Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

Stranger Things | Season 3 Discussion

mariomania1234

Featured Posts

Renie

Just finished

Spoiler

I’m full on ugly crying! I haven’t cried this hard since the first time I saw ASIB!

Spoiler

Is Hopper the American in Russia at the end?!:cryga:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thatfoxyfeeling

Just finished and oh wow that final episode was so good. I preferred season 2 but it was a really entertaining season, hope we don’t need to wait more than a year for the next season. :cryga:

mariomania1234

I finished this last night and absolutely loved it. I think a fair bit more than season 2. Maybe on par with Season 1.

They really went for a big blockbuster feel this season which I like. Each season seems to have a distinct feeling for me.

I thought they did a fantastic job of balancing character development and story plot, and humor with darker plots.  Everything seemed liked a natural and organic progression and I have full faith that The Duffer Brothers know where their going with the story.

And yes, I cried pretty hard at that finale. It may be the best and most beautiful episode they've ever done.

Love this show.

Miel

I think I'm still processing my complete feelings on this season, but overall I liked it. Despite its flaws, it was purely entertaining. Off the top of my head:

GOOD

-the cast, as always, was absolutely incredible (kudos to Millie and Dacre, especially)

-change in overall visual and aesthetic tone was very well done

-the visuals overall are some of the best I've ever seen on a TV show!

-rapid pace made for a very sleek, streamlined, and very "80's schlock action movie" feel, which was fun

-Robin is a great addition, Nancy had a much better role, Joyce finally got some flexibility in her script; overall, women were written better

-less reliance on El's powers was a fresh change (narratively; visually, she used it more often and much mroe powerfully)

BAD

-the change of pace really made some of the plot and development feel stifled

-a lot of potential character arcs (Billy, Max, Lucas) were handled very weirdly and choppily; or, fairly ignored (Mrs. Wheeler)

-the first half of the season really handled Hopper kind of oddly, like a direct one-dimensional 80's dad archetype as opposed to a nostalgic throwback to said archetype; he was almost unlikable

-lack of exploration of the Upside Down's mechanics, functions, and history really only created more questions than answers

PERSONAL WORST GRIPE

The writers really missed a character exploration with Billy (and, by extension, Max). Their dynamics, individually and combined, was such an interesting character foil in conjunction with the main characters. Max is rough and gruff because of her experiences with her family, leading to a complex season-long interaction with the main gang. Billy, in contrast to Nancy and Jonathan and Steve, is a volatile and chaotic child who represents a direct manifestation of 1980's homophobic and closeted (his interactions with Steve) racist (his interactions with Lucas) machismo (his interactions with girls, Mrs. Wheeler). Combine that with the absolutely horrific scene of Billy getting abused by his homophobic (and likely racist) father, their whole arc seemed to be a very powerful setup of a dissection of a middle-American family in the decade of AIDS and the Cold War.

They really threw that out the window in Season 3, and gave us a botched, patchy dynamic between Max and Billy. It kind of worked out in the end, but I think that was purely on the performances of Sadie and Dacre, not the writing. Shame.

3 points in and ready for more

Miel
On 7/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, Renie said:

Just finished

Hide contents

I’m full on ugly crying! I haven’t cried this hard since the first time I saw ASIB!

Hide contents

Is Hopper the American in Russia at the end?!:cryga:

SPOILERS, I think?

I think the writers left the ending very, very open of a possibility of either (or both) Hopper or Billy somehow still being alive. They didn't show any funeral scenes for either of them (I guess the note could be seen as an in-narrative obituary), or what happened to their bodies. Hopper's body disappeared fairly cleanly and suspiciously, and Billy's body (which was attacked by the Mind Flayer in a kind of dubious manner) drained fluid that wasn't blood, and may have been collected by the government.

Plus, the whole ending sequence played a cover of Heroes, which was the song that played when they found Will's (fake) body in Stranger Things 1. It implies that Hopper, and to a lesser extent Billy, could return.

There's also an offhand chance that it's Brenner, but honestly who tf knows what's going on with him and the other experiments at this point.

3 points in and ready for more

Morphine Prince

Absolutely loved this season. Liked it more than season 2. 

The end was so sad omg. 

nodandsmile

Only at episode 4  but you y'all were not lying, this so GOOD! What a cast! I don't want to finish it quickly  but not sure if I can stop myself  :huntyga: 

River

We just finished, like damn, I'm still shaking of how good the 7th and 8th episodes were, omg

I think this season is much better than the 2nd and a coming back to the 1st season kind of quality.

