Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Looking Back: DWUW and R.Kelly

TheRealJT

Featured Posts

Fresco

There are some lines in the song appropriate to her current situation, and I hope she stays strong throughout the tabloid rocket stories. "But then you print some sh!t that makes me want to scream."

Anyway ... R Kelly has 11 new recent charges filed against him. It was the right thing to do to remove the song.   It was about sex, and he is accused of sex crimes, aggravated criminal sexual assault, and aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

Battle 4 Ur Life

it is a well produced song. one of her best.

that being said I actually disagree and don't miss it any much. she was right for doing that. had she not it would be haunting her till this day. it would always come up and tarnish her rep.

and I do believe she genuinely wasn't thinking about herself when making this move. she was also thinking about the ones who were abused.

I too have the physical ARTPOP disc and I always skip it. it's definitely a no for me now.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

TheRealJT
19 minutes ago, ProjectJoanne said:

No hate from us, it's still a great song :pawsup:

I kind of feel bad for DJWS. He sat on that amazing beat for 2 years. And then when he finally used it, it was for a song that was doomed to be deleted and forgotten by history.

In 20 years, when people look back at Gaga’s career, I think they will forget about ARTPOP and never bring it up. They’ll go straight from the breaking her hip at the Born This Way ball to Cheek to Cheek. 

Fresco
18 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

I kind of feel bad for DJWS. He sat on that amazing beat for 2 years. And then when he finally used it, it was for a song that was doomed to be deleted and forgotten by history.

In 20 years, when people look back at Gaga’s career, I think they will forget about ARTPOP and never bring it up. They’ll go straight from the breaking her hip at the Born This Way ball to Cheek to Cheek. 

DJWS was involved with 9 other songs on ARTPOP.  I don't feel sorry for DJWS.

I feel sorry for the women that R Kelly is accused of abusing. 

• Admin changed the title to Looking Back: DWUW and R.Kelly
LilyLark

No. It was a huge f*ck up on Gaga's part. Terry (ugh) liked to play with common tropes: naughty nurse and doctor, cop, etc. so while I don't doubt the video was probably explicit it probably isn't quite as horrible as the fans and media speculated. Nevertheless, it should never see the light of day and fans posting the song or clips from the video on twitter or youtube need to stop. The best thing to do would be for LM to just let it die and never bring it up on twitter and youtube again.

I will say two small things in Gaga's defense even though I always though it was a huge mistake on her part. People are rewriting history a bit: after R. Kelly was acquitted the first time, there was a big part of the public that went "oh, he's a creep but not a r*pist and was the victim of an over zealous prosecutor out to get a successful Black man." Girls recanted, Aaliyah herself had always denied the relationship before her death and at the time her family still did, etc. He was still being invited to headline festivals and sit in the front row of big music shows and worked with other A list musicians AFTER he worked with Gaga. Gaga probably pulled the video because Terry was exposed right around the time as a creep, no because everyone in the public was condemning R. Kelly because at the time he was still fairly normalized.

So the fact that Gaga became the "face" was ridiculous—she f*cked up majorly but people (including a lot of the media) tried to shovel blame from themselves  by focusing on someone else...in this  caseGaga. Same thing happened with people who worked with Woody Allen, etc.  Lastly, I sincerely think she was f*cked up emotionally and on drugs during that time period and I think part of her team was part of the problem. Once Troy and some other people left and Bobby came on, within several months she seemed more sober and dropped R. Kelly and Terry.

TLDR: there's an argument to separate the art from the artist, but no, in this case I think Gaga absolutely made the right choice in dropping it.

PutUrPawsUp

I think deleting Dwuw RKelly version the gesture itself is also part of Gaga's ARTPOP culture. :bye: That's why I love her ARTPOP so much.

McYves

I personally think that people SHOULD separate the art from the artist. I do and I still love the R. Kelly version, I mean, it's a very good song! 

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch, just drink my ****ing coffee and watch 90's cartoons and hush

Archived