interview

Gaga on the Joanne Pink Hat

Tom Nook

Featured Posts

The Child
42 minutes ago, JohnnyVersace said:

TBH, Gaga is obsessed with obsession. 

BTW - Versace, leather, the moles, the eyeliner

ARTPOP - Marina/Koons/I&V, Venus wig and shells, YSL flannel, the Tom Ford shades

C2C - Italian curls, moo-moo's, the glitter brows

Joanne - the hat, the guitar cases, the embroidered shirt

Every era has its "things." You can't really explain a lot of it either, necessarily. Like why was she suddenly wearing a mole that was growing larger and eventually outlined with a square? Why was she wearing YSL flannel shirts in an era all about art? She kind of just finds her new vibe, sticks to it, and obsesses over it until she moves on to the next, imo. Like, it doesn't have to necessarily make traditional sense to her, it's sometimes just iconography that defines the era she's in. 

And we love it! Her mind! So powerful!

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mister G

I viewed the hat as something new aesthetic wise but also genre wise. It almost felt as though what she wanted to express on that album couldn’t necessarily be done in a style we had seen on The Fame, Fame Monster, Born This Way or ARTPOP. Even thinking back to the Joanne Tour, the songs there don’t really fit the persona or image of what Gaga has been for roughly 10 years. Going from Diamond Heart to A-YO then Poker Face, or even from John Wayne to Scheisse. That’s what makes her so enigmatic is the constant desire to push boundaries and do things outside of one’s typical comfort zone.

Doncho

This just shows that Gaga doesnt even know what her "Joanne vibes" were lmaooo. A random hat in every outfit, sure :selena:

I really like the album but the era as a whole was a mess in terms of fashion/looks

Biden Harris 2024

Hmmm, that's news to me, I thought the whole era evolved around the Pink hat :ohwell:

Ziggy
2 hours ago, AlexanderMagno said:

But... I still don't understand what "Joanne" has to do with the hat, in this context? Because "Joanne goes with nothing"? Joanne is probably her most conventional sound ever, saying the hat represents her pushing boundaries and that's what Joanne was about, it's not realistic.

The hat was reminiscent of the Americana sound of the album and an attempt to create a new signature look, I don't buy this complicated explanation.

She means it doesn’t go with anything because it’s Joanne in the sense that she’s Gaga and the hat is not. She wore the hat like a kind of talisman to keep her tied to the idea of “Joanne”. That’s at least what I’m gathering here. It was pushing boundaries in the sense that people had boxed Gaga in as this over the top and decadent diva, then she stripped it down to drop tops, cut offs and a pink hat. For the “Gaga” persona, this was pushing boundaries because it was so conventional. Now whether we agree with that is something else, but I think that that’s what she means.

Didymus

Is she seriously taking credit for making studded leather jackets cool :oprah: That's embarrassing.

Ziggy
1 hour ago, JohnnyVersace said:

TBH, Gaga is obsessed with obsession. 

BTW - Versace, leather, the moles, the eyeliner

ARTPOP - Marina/Koons/I&V, Venus wig and shells, YSL flannel, the Tom Ford shades

C2C - Italian curls, moo-moo's, the glitter brows

Joanne - the hat, the guitar cases, the embroidered shirt

Every era has its "things." You can't really explain a lot of it either, necessarily. Like why was she suddenly wearing a mole that was growing larger and eventually outlined with a square? Why was she wearing YSL flannel shirts in an era all about art? She kind of just finds her new vibe, sticks to it, and obsesses over it until she moves on to the next, imo. Like, it doesn't have to necessarily make traditional sense to her, it's sometimes just iconography that defines the era she's in. 

