Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

#NotMyAriel trends after black actress was cast to play the Little Mermaid

Bambino

Featured Posts

DelusionalGaga

Once again a bunch of grown ass adults are doing the most about a children's movie. Actual kids would probably have zero issues with Ariel being black. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
giskardsb

imagine being Halle and being so happy about getting this role and then seeing a bunch of people trying to tear you down because your skin and hair aren't the right shade.

I get that people are nostalgic, but you still have the animated little mermaid.  It's ok that the new one isn't the same.

Glamourpuss

I'm not mad that the actress is black. I am all for diversity in Hollywood and she is really attractive. 

But I am disappointed when characters have a certain look and then it gets changed because I like the familiarity. I hope that there aren't too many differences so it doesn't ruin the nostalgia.

They better not mess with Eric, the most attractive Disney prince. He better still look like a dark haired, blue eyed, handsome man.  :flutter:

Craven Moorecox
3 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Even though I don't support this casting, I think petitioning to fire her is too far. But that's precisely why I don't think diversity casting is the best idea. It's not fair on the actors to be hated on because the film studio wanted to appeal to the woke crowd who probably aren't even fans of the original but just want to give themselves a pat on the back for being their interpretation of progressive. Just give the public what they want and there wouldn't be these hate campaigns against innocent actors. Why these studios don't have this foresight is beyond me.

Have you ever considered the possibility that she earn that role by being the best actress who auditioned? :interestinga:

Jose P
14 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Tianas racial background is 100% integral to the character and the story. The same cannot be said for Ariel. You can't make that comparison at all. Period.

Ok then let’s make another comparison. Johnny Storm in the last Fantastic Four movie. Johnny is white. The actor that was cast is black. Johnny’s sister, Susan, is white but that didn’t stop them from casting a black actor. They went as far as to change his backstory and make him an adopted sibling and everything, just so they could cast a black actor.

My point is, if a character is white then a white actor must be cast. If the character is black then a black actor must be cast. And the same for every race. Forced diversity is just nonsensical really, and it happens because when people see too many white characters on the screen they start complaining about “lack of diversity”. It’s annoying.

Inferno
3 minutes ago, Jose P said:

Ok then let’s make another comparison. Johnny Storm in the last Fantastic Four movie. Johnny is white. The actor that was cast is black. Johnny’s sister, Susan, is white but that didn’t stop them from casting a black actor. They went as far as to change his backstory and make him an adopted sibling and everything, just so they could cast a black actor.

My point is, if a character is white then a white actor must be cast. If the character is black then a black actor must be cast. And the same for every race. Forced diversity is just nonsensical really, and it happens because when people see too many white characters on the screen they start complaining about “lack of diversity”. It’s annoying.

Its called representation. Its not forced, and the fact that you believe its forced says a lot more about you than it does the fact that a black actor was cast. White people don't need representation because they've only been represented for decades upon decades. You can't claim that they're being mistreated when in actuality all thats happening is its not only them that are getting roles. How do you not comprehend that fact? You've got your head in the sand homie. Your position stems from ignorance, straight up.

SEXODUS

Adaptations and remakes are never intended to bring the same exact product, with the same themes and meanings. It’s only natural that what was relevant all those years ago isn’t relevant in this exact time and place. They’d be anachronistic. 

People are afraid of not being able to empathise again with that same character, so they resolve to stupid comments. In this case, no matter what is your argument, it is racist plain and simple.

The red hair is iconic, I get it, but it was iconic for our previous generation. A white-centered generation nonetheless, if we’re speaking cultural media. 

A black casting was not necessary, but it will have great repercussions on the next generation. A generation that needs to stop portraying only one skin, one shade, one personality. 

We live in a multicultural world. We don’t need to put aside our differences. What we need is represent them, get used to them and start appreciating diversity.

I hope they do this right.

Jose P
1 minute ago, Inferno said:

Its called representation. Its not forced, and the fact that you believe its forced says a lot more about you than it does the fact that a black actor was cast. White people don't need representation because they've only been represented for decades upon decades. You can't claim that they're being mistreated when in actuality all thats happening is its not only them that are getting roles. How do you not comprehend that fact? You've got your head in the sand homie. Your position stems from ignorance, straight up.

You can’t say it’s never forced though. I mean it’s not always forced but sometimes it is and you can tell. Like the example I gave you. Why not make Susan Storm black as well? It’s less complicated. But they took the cost of changing Johnny’s entire background so they could make him black and only him. Not his sister. Just him. 

Sometimes diversity IS forced into the media and in my opinion, it sucks. It’s disingenuous. As a gay man, I like seeing gay characters in big movies and shows. But when I can tell the gay characters is nothing more than a token, it bothers me. Sometimes diversity comes from pressure and that’s it. I love diversity in movies and shows but when it’s honest, not forced and fake.

I don’t mean to say Halle being cast as Ariel is an example of that. I was just trying to make it clear how stupid it is for people to say a character’s race doesn’t matter but when a previously black character is played by a white actor those same people suddenly care and lose their heads over it calling racism.  

Thomas P

internalized racism is back back back back again. 

Anyone pressed about a black Ariel needs to reevaluate their lives like ****. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

SEXODUS
13 minutes ago, Jose P said:

A character can be rewritten, can change from black to white, to asian, to alien if we had them. 

Don’t forget we’re never talking about real people, and unless it’s a biopic which really does require you to portray that person to the best of reality, a character that’s invented was invented for a specific social and therefore intellectual reason. Social reasons change, and so can the character, both physically and intellectually, in order to match the message.

Characters aren’t static. Character shouldn’t be locked in a box just so we can get nostalgic. 

So, no. This isn’t forced representation. This comes for a place of wanting to shake things up, and so they should.

Morphine Prince

Imagine being outraged over an imaginary fish’s race. Can’t relate. 

Snejana

where was this energy and concern with casting accuracy when miss scarlett johansson was cast as lead actress in the ghost in the shell live action ?? clowns 

ice bear

Come to think i never thought of Halle without Chloe :oprah:

ice heard one side from above

Thomas P
12 minutes ago, Snejana said:

where was this energy and concern with casting accuracy when miss scarlett johansson was cast as lead actress in the ghost in the shell live action ?? clowns 

Yes. This. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Sanne Godijn
1 hour ago, giskardsb said:

imagine being Halle and being so happy about getting this role and then seeing a bunch of people trying to tear you down because your skin and hair aren't the right shade.

I get that people are nostalgic, but you still have the animated little mermaid.  It's ok that the new one isn't the 

I know right i feel so sad for her i hope she gets through this

Archived