Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
musician

Hard to Stan Billie Eilish

PeachJug

Featured Posts

PeachJug

Hey guys, I am having a hard time deciding if I can stan billie.

Preface: I know stan culture can be terrible, but it can also be innocent and fun. I guess what I mean by the term is just that I fall completely in love with an artist/their music/their aesthetic/...everything.

So like, I like her music and her artistry a lot. Her vocals are on point, and lyrically she and her brother are super talented. HOWEVER. And I don't know if this is something that I should even care about... but usually I only stan people who I love AS A PERSON, as a non-problematic celebrity. Someone who at least doesn't support harmful things...

HIM: That being said. Her support of XXXTentacion is still preventing me from wanting to fully support her. If you don't know much about him, he had a history of physical violence and crime, including beating his homosexual prison-mate and pregnant girlfriend.

HER: I've watched everything she's said regarding him, and in no way has she supported his terrible actions. However, she spreads messages that he was a great guy and helped her a lot.

ME: This is where I get conflicted. Even bad people can be good at times, and his help to her seems very deep and important. And sometimes it's ok to appreciate the good side of someone. But is it ok to ignore the dark side? Is it wrong for her to spread support for him (even dedicating/performing songs to commemorate him)? I don't know. Please help me decide.

More thoughts:

Spoiler

I also stan Amy Winehouse, who as you probably know had a troublesome history as well with alcohol abuse. The thing is, though, she didn't harm others nor did she try to influence others into that life.

Lana Del Rey sometimes glamorizes domestic violence + other strange things, but none of that escapes her artistry. Nothing but expression of her desires/history/conflict, and nothing more tangible than a dream.

Lady Gaga is a perfect example of someone I can EASILY stan without worry. She has used her music and success for philanthropy to help millions. She avoids drama and is one of the least problematic celebrities. She spreads positivity and works to make the world a better place. The most controversial thing she's done is probably work with R Kelly, which was bad in retrospect but did not in any way send support to his actions (which she likely did not know about, nor did the media for what I know). And she has done so much to correct that + work against sexual assault.

My other stans: Lorde, David Bowie, Marina and the Diamonds, Birdy, Adele, Ingrid Michaelson
Other Pending due to possibly problematic: Grimes, Borns, Billie

Another question: Does anyone else do this kind of digging + intense thinking before buying albums/following on social media/stanning? am i weird :O

TLDR: Billie supported XXXTentacion, so I am unsure if I should stan her despite liking her music.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zander

You should just listen to her music because you enjoy it and not let whatever the artist's  personal opinions might be affect your listening experience. Primarily we listen to music because we like what we hear not because of what their personal opinions are. 

PaulR2345

I didn't think stan culture required so much thinking... don’t you just stan who you like? If you’re not sure you like her then don’t stan her idk 

AlexanderMagno

Honestly, you're overthinking it yes, too much.

Just... If you like her, you like her. You don't have to agree with everything she says and does, you just have to enjoy her music and everything that comes along with it. Why complicate that. Why make "stan" such a deal, this is why stan culture really is horrible.

Think about it, you'll never truly know her as a person. She'll always be what she releases for you. So why care so much about how she is as a person and all that stuff? She didn't kill or molested anyone as far as we know, you like her work, ok good that's it. Why being so conflicted for liking one artist.

Shipper

Uhm if i like someone, i like them and i dont really do a backgroung che k on them like you did. Lol.

But then again im lucky that with Gaga, the deeper i got the more i found out she was a wonderful person. 

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

Gagaplayer315
6 minutes ago, PeachJug said:

Her support of XXXTentacion

Don't do it

/Thread

RAMROD

If you actually need to rethink of your action in general, the answer is always no.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

River

If you knew how many artists, even big ones, are supporting R.Kelly and Dr. Luke but just don't say that, you wouldn't listen to music at all, or just to Gaga lol

Don't think too much, it's not her actions at the end and it's a habit to support your friends no matter what in some sense, she's bias about him but it's not a crime..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Anderson123

I think you're thinking too much. Just listen to her or not, you don't have to STAN like the way that word is used.

Didymus

I don't think Gaga is that unproblematic, actually :emma:

— She also worked with Terry and implied that the media (and the models testifying about his abuse) lied about him, even though a few years later she would go viral with her "victims of abuse should always be believed" statements :interestinga:
— She performed in Israel without saying a word about the Israel/Palestine conflict and actually claimed global media lied about Israel being a violent country :lana:
— She called for a boycott of the Olympics in Russia because of that country's stance on homosexuality but still accepted a million dollars from Azerbaijan to perform at the Olympics there (also without saying a word), even though that country is just as homophobic :messga:
She called out both Nicki and Katy for copying her looks even though it was obvious they weren't (and in Katy's case it was even worse than that because a few months prior Gaga had that "media pit women against each other, me and Katy should support each other" moment to save Applause) :oops:
— Some of her charity work has been questionable to say the least, like how only an undisclosed "portion" of the proceeds of TIHTY went to relevant (unnamed) organizations or when she brought in a camera crew to an LGBT+ homeless shelter to promote her new single :air:

My point isn't to blast Gaga but yeah, she could easily be included in your list tbh :rip: So I wouldn't sweat it. If you look hard enough there will always be problematic sides to an artist.

Maybe just try to distinguish in your head supporting an artist from enjoying their art :shrug:

PeachJug

I guess before the conversation continues I'd like to say that I think you guys are bringing up really great points. I definitely do overthink these things.

Even things like Chic fil A... I avoid completely, because, well, as a consumer I have so many choices. I might as well choose one that fits with the direction I hope the world goes. Maybe overthinking these morality things is something I'll get over, but at 20 right now I cant help but think now is the time to.

And one more thing: you guys are bringing up a great point that I can still appreciate the music. And to some extent I do. But it haunts me when I send money to places I shouldn't. Like, should I go to her concerts... I don't know. She's not a bad person, so maybe. Everyone has blunders in judgement, but... ugh

Morphine Prince

You have to keep in mind, as you said, we all have our good and bad sides. Her relationship with him was good regardless of his abuse. 

I think he did horrible things but I’m ngl I like plenty of his songs. I’m not going to deny myself what I like, especially over someone who is now deceased. 

You can stan Billie without having to agree on her friendship with a now deceased person. 

ChromeAngel

I agree with everything you said. I don’t really have anything to add because you said it all. I agree with what you said about Lana... I’ve never had anything against drug addicts / use and never thought of these as bad people, unless they’ve specifically hurt someone. I guess I’ve seen the other side of it. Drug addicts have mental issues to work out but underneath they’re just like us. 

Fresco

I was driving to a JLo concert :):applause: yesterday . Minding my own business, listening to local radio, when the DJ airs an interview clip with Billie. 

What is in your tour rider:

A can of beans, a can opener, a microwave, and some of this Perigrin stuff because my mom doesn't let me drink real soft drink like Fanta or Coke." (She sounded a touch angry/irritated)

(I forget if she called it soft drink, soda or pop.)

Archived