Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Megarate: Flaming Red (Patty Griffin)

rumours

Featured Posts

rumours

Hi Everyone! :heart:

It's time for another one of my niche megarates here on GGD :poot:...

The album chosen for this megarate is Flaming Red by Patty Griffin.

61BtDyPQmFL._SX522_.jpg

After doing a couple of more pop albums, I realized it had been a while since we did an album that had more rock elements. After releasing the critically-acclaimed, acoustic debut album "Living With Ghosts" in 1996, Griffin finally overcame her insecurities in regards to leading a band. Flaming Red (1998), while a critical darling, was not met with the commercial reception her label was hoping for. With less than 100,000 copies sold within 12 months of release, Griffin was dropped from her label (A&M). As of 2004, the album had accumulated just over 120,000 copies sold, which is about half of what her folk debut sold.

Flaming Red not only was a genre shift (albeit it temporary) but also features notable musicians; more specifically, acclaimed drummer Kenny Aronoff plays on 10 of the tracks and Grammy-winner Emmylou Harris provides harmonies on some of the tracks. While Griffin would return to contemporary folk in her subsequent release (1000 Kisses), this record has gained a cult following over the years for its sound and lyrical content.

Ranked at #146 on NPR's "The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women" tally in 2017, Katie Presley states, "Her stance and sound have both mellowed since 1998, but Flaming Red remains a testament to the fire simmering under all of her work preceding this album, and what came after it... While many artists use an "unplugged" approach to get to the heart of their sound, at this early point in her lengthy and varied career, Griffin plugged in to find hers."

Genre: Rock, Americana, Atmospheric Folk

:heart:I know there have been megarates being released left and right recently, so I hope you all will give the album a chance! :heart:

patty-griffin.jpeg?_v=20160612194756&w=1

Tracklist:

Spoiler

1. Flaming Red

2. One Big Love

3. Tony

4. Change

5. Goodbye

6. Carry Me

7. Christina

8. Wiggley Fingers

9. Blue Sky

10. Big Daddy

11. Go Now

12. Mary

13. Peter Pan

In general, here are the Criteria for participating in the Megarate:

1) Re-listen to album

2) Rate each track on a scale of 1-10 and your favorite an 11 (if you'd like). Feel free to add commentary to explain your ratings if you'd like!

3) 0's are not allowed.

4) Feel free to use decimals in the values of .25, .5, or .75

5) Please don't participate if you didn't listen to the album or if you hate it without reason. Any ratings that demonstrate this will be erased from the calculations.

6) PM me your ratings (send to @rumours).

maxresdefault.jpg

If you aren't tagged below, feel free to join in! Moreover, if you know of anyone else who may be interested, feel free to tag them. :kara:

Due Date for Ratings: June 22 (this could change)

Date/Time for Ceremony: TBD

How to Listen to the Album (Spotify):

Spoiler

How to Listen to the Album (YouTube):

Spoiler

People Who May Be Interested:

Spoiler

@GagaInTheZone @FinnishGypsy @LADYGAGASHOOCK @The Louvre @Oriane @loathereality @PerfectCure @calmar @sethrb101 @andrew23 @KinneyUnderYou @Live4TheARTPOP @That J @maxblac @StarryNight @PerfectGUY @Smother Em Eh @ARTPOPSTER @Modern Ecstacy @highongaga @datlastfam @Punktious @ARPiT @lucca @Sherlock112 @DaftFameMonster @Lonely Lolita @badgirlmeat @lost in limbo@mister max @Kween@blackcoffee @JGD @Jeroen Bloeming@AlexKing4 @PrincessVenus @Blue Madonna @raginchristians  @warholagaga @Marges9 @Trepadation @AlejandroooO @HorusRa2 @Davian @NNES@HosedDownGypsy @TopazBlue @DiamondKing @Lazz Monster @CautiousLurker @Luv u Sum @Jorget @AndrewMac95 @Alex Spade @Oscar Snatcher @Widows Kiss @KatieJudasGaga4 @slayo @Possibly Maybe @WarriorPhoenix @GagaSkeletonWay @TeenIdle @SamanthaC @maxmore @Donna Noble @theadamcreator

