Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Rihanna slammed for cultural appropriation - is she?

AMENiCURE

Featured Posts

HoneyB

Stream Princess of China:bon:

Spoiler

They kinda have a point but idk I don’t think it’s that serious...

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LeJudas

I'm not Asian but is this really offensive.

But isn't showing culture a way to show admiration of the style or something?

I'm confused. Like how can others show appreciation without being labeled racist.

Ryusei

it's not tho wtf.. f*ck off. Kim Kardashian's case is appropriation because she literally took the name of a traditional japanese garment and tried to make it hers. That is the textbook definition of cultural appropriation. But this is done in the CHINESE ISSUE OF THE MAGAZINE... and Rihanna isnt profiting off it or claiming it as hers.. 

Musery

edengowon

It is literally clothes.

I understand cultural appropriation if you're appropriating an accent or a slang word or something, but the world would be a very boring place if we weren't allowed to wear clothes from other places :oops:

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Reginald

How is it cultural appropriation if this is for Vogue China? Sounds like a very subjective criticism.

Regardless, she look sickeningly good in this shoot omfg. New album soon pleeeease 

BlackSwan Cat & Mouse

Reality
50 minutes ago, LeJudas said:

I'm not Asian but is this really offensive.

But isn't showing culture a way to show admiration of the style or something?

I'm confused. Like how can others show appreciation without being labeled racist.

While I'm not Chinese or East Asian, I am Asian, so while I can't really fully speak on whether or not this is offensive to Chinese culture, I do think I can have at least some perspective on this.

I don't find this offensive at all. What Rihanna is doing here is appreciating  Chinese culture. She's not making a mockery of it. She's not being disrespectful. She's just taking a photoshoot with some really beautiful pieces of clothing. 

Quite honestly, I feel like a lot of the times it's people who get offended  for other cultures  that make things like this a big mess. I rarely, if ever, see an actual Chinese or Asian person get super  offended by stuff like this. I see this as people embracing the beauty of a culture. There's no shame or wrong in that. 

🖤👹

If this is cultural appropriation then it’s the most beautiful and respectful appropriation I’ve ever seen 

derpmonster

Edit: let's not say she got "slammed" just because two random commenters decided to use a buzzword without understanding it. :awkney:

I usually don't care about cultural appropriation in most cases. In some cases it is  a valid criticism, like when people wear Native American costumes or make fun of something or dress up as a particular race on Halloween. That's distasteful. But wearing an outfit in general, no. 

But yes, black people do get a pass for appropriation being a minority themselves. Beyonce wore a very Indian outfit in the Hymn For The Weekend video and she's not Indian. :awkney: Like I said, it's not a bad thing and most Indian people actually love that. It's just the double standard that's the issue. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Guillaume Hamon

The

14 minutes ago, WarriorPhoenix said:

I understand cultural appropriation if you're appropriating an accent or a slang word or something,

Yes when people try to be someone they're not it looks like some soul-snatching  and it's vile indeed...
When it's about looks, food etc it's quite different imo.

14 minutes ago, WarriorPhoenix said:

the world would be a very boring place if we weren't allowed to wear clothes from other places :oops:

Exact! If you love a look from an other culture and wear it, that's a proof of appreciation for this invention. 
As long as you don't act like if you came up with the look or represent the look in a degrading/ mocking way I really see nothing inappropriate.

People just make up dramas nowadays.

Rudz Xinc

What's wrong? She's all cover up?

I can't at this modern world. :triggered:

Are you happy in this modern world? Apparently not! :ohwell:

Look at those clowns

It was styled by, approved by, and published by a Chinese publication like........hello?

Guillaume Hamon
8 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Quite honestly, I feel like a lot of the times it's people who get offended  for other cultures  that makes things like this a big mess. I rarely, if ever, see an actual Chinese or Asian person get super  offended by stuff like this. I see this as people embracing the beauty of a culture.

What you say reminds me of the Hello Kitty music video by Avril Lavigne featuring japanese culture.

Many folks were SO shocked in the western world yet in Japan there was no massive polemic lol.

:lmao:

River

Rihanna tweeting about the mess in Sudan and Africa in general: SJW are silent

Rihanna tweeting a photoshot of her in a kimono that was designed by a Chinese designers for a Chinese magazine: SJW going crazy

And this is the perfect example of the shallow world that we're living in and how the SJW culture is a fake and ignorant culture.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Archived