Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Rihanna slammed for cultural appropriation - is she?

AMENiCURE

Featured Posts

Queen Bitch
22 hours ago, ReginaGeorge said:

God we really lost our fun sides because of the culture today. I swear I only hear cultural appropriation thing from Americans and in America.. I don’t think it exists anywhere else :cryga:

22 hours ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

It really doesn't :huntyga:

Actually here in Denmark it's beginning to become a thing 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morphine Prince

People saying CA isn’t real sound delusional. 

This is definitely a real thing that happens: 

Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation,[2][3][4] is the adoption of elements of one culture by members of another culture. This can be controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures.[5][2][3]

Cultural appropriation is considered harmful by many, and to be a violation of the collective intellectual property rights of the originating, minority cultures,[6][7][8][9][10] notably indigenous cultures and those living under colonial rule.[2][11][12][10] Often unavoidable when multiple cultures come together, cultural appropriation can include using other cultures' cultural and religious traditions, fashion, symbols, language, and music.[13][14][15]

According to critics of the practice, cultural appropriation differs from acculturation, assimilation, or cultural exchange in that this appropriation is a form of colonialism: cultural elements are copied from a minority culture by members of a dominant culture, and these elements are used outside of their original cultural context—sometimes even against the expressly stated wishes of members of the originating culture.[3][16][17][18][19][20][21]

Often, the original meaning of these cultural elements is lost or distorted, and such displays are often viewed as disrespectful, or even as a form of desecration, by members of the originating culture.[16][22][23][1] Cultural elements which may have deep meaning to the original culture may be reduced to "exotic" fashion or toys by those from the dominant culture

Virgin Ryan

It's a cultural appropriation if only white people use another race culture. I can be wrong tho, but that's my thought. 

DeleteMyAccount

Coming from an actual Asian......

No it's not cultural appreciation. I assume that all designers/makeup/etc were all done by the Chinese or with Chinese approval. I mean it's a BEAUTIFUL look. Come on.. However, I do feel like this becomes problematic when Western people view this and see Asian women as exotic models in a bad way. It's like orientalism. That's when I don't approve. 

BUT. Let's be real though. The reaction towards a white or Asian woman dressed up in fantasized Nigerian or Ghanian garbs for a magazine cover in Africa would be world ending. Imo.

Plus, here in America, I feel like we never really care about the feelings of Asian representation/people. Authentic Asian food/drinks are only now getting popular after the phase of Americanized Asian takeout. Also, Asian culture in general has always been misused in our culture whether or not you'd want to call it cultural appropriation or appreciate. Just look at Kendrick Lamar and SZA's last video together. Tragic.

I'm just saddened by the fact that people never take Asian issues as seriously as other minorities. I mean we never hear about our struggles in the media or literally anywhere...

Danjajr
6 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

People saying CA isn’t real sound delusional. 

This is definitely a real thing that happens: 

Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation,[2][3][4] is the adoption of elements of one culture by members of another culture. This can be controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures.[5][2][3]

Cultural appropriation is considered harmful by many, and to be a violation of the collective intellectual property rights of the originating, minority cultures,[6][7][8][9][10] notably indigenous cultures and those living under colonial rule.[2][11][12][10] Often unavoidable when multiple cultures come together, cultural appropriation can include using other cultures' cultural and religious traditions, fashion, symbols, language, and music.[13][14][15]

According to critics of the practice, cultural appropriation differs from acculturation, assimilation, or cultural exchange in that this appropriation is a form of colonialism: cultural elements are copied from a minority culture by members of a dominant culture, and these elements are used outside of their original cultural context—sometimes even against the expressly stated wishes of members of the originating culture.[3][16][17][18][19][20][21]

Often, the original meaning of these cultural elements is lost or distorted, and such displays are often viewed as disrespectful, or even as a form of desecration, by members of the originating culture.[16][22][23][1] Cultural elements which may have deep meaning to the original culture may be reduced to "exotic" fashion or toys by those from the dominant culture

Can u give your actual thought without citing from Wiki lol

Morphine Prince
14 minutes ago, Danjajr said:

Can u give your actual thought without citing from Wiki lol

I’m just posting a basic description for people who don’t know what it is. 

This isn’t me not giving an actual thought. 

Can YOU give an actual thought without having to resort to bashing people for posting a description? 

DeleteMyAccount

Another point.

I do feel like the optics of this are sort of bad too, however. Why is it that non-Chinese cover Stars dress in Asian fantasy? Look at Rhi's other Bazaar China Cover. Other covers aren't this "Chinese". Maybe it's a way for the Chinese to show appreciation for someone like Rhi, but idk. Rhi doing these covers only boldens the idea of orientalism in my opinion. It's not ugly, but still.

rihanna-by-chen-man-for-harpers-bazaar-c6fa35b468ac4180998cc32da77c797d9.jpg

Danjajr
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

I’m just posting a basic description for people who don’t know what it is. 

This isn’t me not giving an actual thought. 

Can YOU give an actual though without having to resort to bashing people for posting a description? 

I bashed you because of your weak citing skill lol all the numbers there are confusing, at least delete them 

and I have never experienced culture appreciation before, as someone has said above, it barely exists outside America 

Dominic

Cultural appropriation usually happens at the highest of levels in huge organisations (fashion, sport etc) as there is usually significant monetary gain. This isnt the case here, its Chinese and Rihanna will get paid for being on the cover, not for wearing those specific clothes.

I'd say no but I can see why others may disagree :shrug:

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Morphine Prince
4 minutes ago, Danjajr said:

I bashed you because of your weak citing skill lol all the numbers there are confusing, at least delete them 

and I have never experienced culture appreciation before, as someone has said above, it barely exists outside America 

Oh my God.... I literally just posted a basic definition from Wikipedia because people here are too ignorant to realize this happens. I’m not gonna do your homework for you. 

And that’s great. You know just because you haven’t experienced something it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. A wild concept! 

Killa

Well it's a bit absurd to come to a chinese spread and just paste some oriental generic design. It's such a yawn, like that was a fashion thing in the 2000's. The problem here is not really that awful concept of cult app.

davflz

I'd like to add, that cultural appropriation isn't inharently harmful nor positive. Most commonly CA just simply refers to the process of one culture adopting something from another culture. Technically a french person eating pizza is cultural appropriation. That's why I think of CA as a neutral & descriptive term in general. Wether or not CA is harmful depends on context and specific circumstances.

DeleteMyAccount
7 minutes ago, Dominic said:

Cultural appropriation usually happens at the highest of levels in huge organisations (fashion, sport etc) as there is usually significant monetary gain. This isnt the case here, its Chinese and Rihanna will get paid for being on the cover, not for wearing those specific clothes.

I'd say no but I can see why others may disagree :shrug:

Well and I'd also add that this is a magazine being bought primarily by Asian consumers. It's not like it's Orientalism slapped onto a magazine bought by white people fantasizing over the wonders of Asia. 

However, Western viewers are taking this photoshoot by storm and looking at it in awe. And it's unfortunately the only Asian news they'll take in for the whole year. 

Reality

Cultural appropriation is definitely real. I don't understand why some people are so persistent to say it's not :shrug:

That being said, this is not cultural appropriation at all. People need to learn the difference between appropriation  and appreciation. Rihanna is very clearly appreciating the culture. She's not being disrespectful, she looks gorgeous, and if anything, she looks like she's having immense respect and reverse for the culture. 

🖤👹

Archived