I liked the refreshment of the summer season, it was nice to see more color and fun.

One thing that I didn't like is that 8 episodes were not enough, I wanted more, it ended so soon, like I just said hi and now I say goodbye :bradley:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Teal Ambition
On 7/7/2019 at 3:08 AM, Morphine Prince said:

Absolutely loved this season. Liked it more than season 2. 

The end was so sad omg. 

Me too :giveup: Never expected to cry watching Stranger Things :cryga:

▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌

RAMROD
8 hours ago, River said:

We just finished, like damn, I'm still shaking of how good the 7th and 8th episodes were, omg

I think this season is much better than the 2nd and a coming back to the 1st season kind of quality.

I liked the refreshment of the summer season, it was nice to see more color and fun.

Did you squirm at the beginning of episode 8? :poot:

I know I did, like, eeeeeek!! I know why I am not choosing to be a doctor or a nurse :nooo:

And totally agree with you. S3 and S1 are best. S2 coming close.

Have you seen the little backstage video that Netflix posted on YT? Looks like next season will be back to Winter again, since there was another Christmas set. :diane:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

River
33 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Did you squirm at the beginning of episode 8? :poot:

I know I did, like, eeeeeek!! I know why I am not choosing to be a doctor or a nurse :nooo:

And totally agree with you. S3 and S1 are best. S2 coming close.

Have you seen the little backstage video that Netflix posted on YT? Looks like next season will be back to Winter again, since there was another Christmas set. :diane:

lol after GOT and other sadistic shows, I'm kinda immune to disgusting scene lol, my husband was with his eyes closed until it was over :laughga:

No I didn't watch this video yet! I will soon! I'm ok with coming back to winter, but only if we get it by Xmas 2019 :bon:

So 4 season confirmed right?!?!?!

Dominic
14 minutes ago, River said:

lol after GOT and other sadistic shows, I'm kinda immune to disgusting scene lol, my husband was with his eyes closed until it was over :laughga:

No I didn't watch this video yet! I will soon! I'm ok with coming back to winter, but only if we get it by Xmas 2019 :bon:

So 4 season confirmed right?!?!?!

Netflix haven't renewed it officially but the creators have said S4 will be the last. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

River
5 minutes ago, Dominic said:

Netflix haven't renewed it officially but the creators have said S4 will be the last. 

idk if they can answer all the questions and mysteries in one season, or will they? :omg:

Rino

Here are my 2 cents on the new season: 

1. The visuals were top notch :vegas: Whole presentation was spectacular overall :vegas: the only thing that bugs me a bit is that there was no memorable musical moment in the movie. Like the only soundtrack song that I remembered was Heroes in the finale, and they already used that song in the first season. I was looking for new old songs that haven't been used in the series yet :noparty:

2. It kinda felt like the "evil Russians" were dumbed down quite a lot, especially considering how their super secret base was discovered and penetrated by a bunch of kids, but, hey, Russians lost the Cold War after all, so maybe it's a bit realistic :trollga:

3. There was a bit too much romance in this season for me to handle, and it's such a shame that the one couple I was rooting for from the beginning - Steve and Robin - ended up being a dud :messga:

At least Steve looked hot in that sailor costume. Gimme your ice cream daddy :lolly:

Until his beautiful face got beaten up yet AGAIN :cryga:

4. I refuse to believe that Hopper would handle the whole El and Mike love situation in such a barbaric way. He seemed like a smart and cunning man to me in the previous seasons :interestinga:

5. Loved Erica,  she's such a funny and witty character, hope she will have even more screen time in the next season :saira:

6. I believe almost half of the Hawkins' population was turned into a Mind Flayer jelly, but nobody seemed to care for all those missing people. And there were so many random people's deaths in this season, I didn't even bat an eye when Hopper shot 3 Russian guards at once. I felt like the deaths were excessive and anticlimactic. 

7. I was expecting Mind Flayer to not be taken down so easily.  I used to think that it was actually an intelligent and sly being. 

Overall, this is probably my least favorite season so far, but I'm gonna rewatch it for a final opinion. I liked it still though. 

月にかわって、おしおきよ!🌙

Dominic
4 hours ago, River said:

idk if they can answer all the questions and mysteries in one season, or will they? :omg:

Tbf, they've kinda dragged this plotline out for 3 seasons so I dont think itll be too difficult to wrap up. Without the little cliff-hangers it could have ended at S1 or S2. 

Hopefully S4 is just as good as 1 and 3 though. Finished watching it today and my life no longer has purpose 😪

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Archived