin discussing the socioeconomic systems we find ourselves in across the globe and the philosophies behind them, I'm down for it!  (I had even seen some talk about Foucault in another thread.  Be still my heart!).  Let's cut out the consumerism and nationalism and engage in more humanism!

ladylinners

I also do not see anyone shaming Jessica Alba for also partnering with Amazon to sell products from The Honest Company. 

If every celebrity would take a stance against workers rights there would be little to no partnering or endorsements. 

If you do not want to support Amazon then don’t buy products from Amazon. if you want to buy Gaga’s make up do it from Haus labs. Business wise Amazon is a smart move for Gaga just as it is for Jessica Alba. Amazon reaches the masses. 

Can Amazon do better as a company towards their employees? Sure they can. So can most other companies. 

It feels like everyone kinda wants Gaga to be Jesus. She isn’t. She is a person who has been given the opportunity to work with a company that majority of the population use and like. She has built a company from the ground up and of course she is going to take opportunities that present themselves that align with her interests for the company. Remember that her employees include tech people and a former employee from The Honest Company (Jessica Alba’s company that is also partnered with Amazon and is well liked). 

Would everyone have felt the same is she had been the spokesperson for SAS for example? SAS is notorious for not paying their pilots according to the market standard hence why they went on strike for close to a week causing severe disruptions. 

According to BBC the protests from workers are not about pay as Amazon seem to offer industry-leading pay. GMB union states that workers want the workplaces to be safer and to give workers an independent voice. (Article on BBC called Amazon workers launch protests on prime day).

the same article also states that GMB union is also not calling for economic damage for Amazon but for people to leave feedback on Amazon. And I’m pretty sure the feedback should be constructive and not plain hate speech. 

Workers have a right to protest against their working conditions and if you want to support it then do as the union asks and leave feedback on Amazon. But do not pretend that Amazon is the only company that has these problems. I for one would love better working conditions in child care. We are overworked and underpaid but if we strike that affects all industries as parents cannot work because they don’t have childcare. When I Worked as an au-pair I worked 6 days a week, 12 hour days. When I worked in film as a runner we worked 18h days and mostly didn’t even get 6h of sleep a night. 

Working conditions at Amazon is under par because Amazon is trying to meet consumer demand with one day delivery. According to Quartz newer Amazon warehouses are automated and the aim is to automate as much as possible which means less jobs. 

Pat the end of the day Gaga is a business woman who is trying to do what is best for her company. Then it is up to us as consumers to decided how we want to meet that product. If you don’t support Amazon than order through the Haus website and show that there is not demand for her product on Amazon. Or leave comments on Amazon saying you are against the prime benefits which leads to terrible working conditions for workers as they have high quotas to reach which are not something you stand for. At the end of the day The Amazon issue has to do with consumerism as they company are trying to meet the demand for products that people want to have delivered as quickly as possible. Hence, workers are having trouble meeting the demand as the supply of workers is too low compared to the demand of goods. 

Read about the new automated warehouses like the New Jersey facility on qz.com article Amazon warehouse workers around the world are on strike for Prime Day. From my take of these articles that horrible working conditions increase during consumer holidays. As such maybe it is more important for us as consumers to be more aware than the sellers about our consumer patterns. 

I don’t see sellers as the problem in this equation. It is between Amazon and us as consumers. Sellers are going to turn to the market where they can make a profit. We as consumers turn to the market that offers us cheap products in the shortest amount of time. 

I’m not upset at Gaga for launching with Amazon but I can be more aware where I am buying my products. I ended up buying from the Haus labs website instead of Amazon. I am still not going to stop buying from Amazon but I am also not a prime member and as such is stuck with standard shipping and not express delivery. 

Think about the choices you make but you don’t have to boycott a company when their union is asking you not to. Amazon is still the workers livelihood. 

Lord Temptation
6 minutes ago, Didymus said:

But that shouldn't lead to no one speaking up when a millionaire who doesn't have to care about convenience 'cause they're so damn wealthy does the exact same thing we do :oprah:

If Gaga gets the message maybe she can show us a better alternative. If anything she's qualified more than anyone else to speak up about these things instead of luring her fans into buying iPads or creating Amazon accounts :emma: There's a difference there that's important. Sure, we're all to blame, but it's by talking about the problems of Amazon, for example, here on this forum, channeled through this very specific event of Haus Labs being released, that more people could become aware that they're better off just not buying something from there.

So I do think it's a good thing to keep these conversations alive, personally :shrug:

I fully support whistleblowers lifting the lid on unethical practices. So people definitely have the right to speak out against Big Tech. Where I find certain types of criticism to be self-defeating is when they end up having the opposite effect.

Case in point: the celebrated documentary “Super Size Me”, which followed that famous director guy who, as an experiment, ate only at McDonalds for a month to see what effect would happen to his mind and body. His aim was to expose how unhealthy fast food is. Predictably, he got fat. My problem is that (a) he was already preaching to the converted (everyone knows junk food ain’t good for you). Worse, (b) he ended up giving millions in free publicity to McDonalds. After that documentary, their sales went up! And the number of store franchises increased. By making an entire film about only one company and excluding the competition, he effectively elevated McDonalds. Making it more popular.

So criticism should never seem like you’re hunting for a red herring when you are criticising behaviours that are universal, macro (company level) and micro (individual level).

OT: If you buy direct from Haus Labs instead of Amazon then there is a substantial discount on delivery costs, around $10 I believe. I mean Amazon controls global logistics, but at least Gaga is giving consumers the choice to boycott Amazon if they so wish. And save money in the process.

Tranquility

Ugh no one was even talking about this mess until like a week ago.  Gaga, ha impact.

ThatAsianGuy

The preoder thing that comes out after two months and amazon is the biggest mistake Gaga have made. Praying the product itself is good so it can redeem itself from this horrible situations.:noparty:

Archived