Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga not influenced by Madonna

Nino

Featured Posts

I was writing a response to another tired Madonna vs Gaga argument and I thought I should spin this opinion off into a thread to see what you guys think:

I genuinely don't think Gaga has ever been much inspired by Madonna. Born This Way and Perfect Illusion both sounded similar to Madonna songs at points, but I think that says more about their ability to perfectly engineer basic pop songs for the lowest common denominator of music audiences than it does any similarity on an artistic level. Perfect Illusion in particular got a lot of hate from Madonna fans for sounding similar to Papa Don't Preach upon it's release when it wasn't even written by Gaga herself. I think it's the only song in her career that she doesn't have the lead credit for. :air:  Her publicity stunts and costumes used to be similar to Madonna, but those stopped with Dada and Nico stopped working with her respectively. Looking back, I think it's fair to say that it wasn't her at all. The less she listens to what the industry wants out of her, the further she's distancing herself from being Madonna 2.0. Joanne and ASIB legitimately sound nothing like Madonna at all. Neither did any of the marketing moves or costumes she tried to promote them with resemble Madonna.

Look at Gaga's solo-written tracks like Speechless, Just Another Day, and You and I, they sound extremely similar to Elton and Queen, and notably nothing like anything Madonna's ever released, which with the amount of ground Madonna's covered and the standards she's set in the pop genre, you have to VERY different to not be similar to her. :sure:

What do y'all think?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dynamite

I don't hear any of Madonna in Perfect Illusion, what song(s) should I be comparing it to? 

I hear it in Born This Way but that is one song out of her entire discography

Melech

Girl, Madonna is THE female popstar. Every female popstar after her is influenced by Madonna. She paved the way for them and it’s no shame to admit that. 

Just now, Melech said:

Girl, Madonna is THE female popstar. Every female popstar after her is influenced by Madonna. She paved the way for them and it’s no shame to admit that. 

Did you even read the entire op? It talks about the comparisons people make and explains that it wasn't her making those choices, that's kind of the entire point of this thread. :awkney: 

3 minutes ago, dynamite said:

I don't hear any of Madonna in Perfect Illusion, what song(s) should I be comparing it to? 

I hear it in Born This Way but that is one song out of her entire discography

Gaga didn't write it anyway so assuming it wasn't an accident, she wasn't personally influenced anyway  :ohwell:

AlexDelarge

even her visual is not much inspired by madonna. 

grace jones is the real major female influencer to gaga.

dynamite
2 minutes ago, Nino said:

Gaga didn't write it anyway so assuming it wasn't an accident, she wasn't personally influenced anyway  :ohwell:

I'm really struggling to hear it :laughga:

Biden Harris 2024

She says herself that Madonna was one of her big influences. I'm not so sure that transfers over musically (except for BTW, it's obvious) but other than that I don't hear much Madonna in her songs. I do think she took alot from Madonna in terms of fame and controversy. She took that playbook and did it better. It helps that Gaga is supremely talented. I don't think it's a big deal if one influences the other :queenga:

KatieJudasGaga4
7 minutes ago, Nino said:

I think it's the only song in her career that she doesn't have the lead credit for.

No, she doesn't have the lead credit for Come to Mama, Perfect Illusion and Til it Happens To You. She is still the co-writer, just not the main one.

melon

I think it’s more the way she carries herself as a Pop Superstar, her emphasis on powerful visuals with a message and being outspoken that is influenced directly by Madonna

her sense of herself in music and her place is very much inspired more by Bowie though and she has made that very clear from the start (lightning bolt)

heauxmatica

4 minutes ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

No, she doesn't have the lead credit for Come to Mama, Perfect Illusion and Til it Happens To You. She is still the co-writer, just not the main one.

I totally forgot she didn't write CTM since it sounds so much like her :air: I also forgot TIHTY existed. I'm such a fake fan :lmao: 

5 minutes ago, dynamite said:

I'm really struggling to hear it :laughga:

Me too but the Madonna stans LOVE to post it like she re-released Vogue and took full credit :emma: 

sipthistea

Of course she is. Gaga was inspired by strong women, and Madonna happens to be one of them. 

But some people just took it out of proportion and started to shout "Madonna" every single time something resembled  to Madonna's work, which is stupid because music always resembles to something created before. We as human beings work like that, we imitate and create new things.

That's the way it works. It's quite absurd to believe something is completely new and original, because it's not. 

1 minute ago, sipthistea said:

That's the way it works. It's quite absurd to believe something is completely new and original, because it's not. 

I never said she's completely original. I'm starting to think like 3 people actually read this thread before replying :messga:

• CyanLights locked this topic

Archived