💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Rihanna slammed for cultural appropriation - is she?

AMENiCURE

Featured Posts

Economy
Just now, Oshawott said:

I can't decide whose side to take. On one hand, I really dislike Rihanna since I feel that she gets away with many questionable things such as her minimal talent and overall lack of input in her own music. But on the other hand, I hate this SJW culture that we've been dealing with for the past ~5 years, so I'm not really seeing eye-to-eye with the cultural appropriate complaints. 

Your dislike for Rinnas artistry and talent or lack there of shouldn't be related to this

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Z
2 hours ago, Economy said:

Do u actually not know?

SJW stands for "Social Justice Warrior"

People who interpret every situation as racist, homophobic, sexist, ageist, etc etc etc even when a situation doesnt necessary prove it might be the case

For example say a heterosexual man and a gay man are up for a job and the Herero man gets hired and the gay man does not...

A SJW might assume the gay man didn't get the job because of discrimination and make a stink about it without considering that it was a 50% chance or without knowing if maybe the straight man was more qualified and that maybe him getting hired had nothing to do with discrimination

But an SJW won't look at the situation subjectively. If it can be interpreted as a social injustice, that's often the conclusion they jump to

Thank you so much for clarifying this, I was lost:kara: 

ANTI WP
5 hours ago, Economy said:

The designers are usually European ur right

But when it comes to cultural trends including fashions the world seems to copy America 

Music, Food chains, Electronics that are in etc highly American

:awkney: sure 

Inferno

its only appropriation if it attempts to exploit another cultures tradition for profit without benefiting the culture from which it rips. in this case, it was styled by chinese people for a chinese magazine being bought primarily by chinese readers. this is an example of appreciation vs. appropriation.

Guillaume Hamon
11 hours ago, Inferno said:

its only appropriation if it attempts to exploit another cultures tradition for profit without benefiting the culture from which it rips. in this case, it was styled by chinese people for a chinese magazine being bought primarily by chinese readers. this is an example of appreciation vs. appropriation.

But let's say a white singer makes an R&B song. It would be "exploiting a culture for profit without any benefit for the culture he borrowed from" so what is the singer supposed to do for it to not be appropriation? Avoid to make a song in this music genre or give the money he makes on the track?

StrawberryBlond

If you're styled by Chinese stylists, made up by Chinese make up artists, have your hair styled by Chinese hairdressers, get photographed by Chinese photographers, get that picture published in Chinese Vogue to be purchased by Chinese consumers...how can you be appropriating Chinese culture? They have made the choice to put it onto you. The whole point of these shoots is that the subject doesn't choose how they are protrayed, the magazine does, so this is nothing more than the Chinese being proud of their culture and wanting to show it for their fellow Chinese consumers and the world. This isn't on Rihanna but on the holders of that native culture who clearly see nothing wrong with foreigners dabbling in it. So what's the problem?

This is the problem with cultural appropriation - it polices culture rather than celebrating it. It looks for conflict when there is none. It says that there's "nothing wrong with cultural appreciation as long as you do it right" but then moments like this show that there is no solid definition of "doing it right" as nothing gets accepted.

23 hours ago, ShayCristoforo said:

The tea. Because a lot of white people can't accept that they're labeled with cultural appropriation. And feel like they should be free to do anything. So they act out.

But we (and by "we," I mean, the entire world) should be free to engage in any culture we choose. We live in free countries and if we shouldn't, we deserve to. Such a basic, innocent thing as enjoying a culture should be something free to all without complaint. And I wouldn't call wearing a dress from another culture to be "acting out." I'd associate that term with antisocial/criminal behaviour. Have a bit of perspective!

23 hours ago, ShayCristoforo said:

No, I'm saying that white people are often racially narcissistic lol, and that's prob the ONLY reason they point fingers. Because they get pushback for "appropriating" so then they deem it necessary to police the world. Sulking essentially lol

I've seen racial entitlement from every race - it's a modern day affliction in an age of all-round narcissism. We haven't been "racially narcissitic" for quite a while, until we started to be led to believe that we were doing something wrong while behaving innocently. Of course if certain people want to be all high and mighty and dictate how others should live, we want them to have room to talk. So, it's a case of "If this is cultural appropriation to you, why can't you see yourself doing it?" Making sure that SJWs actually practice what they preach isn't policing the world, it's demanding consistent standards. It's not to police them in any way, we just want their hypocrisy to be realised.

