💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga not influenced by Madonna

Nino

Featured Posts

HotLikeMexico
3 minutes ago, Marjol said:

This.  However I do feel Gaga is more influenced by other popstars and bands than she is by Madonna.

I see a lot more Freddy Mercury, Elton John, Cyndi Lauper, David Bowie, Whitney Houston and a whole lof of Bruce Springsteen (songs like Gypsy and the way she performs live) in her. Even Tori Amos because of the way she plays the piano so expressively.

missing+p.jpg

Not to mention the stylistic influence of Dale Bozzio(above), Grace Jones, Cher and the theatrics of bands like Kiss and Pink Floyd ( The monster ball angler fish) and Michael Jackson (storytelling music video's + the Love game MV is basically a tribute to MJ's Bad MV)

d575a83bceee1a0ead64a132d2114704.gif

Gaga is a sponge for pop culture just like Madonna was a sponge for 30's 40's and 50s movie stars like Marlene Dietrich and Marilyn Monroe and lots of her videos are directly influenced and referring movie scenes, some very obviously like Material Girl or Express yourself, some less obvious like The Power of Goodbye. 

Yes yes yes yes yes! I totally forgot about Dale Bozzio. She even had some sweet things to say about Gaga.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HotLikeMexico said:

Yes yes yes yes yes! I totally forgot about Dale Bozzio. She even had some sweet things to say about Gaga.

The people who Gaga seems more directly influenced by always have incredibly sweet things to say about her. :wub:

Schwerk
10 minutes ago, RoverLoader said:

I think if you genuinely believe this, you are very much in denial. Madonna wrote the book and Gaga revised and read it every night. Her career, especially earlier on was textbook inspired, influenced, paid homage to and mirrored Madonna as close as it's ever possible to.

That part I disagree on. Early on Gaga was very focused on letting everyone know and see she was a musician, playing acoustic renditions of her songs everywhere she went. She also acted a lot like Bowie in interviews and looked a lot like Grace Jones very early on. The only Madonna influece I felt was her fighting to be taken seriously as a female  expressing her sexuality and power and her theatrical performance was partly influenced by Madonna. But never did she mirror Madonna as much as you imply, at least that is what I believe.

To me it's more little nods like Madonna on the Cannes red carpet in 1992 vs Gaga at the MET gala 2019 or Born this way being an anthem similar to Express Yourself and The video for Alejandro revoking the Express yourself video.

There are moments, but the core of Gaga and how she expressed herself, even from the start, to me had waaaaay more similarities to other artist than Madonna. Doesn't mean Madonna didn't have some influence, just not as much as others.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

LordEnigma
2 hours ago, Nino said:

Gaga didn't write it anyway so assuming it wasn't an accident, she wasn't personally influenced anyway  :ohwell:

I mean yes it has similar structure but such a reach to think she took Papa Dont Preach and decided to tweak it and make it her own :ladyhaha:

Illuminati Freak

I see another thread referencing the Madame X impact on Madonnadaily. Ya'll are obsessed.:fan:

16 minutes ago, Illuminati Freak said:

I see another thread referencing the Madame X impact on Madonnadaily. Ya'll are obsessed.:fan:

we- 

I'm a huge madonna fan, I just don't think the music that Gaga herself makes has anything to do with Madonna. This comment reeks of insecurity. Embarrassed for u.

Ziggy

I think she’s influenced by Madonna in as much as she’s influenced by pop culture in general. She’s taken a lot from the general zeitgeist and rolled with it. I do think that in terms of performance and artistry, though, they’re quite different. I’m not slamming Madonna in saying that, just pointing out that I think Gaga gets most of her performance style from classic rock, metal, Elton John, Springsteen, etc. Musically she eschews more towards Madonna but I think that only really applies on TF (at times) and TFM (often). After those two albums, I don’t really see where they musically cross paths aside from the occasional track like Scheiße or BTW. By and large, though, I find them musically pretty distinct. Gaga’s instrumentals are very typically overstuffed, something much more in-line with metal and hair bands than Madonna’s brand of pop which is pretty clean and slick.

The Child
3 hours ago, AlexDelarge said:

even her visual is not much inspired by madonna. 

grace jones is the real major female influencer to gaga.

I totally understand why Grace Jones was pissed at Gaga.

1 hour ago, Faysalaaa said:

Every big pop star was forced to say they inspiration is Madonna. Same with Britney Spears who is nothing like Madonna and her real inspiration is Janet. But the truth is every female artist is inspired by Madonna weather they know it or not and I dont even like Madonna.

Thanks a lot for saying this! Janet was/is Britney’s main inspiration, She would have been so much better on Me Against The Music than Madonna.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Biden Harris 2024

Oh I wanted to add that I see alot of Hazel O'connor in Gaga's work especially ARTPOP. When she sings "I stand here waiting for you to bang the gong." Classic Hazel style. But it doesn't stop at music, the look, the attitude, the edge. I can see some Enigma too.

The13thNote

I mean I wish I could agree,  but in the jacket of her first album she literally credits she owes her career to David Bowie, Prince, Madonna, and Chanel. 

Argument over. 

beaublue

Oh girl... please do not bring in the “lowest common denominator” expression. First off, Born This Way & Perfect Illusion are the farthest from that & I’ll even go as far as saying Express Yourself & Papa Don’t Preach are the same. As much as I don’t like Madonna or her fans, Gaga herself has said Madonna was an influence so this entire argument is legit useless lmfao not to mention kind of offensive.

FameHookah

But she even thanked her in The Fame booklet :toofunny: even if i dont like Madonna its Delusional to deny her influence on gaga..

Gaga is every icon (and sometimes even better than the ogs)

WTF is MDNA

Lord Temptation

Influenced by? Obviously :messga:

Inspired by? Hell no :triggered:

:ally:

Didymus

Do none of y'all read or listen to her interviews? :lmao: When she debuted in 2008 she continuously listed Madonna as as big an inspiration to her as BOWIE, come on.  She only stopped mentioning her when people became obsessed with comparing everything she did to Madge.

And she always said that Madonna inspired her, along with Michael, when it comes to visuals like fashion, tours and esp. music video's, not music :messga: So I can't at fans thinking they're being smart by distinguishing that for themselves, it's literally what Gaga said multiple times herself.

Anyone who knows Madonna's career sees its influence on Gaga, and every other pop star, clearly. You don't have to like the woman but good god, questioning her impact on the next generations of pop stars is like saying Christianity was just a superstition that didn't leave a mark on history :air: Its mark is everywhere, and so is Madonna's.

• CyanLights locked this topic

Archived