💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
sales

Are billboards numbers legit

Louvre

Featured Posts

Im making this thread bc Im genuinely so confused rn.

So in a billboard article from last February that updated gaga's US sales, it said that bad romance sold 5.9 million copies, I thought that was strange considering the fact that we know bad romance has sold 10 million copies in the US so I was like hmm, the other 4.1 million units must come from streaming, right? The article said that Bad romance had 395 million streams in the US, but when those 395 million streams are converted into sales units (By dividing the streams by 150. every 150 streams for a song = 1 unit sold) it only equals 2,633,333 million copies sold, not the 4.1 million it needs to add up to 10 million sales.

So im confused. Am I doing the calculations wrong or is something messed up with billboards numbers? Bad romance has been diamond since 2015 so I must be missing something. Anyone know whats going on?

heres the article: https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8497475/lady-gaga-sales-streams-ariana-grande-ask-billboard

Curunir

You know I've thought about this too before but I can't really find an explanation :spin:

Maleficent
10 minutes ago, Louvre said:

every 150 streams for a song = 1 unit sold

i'm just mainly shook my this. this seems like an absurdly high number--who decides this? 

Gypsy Life

Those streaming numbers are "on-demand". They don't include YouTube.

Billboard, however, are very inconsistent when it comes to separating on-demand streams and overall streams in their articles.

You should also remember that Pandora for example counts for Billboard, and they get halved for charts, but not to RIAA certifications at all. It's all very confusing.

JR Gg

The streams to sale conversion rate was different when it was first introduced. Gaga benefitted from that. :vegas: 

FATCAT

Stream conversions are grandfathered in, some of the streams are not in that figure, once you add up all the small things not listed its equivalent

Purr more, hiss less.

LilyLark

Multiple times they've changed how streams count, etc. It's "legit" but one has to keep in mind that they way they calculate sales with streams is fluctuating all the time.

Judas Society

I kinda stopped caring about Billboard these days since streaming started. The positioning doesn't seem believable since then.

Economy

Bad Romance sold 12 Million WW I think it was

No way it sold 10M in the US alone

Her biggest selling single in US was Poker Face which a little over 6M

Just Dance also crossed the 6M mark by a smaller amount than Poker Face

Economy
5 minutes ago, Judas Society said:

I kinda stopped caring about Billboard these days since streaming started. The positioning doesn't seem believable since then.

Streams are more accurate for charts than sales tbh

Economy
34 minutes ago, Boyboi12 said:

Riaa said bad romance is diamond

But that's globally I don't think it was for the US

Im almost sure she only had 2 singles surpass the 6M mark in the US and it was Poker Face and Just Dance

LateToCult
8 minutes ago, Economy said:

Im almost sure she only had 2 singles surpass the 6M mark in the US and it was Poker Face and Just Dance

RIAA only keeps track of US units no? Am I reading your comment wrong?  :huh:

11 minutes ago, Economy said:

RIAA is only for the US, so she has sold 10 million pure+units from streaming in the US, its a crazy number tbh

edit: Someone above me sumitted the same thing before I did lol

gabeoz
10 minutes ago, Economy said:

Unless im wrong, RIAA does not do global certifications, they're only done in the US. 

Archived