Makeup tutorial by Gaga and Sarah Tanno on 7/15

ydnmnme

Featured Posts

Didymus
21 minutes ago, Mirages said:

Jazz. Acting. Make-up. Triple threat for ya.:selena:

:lmao:

21 minutes ago, Stef said:

If Gaga can align a money making opportunity with a vision she has, and if she is able to do so with the help of her close friends instead of selling her vision off to a big corporation and just signing the dotted line when everything is in place, then power to her!

I get what you're saying and in a way you're completely right but I actually still disagree :emma: Because I think you (and her too, maybe) underestimate the effect of her "overmarketing" this essentially commercial decision as an artistic or emotional venture.

If she presents products that are above all designed to sell like personal, self-empowering products she's basically pushing a button in the minds of thousands of her fans that will persuade them to spend way too much money on them, even if it's not really designed for them.

I think sometimes it can actually be more beneficial to your fans if you just pull an Eau de Gaga and not let your fans walk into that trap. She knows what kind of effect she has on her fans, especially the younger ones. It just feels kind of wrong to me to suddenly focus all her attention and media presence on a specific set of products when she knows her fanbase is desperate for new music. She knows she's gonna make big money from fans who will see this product as yet another way to reconnect with her on a personal level.

It's kind of the "dark side" of Gaga's relationship with her fans if you will :flop: I think it's less prevalent with other pop stars because they usually manage to keep a somewhat palpable distance between the artist and the admirer but the thing is, with Gaga people are personally invested in her life and happiness to the point where it actually kind of scares me, as in fans seem to genuinely care more about her state of mind than their own and would gladly pay big money to her almost as a friendly favor :rip: That's where these commercial decisions become a little tricky and harder to defend.

Now I know of course the whole idea of being a pop star is almost designed based on the idea that you'll rip off your fans almost intentionally, but Gaga didn't just present herself as a pop star, also as a mother figure. Someone who supported her fans, cheered them on, embraced them for who they were, etc. Sending messages of empowerment can be really meaningful that way. But if you're going to try to do that through a commercial product rather than an artwork to inspire everyone freely, it creates this extra problematic dimension because your fans become dependent on consumption rather than inspiration to connect with you. She and her team are obviously aware of that :smh:  I think that creates an extra "eek" factor for a lot of fans with this make-up line. Because it's literally all we're getting.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus

@Stef Sorry for the long post omg I tried to write it concisely but I failed like a mother****er.

Edit: Put the most important passages in bold to get the general idea across.

Doncho

Ok good luck to Gaga and Sarah. They worked hard on this. I guess I ll watch it just to support Gaga :selena:

G U C C I

It probably feels fake to most of you because this is not what you want her to do. You want the music and the visuals and it to be amazing and successful and that’s it. No message from her or her overly speaking to her audience. 

She speaks, acts and has different gestures with each era. From the fame to Joanne she’s different. Along with that she has a decade in this business and is looking towards other things. She wants to branch out and leave a legacy that is more encompassing than just her gifts musically. She also seems to really REALLY want her own family with a husband and kids not just the haus. I would imagine her maturing into that makes some of what she does seem fake because she isn’t living as her persona 24/7 anymore.

Ronlop
18 minutes ago, Stef said:

These comments always confuse me. This is an industry. She, as an employer, has an entire body of staff to pay for hours worked. She, as an employee to a higher up, has to work to generate an income for herself to be able to sustain the Haus she’s built over the course of a decade. 

Think about it realistically, who doesn’t like to make money? :air: anyone who lapped up that mess she spewed about music not the bling were naive as f!ck :rip: 

If Gaga can align a money making opportunity with a vision she has, and if she is able to do so with the help of her close friends instead of selling her vision off to a big corporation and just signing the dotted line when everything is in place, then power to her!

If this was something like Eau De Gaga, then I’d write it off as a cheap cash grab, but she’s been involved in every aspect of this project. From model recruitment to packaging design,

being at every shoot and product packaging shoot, designing the palettes and the product names. 

I agree with you.

But at the same time, why did she say that she doesn't like to "sell these fragrances" back in 2015? I mean, there is an obvious contradiction here which is worth pointing out imo

I don't have a problem with her going for business and being a entrepreneur. I think that's natural in her position.

What I'm bothered about is the fact that,so far, it seems like she is unaware that she's not bringing anything new to the table. "The only thing that I ever find off-putting about brands is when I feel that authenticity is being, sort of, shoved down our throats. I think a brand should be able to stand on its own, with its own pillars, and know that it's authentic, without having to say it."  

"Love Yourslf" as a concept is definitely not innovative or new and the entire first trailer of Haus Labs is about how the other brands can make you beautiful but only Haus Labs will make you love yourself. I will say that the choice of the models was innovative and "risky", I'll give her that. But other than that, from some of the comments of members who purchase makeup here are saying that this doesn't look like something new.

