Stefani Tee
science

Use of HIV prevention pill, PrEP, rises 500%, report says

Featured Posts

Inferno
4 minutes ago, Didymus said:

You're acting like everyone who's on PrEP is having wild bareback sex every night though :air: Let me ask you a very fair question: where do you get that impression? How many gay people do you know personally who do that?

See this is where my point of view is going to be shot down because people get offended by generalizations. Unprotected sex has been commercialized in p*rn and our everyday lives, not just with gay men actually but in general. And if you look at the culture, countless gay meme pages normalizing and advocating for unhealthy sexual practices i.e. sex addiction paired with drug abuse, poppers etc. Which at surface level is supposed to be all fun n games I get it, but at a certain point its normalizing these things for a brand new generation. Meme pages currently do influence culture. Do I think every gay man is having wild bareback orgies every night? Obviously not. But the "piggie" culture has expanded immensely as prep usage has increased and I know this firsthand because of my own involvement with it. Which I would not have immediately divulged here but having been involved in some wild sh*t since I was a teenager, the growth of bareback/group sex and riskier kinks INCLUDING bug chasing has increased RAPIDLY over the past even 2 years. Its kind of wild. Do I think everyones going to die? lol I don't know. Im just speaking on my own personal observations of the world around me as of late.

Edited by Inferno

Didymus
1 minute ago, Inferno said:

See this is where my point of view is going to be shot down because people get offended by generalizations. Unprotected sex has been commercialized in p*rn and our everyday lives, not just with gay men actually but in general. And if you look at the culture, countless gay meme pages normalizing and advocating for unhealthy sexual practices i.e. sex addiction paired with drug abuse, poppers etc. Which at surface level is supposed to be all fun n games I get it, but at a certain point its normalizing these things for a brand new generation. Meme pages currently do influence culture. Do I think every gay man is having wild bareback orgies every night? Obviously not. But the "piggie" culture has expanded immensely as prep usage has increased and I know this firsthand because of my own involvement with it. Which I would not have immediately divulged here but having been involved in some wild sh*t since I was a teenager, the growth of bareback/group sex and riskier kinks INCLUDING bug chasing has increased RAPIDLY over the past even 2 years. Its kind of wild. Do I think everyones going to die? lol I don't know. Im just speaking on my own personal observations of the world around me as of late.

:oprah:

Well, thanks for sharing. That is interesting and I do think you have a point. The question is: is it all bad or is the drug also helping people? I'd say it is :shrug: The drug has a safety rate almost as high as condoms, missing just a few percent :rip: Even the resistance paranoia is limited in terms of extent: it would only spread among gays of a certain social environment (I mean, that's kind of horrible to say but it's still true).

Check-ups happen so regularly with people who take PrEP I think it's not as dark and gloomy as you represent the facts but I do understand :hug: Especially if it comes from a personal space. Personally, I'm still more afraid of the dangers of alcohol, smoking and completely normalized stuff like processed meats which are proven to cause cancer :emma: No one's talking about it and cries of resistance are almost automatically unheard because beer, wine, etc. have become so neutral in everyday experience. PrEP is still regarded with some suspicion and paranoia among a lot of people so that's a better environment imo.

Inferno
Just now, Didymus said:

:oprah:

Well, thanks for sharing. That is interesting and I do think you have a point. The question is: is it all bad or is the drug also helping people? I'd say it is :shrug: The drug has a safety rate almost as high as condoms, missing just a few percent :rip: Even the resistance paranoia is limited in terms of extent: it would only spread among gays of a certain social environment (I mean, that's kind of horrible to say but it's still true).

Check-ups happen so regularly with people who take PrEP I think it's not as dark and gloomy as you represent the facts but I do understand :hug: Especially if it comes from a personal space. Personally, I'm still more afraid of the dangers of alcohol, smoking and completely normalized stuff like processed meats which are proven to cause cancer :emma: No one's talking about it and cries of resistance are almost automatically unheard because beer, wine, etc. have become so neutral in everyday experience. PrEP is still regarded with some suspicion and paranoia among a lot of people so that's a better environment imo.

Well its not that I don't think it has its pros. It does. I mean im on it. And as someone who previously lived a sexually risky life before the advent of prep and has had countless scares over the years. Prep has alleviated a lot of my paranoia in my sexual experiences. That being said, I think people are predominantly focusing on those positives and the stigmas its releasing for them to be uninhibited and currently not thinking AS much as I think they should with their brains rather than their d*cks. And the reality is that there are cons to prep especially its effects culturally imo. But thats just my opinion. There are a lot of factors in our lives that can and do affect our health that are unfortunately normalized in society generally speaking theres no denying that. But I think as far as the lgbtqia+ community is concerned and specifically gay men, we do not have greater powers at be looking out for our best health and interest. So I think its only rational to keep in mind the negatives that can be associated with the drug as well as the positives. Thats all. My own paranoia regarding the future of gay mens sexual health and hoping history doesn't repeat itself in one way or another is my own trip. But I thought it worth expanding on.

• Love 2