Inferno
On 7/11/2019 at 8:43 AM, Guillaume Hamon said:

But let's say a white singer makes an R&B song. It would be "exploiting a culture for profit without any benefit for the culture he borrowed from" so what is the singer supposed to do for it to not be appropriation? Avoid to make a song in this music genre or give the money he makes on the track?

Well first of all plenty of white artists utilize R&B so kind of a weak example but ill respond. also, my response was more specifically in reference to fashion, for example, a collection made by a white artist for a big haus based on traditional mexican clothing featuring all white models and white artisans with no inclusion of people within the culture it rips? appropriation. pierre's valentino collections are good examples (for the most part) of a white designer utilizing aesthetics from other cultures but including the cultures from which theyre from. its just basic respect. you cant appropriate traditional garb and sell it to white folks for instance here in the u.s. who want to wear mexican aesthetics while supporting detention centers and a wall. when you think about it from that perspective its twisted. do you acknowledge that distinction?

so to answer your music question,imo no. What is the artists history with whatever style of music? Who are they working with? Who are they employing? Do they have relationships within the industry? And most importantly what is their intent in foraying into whatever genre it is? These are all things that contribute to the authenticity of the artist. R&B isn't the bestest example because its been whitewashed for decades. Its not like rap music where the culture surrounding it is relatively insular so outsiders stick out like sore thumbs. If you have talent and a creative voice with integrity thats always going to be okay. Which is why people like Iggy Azalea for example come into question because it was a sound and a culture 100% foreign to her that she adopted with little vision or talent to back herself up. NOW whether or not shes actually offensive, imo, is up for debate and personally I think she was used as a sort of sacrificial lamb at the ignition of the mainstream racial politics we're familiar with today. but i guess thats another conversation.

Like to approach this topic you really have to think big picture. you cant just look at someone online tweeting at someone else enraged and immediately come to the conclusion that all arguments on the topic of cultural appropriation are fascist art policing. Like, its deeper than that. Its nuanced. Its rooted in years and years and years of history here in the us. Its not that simple. And yes, sometimes call out culture can be hypocritical and toxic. Not denying that. But you can't just completely write it off either. People aren't always balancing themselves out.

Guillaume Hamon
13 hours ago, Inferno said:

Well first of all plenty of white artists utilize R&B so kind of a weak example

I know it's not rare I grew up with plenty of white artists doing R&B lol. :)  I just wanted to get your view about the principle I know it happens a lot.

also, my response was more specifically in reference to fashion, for example, a collection made by a white artist for a big haus based on traditional mexican clothing featuring all white models and white artisans with no inclusion of people within the culture it rips? appropriation.

It reminds me Marc jacobs collection with many black hairstyle worn only by non-black models. It's quite vile indeed.

Which is why people like Iggy Azalea for example come into question because it was a sound and a culture 100% foreign to her that she adopted with little vision or talent to back herself up.

True. Even if she was saying she grew up listening rap all the time etc it still appeared like a fabrication time to time. Mainly since her accent was switching from australian to southern US to a kind of "blackcent" or whatever. It made her appear like a made up product.

. you cant appropriate traditional garb and sell it to white folks for instance here in the u.s. who want to wear mexican aesthetics while supporting detention centers and a wall. when you think about it from that perspective its twisted.

Not the  centers that separated families or treat the folks who wanted to come illegally in a inhuman way before to send them back, that's for sure.

I agree you should at least include people of the culture among the faces of your work on top of acknowledging the influence. The saying say "art is meant to be shared" and it's true but there are way to do it. Nothing worst than people saying they came up with it or blurry stuffs like that.

Inferno
13 hours ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

I know it's not rare I grew up with plenty of white artists doing R&B lol. :)  I just wanted to get your view about the principle I know it happens a lot.

It reminds me Marc jacobs collection with many black hairstyle worn only by non-black models. It's quite vile indeed.

True. Even if she was saying she grew up listening rap all the time etc it still appeared like a fabrication time to time. Mainly since her accent was switching from australian to southern US to a kind of "blackcent" or whatever. It made her appear like a made up product.

Not the  centers that separated families or treat the folks who wanted to come illegally in a inhuman way before to send them back, that's for sure.

I agree you should at least include people of the culture among the faces of your work on top of acknowledging the influence. The saying say "art is meant to be shared" and it's true but there are way to do it. Nothing worst than people saying they came up with it or blurry stuffs like that.

Yeah its a touchy subject these days for a lot of people, personally I think people are too quick to jump the gun on "cancelling" someone or something without actually looking into what it is that they're judging, if that makes sense. Cultural appropriation is a valid thing, I just don't think its always what some people say it is.

Archived