Apple Music
society

Fewer U.S. Babies Were Born in 2018 Than in Any Year Since 1986

Featured Posts

Woolfsmck
1 minute ago, Economy said:

Cuz the big group baby boomers are only gonna start dying now

Babies will add to population even if it's just a few if the oldest people are not dying faster than the new borns

K..good point..

Mortality rate is dropping due to medical advances balancing "that" segment of the population 

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true
  • Like 1

Economy
49 minutes ago, Shipper said:

This is bad news because we need babies now to balance the population and to offset the decline of the babyboomers.  

Right now, baby boomers are the most numerous age group in the US. Either we need more babies or we let more immigrants in. By mid century, the 76 million baby boomers we have now will go down to 16 million.

The country needs to be populated to run. Look at Japan. Because of their low birth rates and dislikes of immigration, their population is decreasing and strongly shifting to more older people than younger people. They try to offset this by hiring migrant workers (who finds it difficult to become a permanent resident in the country) and improving their manufacturing industry by replacing humans with robots.

Declining population has big economic impacts 

We could offset most of that damage of lower birth rates and aging population (not to mention longer life expectancy) by raising retirement age

But ppl are so against it. They use the argument "people deserve to enjoy their last year's"

Yeah they deserve it but deserving or not isn't the issue at hand... The problem is there regardless of how u feel about it and u can't just do nothing

Economy
Just now, Woolfsmck said:

K..good point..

Mortality rate is dropping due to medical advances balancing "that" segment of the population 

Yeah. But it won't forever

So this low birth rate impact on population will eventually be felt even if it's not immediate

If the birth rate isn't high enough to replace old population then you will feel it in demographics eventually

It's just a matter of when does the old group die

ImTired
11 hours ago, LeoFameMonster said:

who can blame them, look at the president and the social climate of America lol. who wants to raise a child in that mess.

I have refused paid for trips to the states soly on principle. not supporting any country than would elect a homophobic, womanizer, racist, uneducated leader for the free world. 

but hey the real reason might be that those women might not want to get grapped in the *** when their pregnancy lol might be uncomfortable

He did lose by 4 million votes, but....pop off I guess?

Shipper
Just now, Economy said:

Declining population has big economic impacts 

We could offset most of that damage of lower birth rates and aging population (not to mention longer life expectancy) by raising retirement age

But ppl are so against it. They use the argument "people deserve to enjoy their last year's" 

Yeah they deserve it but deserving or not isn't the issue at hand... The problem is there regardless of how u feel about it and u can't just do nothing 

Honestly, I'm against raising retirement age in certain fields because accuracy in the work place just declines. It's okay if they raise the retirement age I guess in retail or even those who work in low risk office jobs.

I just dont want them to raise retirement age in the medical field  or other high risk jobs just because older doctors (60-70) who continue to do surgeries have a much a much higher rate of misdiagnoses and deaths in surgeries than their younger counterparts.

There was an article that came out in Ny times about one specific case and they investigated why the pediatric surgery in one hospital just have so many deaths and misdiagnoses. It turns out the head surgeon was supposed to retire but was not retiring. :saladga: Now he retired and the whole department was significantly better in patient survival and outcome.

Call me being ageist but it is only natural for older people to have shaky hands and poorer eyesight and they better be out of the surgery room when this happens.

Box me up

Economy
1 hour ago, Shipper said:

Honestly, I'm against raising retirement age in certain fields because accuracy in the work place just declines. It's okay if they raise the retirement age I guess in retail or even those who work in low risk office jobs.

I just dont want them to raise retirement age in the medical field  or other high risk jobs just because older doctors (60-70) who continue to do surgeries have a much a much higher rate of misdiagnoses and deaths in surgeries than their younger counterparts.

There was an article that came out in Ny times about one specific case and they investigated why the pediatric surgery in one hospital just have so many deaths and misdiagnoses. It turns out the head surgeon was supposed to retire but was not retiring. :saladga: Now he retired and the whole department was significantly better in patient survival and outcome.

Call me being ageist but it is only natural for older people to have shaky hands and poorer eyesight and they better be out of the surgery room when this happens.

Im generalizing. There's fields that could be exempt from the increase (just like teachers here in Canada can retire early if they been in the field at least 30 years)

I'd say blue collar jobs that are more physically demanding could also be exempt from an increase

But overall the 65 retirement that has been the standard for so long just isn't realistic anymore. Birth rates have dropped, life expectancies have increase and the population is much older now

I know it sounds harsh but the system wasn't designed to sustain this. It needs to be reformed!

Economically at least higher productivity from technology can help offset lost productivity of fewer people working

But on the financial side of it, technology won't fix that

• Like 1

TimisaMonster
5 hours ago, Born To Slay said:

Millennials don’t have sex?

Yup...surveys have shown they are having less sex than people in their 40s or 50s lol

They contribute it to social media, sexting, p0rn, and many living with their parents still...

LeoFameMonster
5 hours ago, ImTired said:

He did lose by 4 million votes, but....pop off I guess?

lol he lost?! so whose president lmao

I mean if I popped off maybe that's what u guys should be doing. a little more popping off and less what ever you guys are doing 

Edited by LeoFameMonster
  • Sad 1

Nikolai Barrow
16 hours ago, gypsy101 said:

the world actually isn’t anywhere close to overpopulated

Yes it is. 7 billion people is taking a huge toll on the planet.