It's way too soon to judge but I only have Fame to compare to and it made sense at the time. It felt like an album release ngl :laughga: It was just different. 

Maybe I'm expecting way too much idk but these are my feelings as of now. 

MonsterMom

All I want to know is why someone worth 300 million dollars ever has roots :cryga:. It has to be a personal choice because she does NOT have to live like that :ladyhaha:

Miel

On a lighter note, she kind of looks like a combination of Joanne-phase Gaga, and "old" Gaga. Like... wow? I think I'm gagged? I might actually like this sort of middle-of-the-road face? It's very reminiscent of her face during the mini SuperBowl-era, I think, where it has the structure from age and her new work, but still looked natural and almost like a natural progression. 

Ummm nice.

3 points in and ready for more

Babel
23 minutes ago, LVbuttondown said:

It probably feels fake to most of you because this is not what you want her to do. You want the music 

This is what she’s been selling us she truly is all about this entire time. She even based a whole era (or 2?) making us believe that’s  all that truly matters, her musical talent. 

Maybe there’s a reason why a lot of fans feel a complete disconnect with her with this make up artist era. She never once even talked about wanting to put out a beauty line, not even gave us hints about that (but actually quite the opposite), and now suddenly she wants us to believe she wanted to do it since she was 13? Nah. I don’t buy it. And I can go as far as call it disrespectful to her hardcore fans to try make them believe the whole thing is about self empowering when it’s painfully obvious that’s not the main reason she’s doing it. 

Cloudbusting

I think it looks like every other beauty tutorial on YT tbh. Some people are just over analysing this brand so much. Maybe it was her idea to create the brand this time unlike the perfume ,which she was forced to do. I do agree like the message is a little forced and overwhelming when you look at every ad, but hey what can we do :coffee: 

ChromeAngel

I’m actually anxious that I won’t get to it fast enough to buy everything. I’m guessing it’ll sell out fast 

ydnmnme

I don’t understand all the LMAOs:saladga:

𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓃𝒶 𝒷𝑒 𝒶𝓁𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇, 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝐼 𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒷𝑒 𝓉𝑜𝓃𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉

FlopSlurper
29 minutes ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

Well she's making money from Born This Way streams but that doesn't make its message less valid because she benefits from it. It's almost the same thing. Then, that's the whole point: we associate makeup with "fake" because people "hide" behind makeup or wear makeup because they're very insecure about themselves. HausLabs is all about owning the makeup as a way of self expression rather than "self opression". 

I didn't have to buy BTW as a 13 years old to get the message, I had youtube.

She went from saying you're beautiful the way you are to promoting makeup and telling her friends they need fillers. She should take several notes from queen alicia keys.

39 minutes ago, Stef said:

These comments always confuse me. This is an industry. She, as an employer, has an entire body of staff to pay for hours worked. She, as an employee to a higher up, has to work to generate an income for herself to be able to sustain the Haus she’s built over the course of a decade. 

Think about it realistically, who doesn’t like to make money? :air: anyone who lapped up that mess she spewed about music not the bling were naive as f!ck :rip: 

If this was something like Eau De Gaga, then I’d write it off as a cheap cash grab, but she’s been involved in every aspect of this project. From model recruitment to packaging design,

being at every shoot and product packaging shoot, designing the palettes and the product names. 

if it's about the money she can say it's about the money, no need for these statements that make 0 sense and so fake. What's the message she's trying to sell? that girls aren't perfect the way they are and they need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on makeup to look pretty? if that's her message she can keep it because she's so wrong. 

MonsterMom

Well, I do believe she really wants people to love themselves. That being said, I really don’t care if she just wants the money. I love make-up and I love Gaga so I am buying it all!!!!

:kiss:

My two favorite things have finally come together :tony:

thehanyo

This is first major BUSINESS that Gaga has launched. She OWNS it. She just licensed her name to the fragrances... they weren't HERS, she just sold her name to them. It's very different when you are launching your own company.

Didymus
2 minutes ago, FlopSlurper said:

if it's about the money she can say it's about the money, no need for these statements that make 0 sense and so fake. What's the message she's trying to sell? that girls aren't perfect the way they are and the need to spend hubdreds and hundreds of dollars on makeup to look pretty? if that's her message she can keep it because she's so wrong.  

Yeah that really is the most perplexing about the way she presents this line :oprah: I mean, she literally said a few days ago that she discovered through make-up that she didn't need to wear big theatrical make-up all the time and that she was still "Lady Gaga" (aka her superhero self) without all of that.

But then the promo pictures do show a more theatrically inspired line :what: So yeah, she's basically saying: explore yourself, love yourself, express yourself but she has already admitted that it's really not necessary anyway 'cause make-up doesn't define you... but then what's the point of the product still? :air:

It's a maze I can't get out of. I don't think she thought it through that much.

Archived