I agree and, to take it a step further, I think she’s obsessed with imagery and iconography with repetition being something that expresses that obsession. Her wanting the all black “uniform” of the Joanne era is quintessential Gaga. In practice, it is no different than the hairbow, or Venus bikini, the tea cup, facial prosthetics, etc. The only difference between Joanne and the other eras was that while those were marked by a very high queer sort of glamor, this was very minimal. So it was an aesthetic or cosmetic difference only. Gaga’s fashion m.o. has really always been centered around repetition, though. Like she’s said, she’s a “student of fame” which I always took as a more hifalutin way of saying that she understands iconography at its core. It’s about something striking that is burned into people’s minds. Like it or not, the Joanne hat definitely accomplished that just as much as her other iconic uniforms have.

Jose P
3 hours ago, FlopSlurper said:

I'm suddenly OBSESSED with Enigma and her makeup line. As a matter of fact I'm obsessed with anything she does except music, especially pop music. I hate ARTPOP and she better never release something similar ever again. Also who cares about her unique and creative customs, throw them all in the trash. :poot:

Gurl.

Stop.

:awkney:

gstring

Ya'll really linked that to the Album and not her aunt? :toofunny:

"Joanne goes with nothing*

I think she meant that like a metaphor of her aunt

Little little

Jadeykins
25 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I agree and, to take it a step further, I think she’s obsessed with imagery and iconography with repetition being something that expresses that obsession. Her wanting the all black “uniform” of the Joanne era is quintessential Gaga. In practice, it is no different than the hairbow, or Venus bikini, the tea cup, facial prosthetics, etc. The only difference between Joanne and the other eras was that while those were marked by a very high queer sort of glamor, this was very minimal. So it was an aesthetic or cosmetic difference only. Gaga’s fashion m.o. has really always been centered around repetition, though. Like she’s said, she’s a “student of fame” which I always took as a more hifalutin way of saying that she understands iconography at its core. It’s about something striking that is burned into people’s minds. Like it or not, the Joanne hat definitely accomplished that just as much as her other iconic uniforms have.

well said! remember when she carried the teacup around everywhere and how famous this little object became just from her taking it into interviews...i think she's really fascinated by that and she knows that a simple image or symbol or even a sound can grow to become an everlasting part of someones legacy (think bowies lightning bolt) she's completely aware of what she's doing. she's a smart girl x 

GreenDiamond
3 hours ago, AlexanderMagno said:

But... I still don't understand what "Joanne" has to do with the hat, in this context? Because "Joanne goes with nothing"? Joanne is probably her most conventional sound ever, saying the hat represents her pushing boundaries and that's what Joanne was about, it's not realistic.

The hat was reminiscent of the Americana sound of the album and an attempt to create a new signature look, I don't buy this complicated explanation.

idk why do you do these mental gymnastics, 

we all know gags makes this things up on a fly

#immprovisationqueen

RichAssPiss

I know everyone will say this is a reach, but when Gaga did Joanne everyone thought she was crazy. Country western Americana was not chic. Then soon after we have Rainbow, Man in the Woods, and Younger Now all with rustic country looks and influences. Now we have queer artists using country influence like Orville Peck and Lil Nas X. I see articles talking about "the yeehaw agenda"  in fashion now. Gaga did not invent any of that but she did it on a large scale at a time when few were and it seems like it really influenced pop culture. I think Gaga gets paid dust for her influence. She does not follow trends. She starts them.

JohnnyVersace
1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

100%! And she's not the first to do it. Madonna did it with the Gaultier bras, Bowie with the bolt, etc. With Gaga, however, it does feel very organic and natural. Like during the ARTPOP era, she wore a fairly basic pair of Tom Ford shades over and over and over again, to the point that fans were wearing the same or similar round shades to mimic. They weren't revolutionary or avant-garde in any way, I truly believe she just liked them. But through the repetition, it became an iconic part of the aesthetic of the era. 

With Joanne, it was her most stripped back look, but she still approached it in the same way, repeating certain images over and over again. So I feel like with this hat, it might not have a profound meaning (or it does) but the repetition of it gave the era an icon. 

I will say, in the Haus of Gaga museum, it is described as a "millennial pink" hat, and I feel like that might have some significance to Gaga revisiting her youth, coping with family/life trauma, and using Joanne as the figure to heal. Like maybe the light pink hat represents her childhood in some way. 

Archived