💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Critics praise Beyoncé's voice acting in The Lion King

Didymus

Featured Posts

Didymus

You didn't trust on Bey haters to tell the whole story, now did you? :vegas: This thread serves as a necessary correction for "that other thread" which only posted like four reviews (not all by critics) and mispresented the most important one :rip:

I went through all the written "critics" reviews (around 90) listed on Rotten Tomatoes and highlighted what they had to say about Beyoncé :messga:

Main observations?

— Half of the reviews barely mention her in detail as she only has very little dialogue apparently
— About one fifth of the reviews points out that the voice acting in the movie does not come across, not due to the actors' lack of talent but because the voices clash with the photorealistic images of the animals whose lack of expression cannot match the emotion in the vocal performances (though most reviews point out that the Timon and Pumba voice work escaped from this fate)
Most of the reviews that were disappointed with Beyoncé were also disappointed with Glover (adult Simba) and/or other main actors

I gathered the positive reviews for you guys here, in a relatively ordered sequence of most positive to least positive:

Spoiler

"Beyoncé greatly enhances the role of the adult Nala" — London Evening Standard

"Beyoncé is wonderful (if slightly underused) as a passionate and fiery adult Nala" — IGN

"As Simba’s bride-to-be, pop goddess Beyoncé Knowles-Carter lends still more depth, conveying aspects of bravery and independence in Nala’s personality that weren’t there before." — Variety

"As the adult Nala, Grammy-winning superstar Beyoncé Knowles-Carter gives her lioness something that wasn’t there before; an agency all her own that doesn’t feel tacked on as an upgrade for 2019." — AwardsWatch

"Beyoncé, Seth Rogen, and Billy Eichner are also standouts as Nala, Pumbaa, and Timon, respectively." — Insider

"I was impressed with Beyoncé’s voice acting. She was able to bring the same energy as the young Nala, while still bringing her own  flavor to the older version." — Geeks of Color

"Beyoncé makes an effortful mark as Nala" — The Daily Beast

"Beyonce brings all the necessary fire as Nala" — USA Today

"they did a great job with casting because the actors complement their characters' personalities well, especially with Donald Glover and Beyoncé as adult Simba and Nala." — Arizona Republic

"[They're [Donald and Beyoncé] great." — Chicago Sun Times

"Beyonce. Beyonce. Beyonce. Yes, go down the social media vortex, mention this film, and her beehive is swarming, curious to know how much we get to hear her voice. The answer is, thanks to the extra thirty minutes, we have more Nala than ever, and her expanded role opens up an enormous range of emotional depth. Nala’s toughness that left many of us wanting more in the 1994 animation, fulfills its full potential now as the fierce lioness who encourages Simba back to the Pride Land and be the king he was destined to be." — Awards Daily

"As befits any role occupied by Beyoncé, Nala has more screen time in this version, and it’s a welcome change. Is there anything more gutting than hearing Queen Bey tell you: “I’m disappointed”? Anything more rousing than her call to her fellow lions to “attack” during the climactic final battle?" — Refinery 29

"In this version, Donald Glover and Beyonce bring warmth to the gravity" — The Movie Minute

"Glover and Beyoncé Knowles-Carter (as Nala) have a warm rapport" — Screen Daily

"Donald Glover and Beyonce charming as Simba and best friend Nala" — Daily Mirror

"top-notch voice cast, which includes Donald Glover as the grown-up Simba, Beyoncé as his lioness ladylove and John Oliver as the neurotic hornbill Zazu." — The Washington Post

"Donald Glover and Beyonce Knowles-Carter acquit themselves nicely as the adult Simba and Nala, and their duet on “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” is positively aces." — Lamplight Review

"Can’t go wrong with Disney’s choice to cast Beyonce." — Raising Whasians

"In the case of “The Lion King,” the songs are still good, the Shakespearean story still solid. And, well, Beyonce’s in it. [...] Yet that’s hardly enough to warrant a bland, unimaginative rehash like this, let alone merit Beyonce’s imperial presence." — Associated Press

"The casting is properly on point. Donald Glover as adult Simba and Beyonce as Nala do the business well enough, but it’s the supporting voices that steal every scene." — The Sun

There were a few negative reviews though none of them went in great detail about Beyoncé's performance. If you wish to read them, I counted 12 out of around 70 and it's the following publications: Punch Drunk Critics, Screen Zealots (who also hated Glover's voice work), Black Girl Nerds, We Live Entertainment (who also dislike most of the other voice work), The Curvy Film Critic (who also disliked Glover's voice work), GQ (only mildly disappointed, and equally in Glover's voice work), Den of Geek (who also disliked Glover's voice work), Nightmarish Conjurings (only mildly disappointed), MovieWeb (who also disliked Glover's voice work), New York Post, Vox (who also dislike most of the other voice work) and Flick Direct (who also dislike Glover's voice work).