@calmar@datlastfam @EvilRegal @MarlonBrando7@warholagaga@The Louvre@Jus @DaftFameMonster @ARPiT @ThaFame @Danny Milk @GovHooker @kihlophix@Punktious @Ronk @SolidSnake@PunkTheFunk @GypsyBabe @KyliesChild @Oriane @GypsyHeartGaga@BBhomemaker @highongaga @kvnrp @Rocketno10 @raginchristians  @TEAWHORE @Jeroen Bloeming @Acsnpdx8 @robbiemalik @tomsches @Captain Templea@memomemome@slayo@that juju @Edge of Fame @fayecuntaway @The Bling@blackcoffee @Kandy life @Aubbie @badgirlmeat @That J @ssslyboy@gabrielflorin01@ryanripley @Noah @TheShameMonster @kihlophix @GaGaSwift @kyanewest @Disco Chapel @Ninten Ann @Chic @ARealWildMan @Widows Kiss @TeenIdle @Pantera @Dutch @Phoebe Buffay @Queen of Venus

@GagaInTheZone @FinnishGypsy @LADYGAGASHOOCK @GypsyBabe @The Louvre @Oriane @loathereality @PerfectCure @calmar @sethrb101 @andrew23 @KinneyUnderYou @Live4TheARTPOP @That J @maxblac @StarryNight @PerfectGUY @Smother Em Eh @ARTPOPSTER @Modern Ecstacy @highongaga @datlastfam @Punktious @ARPiT @lucca @Sherlock112 @DaftFameMonster @teawhore @Lonely Lolita @badgirlmeat @lost in limbo@Gagalderone @mister max @Kween@blackcoffee @JGD @Jeroen Bloeming @radioactive @AlexKing4 @PrincessVenus @Blue Madonna @raginchristians  @warholagaga @Marges9 @Trepadation @AlejandroooO @HorusRa2 @Kimmo @Davian @Lazz Monster @corvus albus @DelusionalGaga @NNES @LaLuna @Maleficent @OG Gaga Stan

Participants from Ben Platt Rate:

Please comment below if you'd like to be added to the tag list for this megarate :hug:

Participants:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rumours
4 minutes ago, Donna Noble said:

VIP list :fan: I'm in!

A small but mighty group 

europa league cfc GIF by Chelsea FC

Donna Noble
Just now, rumours said:

A small but mighty group 

europa league cfc GIF by Chelsea FC

Well looks like it's just me and you rumours... :poot: A slightly smaller megarate

Government Hooker-eh

rumours
7 minutes ago, Donna Noble said:

Well looks like it's just me and you rumours... :poot: A slightly smaller megarate

awkwardsmallgroup.jpg

Donna Noble
2 minutes ago, rumours said:

awkwardsmallgroup.jpg

tumblr_ocg91a02kp1rt5cvco2_400-2210.jpg?

Patty Griffin releasing Flaming red

Government Hooker-eh

rumours
8 minutes ago, Donna Noble said:

tumblr_ocg91a02kp1rt5cvco2_400-2210.jpg?

Patty Griffin releasing Flaming red

fullsizeoutput-101.jpg

SharkmanthaC

I don’t know the album but I’ll give it a try. 

Spoiler

I’ll probably also need like 10 reminders.

she/her/hers

rumours
6 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

Hide contents

Yay, glad to have you back my friend :heart:

And I'll be sure to send out reminders :hug:

15 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

Reveal hidden contents

same!! 

rumours
44 minutes ago, Blue Madonna said:

same!! 

Glad to see ya here. I hope you like the album :hug:

loathereality

yasss i always enjoy these megarates maybe someday ill do one

rumours
11 minutes ago, loathereality said:

yasss i always enjoy these megarates maybe someday ill do one

I’m glad you enjoy doing these. It’s always great to have you here :heart:

Davian

I’m sorry but it looks like I have to miss this one... The album is not available in my country. Not on Spotify nor Apple Music:oops:

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

Archived