Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Gaga on the Joanne Pink Hat

Tom Nook

Featured Posts

Ziggy
14 hours ago, JohnnyVersace said:

100%! And she's not the first to do it. Madonna did it with the Gaultier bras, Bowie with the bolt, etc. With Gaga, however, it does feel very organic and natural. Like during the ARTPOP era, she wore a fairly basic pair of Tom Ford shades over and over and over again, to the point that fans were wearing the same or similar round shades to mimic. They weren't revolutionary or avant-garde in any way, I truly believe she just liked them. But through the repetition, it became an iconic part of the aesthetic of the era. 

With Joanne, it was her most stripped back look, but she still approached it in the same way, repeating certain images over and over again. So I feel like with this hat, it might not have a profound meaning (or it does) but the repetition of it gave the era an icon. 

I will say, in the Haus of Gaga museum, it is described as a "millennial pink" hat, and I feel like that might have some significance to Gaga revisiting her youth, coping with family/life trauma, and using Joanne as the figure to heal. Like maybe the light pink hat represents her childhood in some way. 

Agreed! Even sonically as well. We gripe about her not updating her songs for tours and Enigma, but I think the reason she doesn’t is that she works really hard to have a simple melody that sticks. It somehow seems effortless, yet it definitely isn’t by any means. Seriously, it’s insane to think about how many songs she has that are instantly identifiable by a chord progression alone. It’s pop music at its most saturated tbh and it’s how she spearheaded the PC music direction that’s been going on underground for a few years. Just Dance, poker face, love game, paparazzi, BR, Alejandro, Telephone, Judas, Scheiße, Applause, Perfect Illusion, Shallow. So many of her songs are driven by a simple chord that gets repeated over and over again. So people bemoan her music for not being super “out there”, but I think that that’s part of the idea. It’s not. Her music is incredibly pop and I think what is *weird* to other people is her open armed embrace of that. Pretty much her schtick is repeating stuff that is already memorable until it’s unforgettable. When people started copying her, the reason they couldn’t very well is because they didn’t quite get that element of it and her showmanship.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShayCristoforo

I had no idea she was so meta about the pink hat. Never underestimate her brain 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

vitoburrrito
23 hours ago, AlexanderMagno said:

But... I still don't understand what "Joanne" has to do with the hat, in this context? Because "Joanne goes with nothing"? Joanne is probably her most conventional sound ever, saying the hat represents her pushing boundaries and that's what Joanne was about, it's not realistic.

The hat was reminiscent of the Americana sound of the album and an attempt to create a new signature look, I don't buy this complicated explanation.

I personally think that, when she says, “it doesn’t go with anything”, she means that her image during this era was meant to just be stripped down and straight-forward, and anti-fashionable. 

I don’t think she’s implying that there wasn’t a deeper meaning behind the hat, that it wasn’t referencing anything, or that it wasn’t about her changing her image. I think she’s just implying that it was meant to be anti-fashionable and not avant- Garde. The only way for her to have pushed boundaries at that point in her career (through fashion, at least) was to wear something conventional, like shorts and a crop top, and a pink hat that didn’t go with anything, instead of going outside wearing prosthetic horns or a meat dress....

am I even making sense? Lol

Gagadonna

Guys, she is unreliable when it comes to her commenting on her past. Era 2 Gaga will always say things different from what era 1 Gaga would say about era 1.

Back then, the hat meant much more to her. It’s just that she’s changed since then, and her view view on things has too. She should’t pretend it was how she claimed it to to have, though. 

Archived