So, I hope that sets the record straight :huntyga:

SardonicCleverGannet-size_restricted.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus
Just now, S0436 said:

59% rotten, dear

99% of the criticism is about the screenplay and the directing though, but nice try.

Ghost Face
1 minute ago, S0436 said:

59% rotten, dear

That's about the movie as a whole, not only because of Bey, dear :oops:

It's an honor.

NewYorkCity
Just now, RoughLove said:

That's about the movie as a whole, not only because of Bey, dear :oops:

Wasn't this, according to her fans, Beyonce's The Lion King? :ohwell:

JR Gg

I'm sorry but few if ANY of the publications you posted are actually respected movie critics. :rip:

You don't use unreliable evidence to counter unreliable evidence.

Didymus
4 minutes ago, JR Gg said:

I'm sorry but few if ANY of the publications you posted are actually respected movie critics. :rip:

You don't use unreliable evidence to counter unreliable evidence.

Ok, let's filter down to influential publications, then, as you wish:

— IGN = super positive
— Variety = super positive
— Insider = super positive
— The Daily Beast = positive
— Daily Mirror = positive
— The Washington Post = positive
— Associated Press = positive
— GQ = a little negative
— New York Post = negative
— Vox = negative

Does that change anything for you? :emma: It's almost the exact same ratio.

I didn't leave any review out that was either explicitly positive or negative. This is everything on Rotten Tomatoes. I included all the irrelevant reviews because they're part of the Rotten Tomatoes score and because there simply weren't a lot of major sources that mentioned her in detail :rip:

jprince99x

@Didymus forbes literally called the movie a “crushing disappointment”, why are you even defending the movie? The GP hasn’t seen it yet. It’s not out, so unless you’re a movie critique working for a big publication, I highly doubt you’ve seen it.

Let’s have some fun this beat is Sapokanikan

JR Gg
2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Ok, let's filter then down to influential publications, then, as you wish:

— IGN = super positive
— Variety = super positive
— The Washington Post = positive
— Associated Press = positive
— New York Post = negative
— Vox = negative

Does that change anything for you? :emma: It's almost the exact same ratio.

I didn't leave any review out that was either explicitly positive or negative. This is everything on Rotten Tomatoes. I included all the irrelevant reviews because they're part of the Rotten Tomatoes score and because there simply weren't a lot of major sources that mentioned her in detail :rip:

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/movies/publication/popular?page=0

Listed are the reputable movie critics. Have a look for yourself.

Associated Press mentioned nothing about Beyoncé's performance. The adjective imperial was used to exaggerate her position in the entertainment industry 'Queen B'.

Nothing against you, but the ratio is only 3:2 now. Hence, I don't think it's fair to make any conclusion on her performance yet. 

Didymus
Just now, jprince99x said:

@Didymus forbes literally called the movie a “crushing disappointment”, why are you even defending the movie? The GP hasn’t seen it yet. It’s not out, so unless you’re a movie critique working for a big publication, I highly doubt you’ve seen it.

source.gif

Where the **** are you seeing me defend the movie? :lmao:

I'm not even gonna watch this movie, I know it's gonna be terrible and all the reviews hating on it have proven my years long fears completely right :flop:

I didn't make this thread to defend that piece of **** movie, I'm just setting the record straight: critics are hating the movie and not Beyoncé like so many LMs were pretending in another thread here, literally claiming that reviewers were dragging Bey for her lackluster performance :emma: I'm just showing a more realistic picture.

But none of the review sections I posted are even about the movie, what are you on about... This is purely about Beyoncé's voice acting, isn't that explicitly written in the thread title too? :huntyga:

Thomas P

Thank you. All the reviews that I read (that mention her), and all of the YouTube critics that I love (and some that I don’t) all praised the absolute hell out of the voice acting (except for Gambino), and said that specifically beyonce served as a scene stealer compared to her counterparts. 

The criticism is directed towards the inability to emote from the photorealistic animals, and the direct replication of the animated feature. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Archived