musician

Hard to Stan Billie Eilish

PeachJug

Featured Posts

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buddy

You're overthinking it.Ā I think you are too tangled up in cancel culture.

Everyone has at least oneĀ problematic aspect about them.Ā Gaga has had many...

IAmNotHere1997

You're talking as if you're gonna get dragged to hell and back if you stan herĀ :spin:Ā 

If you consider that her support and beliefs or whatever are against yours, don't stan her. It's that simple. Or you can just stick with the music and that's it. I'm a fan of Britney Spears, butĀ that doesn't necessary mean I like her personality, I pretty much only enjoy her discography and performances.

BUtterfield 8

I donā€™t stan ha cause her music is not goodĀ 

but if you like ha music stan ha

beaublue
2 hours ago, Zander said:

You should just listen to her music because you enjoy it and not let whateverĀ the artist'sĀ Ā personal opinions might be affect your listening experience. Primarily we listen to music because we like what we hear not because of what their personal opinions are.Ā 

So if Donald Trump wrote & sang ā€œBad Guyā€ youā€™d listen to it even though heā€™s an actual bad guy? Lmao by listening to someoneā€™s music youā€™re supporting them, so I think OP is in the right mindset.

beaublue
2 hours ago, PeachJug said:

Hey guys, I am having a hard time deciding if I can stan billie.

Preface: I know stan culture can be terrible, but it can also be innocent and fun. I guess what I mean by the term is just that I fall completely in love with an artist/their music/their aesthetic/...everything.

So like, I like her music and her artistry a lot. Her vocals are on point, and lyrically she and her brother are super talented. HOWEVER. And I don't know if this is something that I should even care about... but usually I only stan people who I love AS A PERSON, as a non-problematic celebrity. Someone who at least doesn't support harmful things...

HIM: That being said. Her support of XXXTentacion is still preventing me from wanting to fully support her. If you don't know much about him, he had a history of physical violence and crime, including beating his homosexual prison-mate and pregnant girlfriend.

HER: I've watched everything she's said regarding him, and in no way has she supported his terrible actions. However, she spreads messages that he was a great guy and helped her a lot.

ME: This is where I get conflicted. Even bad people can be good at times, and his help to her seems very deep and important. And sometimes it's ok to appreciate the good side of someone. But is it ok to ignore the dark side? Is it wrong for her to spread support for him (even dedicating/performing songs to commemorate him)? I don't know. Please help me decide.

More thoughts:

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

I also stan Amy Winehouse, who as you probably know had a troublesome history as well with alcohol abuse. The thing is, though, she didn't harm others nor did she try to influence others into that life.

Lana Del Rey sometimes glamorizes domestic violence + other strange things, but none of that escapes her artistry. Nothing but expression of her desires/history/conflict, and nothing more tangible than a dream.

Lady Gaga is a perfect example of someone I can EASILY stan without worry. She has used her music and success for philanthropy to help millions. She avoids drama and is one of the least problematic celebrities. She spreads positivity and works to make the world a better place. The most controversial thing she's done is probably work with R Kelly, which was bad in retrospect but did not in any way send support to his actions (which she likely did not know about, nor did the media for what I know). And she has done so much to correct that + work against sexual assault.

My other stans: Lorde, David Bowie, Marina and the Diamonds, Birdy, Adele, Ingrid Michaelson
Other Pending due to possibly problematic: Grimes, Borns, Billie

Another question: Does anyone else do this kind of digging + intense thinking before buying albums/following on social media/stanning? am i weird :O

Ā 

TLDR: Billie supported XXXTentacion, so I am unsure if I should stan her despite liking her music.

I do this all the time. If I donā€™t agree with an artist or theirĀ beliefs then I donā€™t support them which means I donā€™tĀ streamĀ their music or watchĀ their videos because by doing so they makeĀ money & you end up supporting themĀ & their beliefs as a person. So I think itā€™s great that youā€™re thinking about this stuff. Choose whatever feels right for you.

Zander
12 minutes ago, lovedillon said:

So if Donald Trump wrote & sang ā€œBad Guyā€ youā€™d listen to it even though heā€™s an actual bad guy? Lmao by listening to someoneā€™s music youā€™re supporting them, so I think OP is in the right mindset.

But Trump wouldn't sound like Billie, I like Bad Guy because of her voice...

Ā My point being is thatĀ mostĀ people tend to not delve too deeply into an artist history of opinions on such things. If someone likes how something sounds they'll listen to it - which is the basis of music. An example of this are problematic artists who chart highly on the BB Hot 100.Ā Chris Brown still manages to be popular despite his history of being an abusive and sh*tty person.

Whilst people should care, people don't because they just like theĀ track. People are free to cancel whomever they want by not listening to their music but I'm sure most people wouldn't have anything left to listen to.Ā :shrug:

Economy

She's my second fav and I dont let stuff like this determine anything

Ā 

Gaga is my fav but it's not because of her personality... If it was based on that she wouldn't be my #1

Sneaky Oliver

Baby it should not be that hard. I mean dont you have some problematic friends? Or relatives? Its nothing to worry about. Just listen to her music and stop the dramaĀ 

Iā€™m on my Legacy Act era

PeachJug

Your guys' honest opinions are very helpful, both sides. Thank you so much.

Ā 

One more thing to elaborate on: I 100% agree that cancel culture is toxic. When I say I wouldn't Stan, I definitely DON'T mean for it to follow that they are "cancelled" to me. Nor do I follow any of thoseĀ Twitter trends of hating on people. Like I said, standing for me is just a personal thing : who I look to, follow, support, and send money.

Ā 

And to those who say I should separate music from person: I think you make great points, but idk. It doesn't feel realistic for me. There is SO MUCH great music out there that internally I always look for more and filter out in other ways, (again like chic fil a)

PeachJug

ALSO: I in no way mean to denounceĀ Billie. She didn't ask to be looked up to for her personal Ā choices. She's here to share her music.

But I know we've all been in this position before, and since we have so much freedom of choice, SHOULD we make these hard decisions? Think Kanye... Some say his music is genius, but many of us here can't even give it a chance bc of him. (Idk if that's the best example but you know what I mean)

Ā 

I'm a messĀ 

bloody g

She is a teenager. Maybe when she is older she'll see it differently. Give her time.

怎šŸššš­šž šœššš§š§šØš­ š›šž šœš”ššš§š šžšć€

gumzy3000

You are overthinking this. Just relax. There isn't a "Stan" certificate or anything like that and you are not locked into that position for lifeĀ :lmao:

trolly troll troll

Archived