💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why do rappers get a free pass?

Musicisfreedom

Featured Posts

SKANK
2 minutes ago, Musicisfreedom said:

Maybe not, but really should that be anyone's responsibility? To be a role model? Nobody is perfect. I just think we shouldn't promote one artist for doing one thing, and attack others for the doing the same thing. It's not fair. 

Yeah, I guess I just disagree. I don't think holding different public figures to different standards is unfair.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Musicisfreedom
6 minutes ago, SKANK said:

Yeah, I guess I just disagree. I don't think holding different public figures to different standards is unfair.

I respect your opinion anyway, even if I don't agree :pawsup: have a good day/night

Bitch I'm Madonna

Ryusei

Cause their fans are as trashy as they are so they think it‘s normal and dont see anything wrong and without any uproar the media wont pick it up so they‘re getting a free pass cause it‘s „normal“ (obv. A generalization but if it doesnt apply to you dont feel offended...)

Musery

Nirvana
6 hours ago, Musicisfreedom said:

So, I've been listening to Maluma a lot lately (thanks to Madonna), and I read about his big controversy about his song Cuatro Babys, and how everyone labeled him a sexist and tried to get the song removed. And while I agree that it's problematic, it made me wonder why rappers don't normally get this kind of treatment? Eminem uses derogatory language towards both women and lgbt people, and G-Eazy has a lot of sexist lyrics. Lil Pump(I think?) And 6ix9ine say the N word and are not black. Almost all male rap I've listened to is problematic. And they are constantly doing bad things, or associating with people who do. 

Look at Gaga, how she was so pressured to talk about R. Kelly. Or how Madonna is criticized for literally everything. Or in the case of Maluma, he has songs that empower women and LGBT people, and is a very respectable person generally. But yet rappers get a free pass and can be the sh*ttiest people.

It's really odd to me. I don't get it. What are your thoughts on this?

In the case of Eminem, you need to remember how times were different back then, no social media/twitter to spread the news etc. He was protested against, that I do remember and people have been trying to cancel him even then :air: But yeah he did all on shock value, as alter ego "Slim Shady", not saying it made it much better but yeah. As seen he has somehow toned it down though, and said in an interview he regrets using f-word about Tyler the Creator in one of the songs in his album. So I think the tides could be changing? But the stuff you mentioned is a problem, tho I do see some of it even in some of my favourite rock songs too when taken closer look so, it's more in the society as a whole as reflecting in culture..

What are the Maluma songs that empower women/LGTB? I'm curious, been listening to a few of his songs for a summer feel. :nick:

Musicisfreedom
19 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

In the case of Eminem, you need to remember how times were different back then, no social media/twitter to spread the news etc. He was protested against, that I do remember and people have been trying to cancel him even then :air: But yeah he did all on shock value, as alter ego "Slim Shady", not saying it made it much better but yeah. As seen he has somehow toned it down though, and said in an interview he regrets using f-word about Tyler the Creator in one of the songs in his album. So I think the tides could be changing? But the stuff you mentioned is a problem, tho I do see some of it even in some of my favourite rock songs too when taken closer look so, it's more in the society as a whole as reflecting in culture..

What are the Maluma songs that empower women/LGTB? I'm curious, been listening to a few of his songs for a summer feel. :nick:

Im also a believer in change, so if Eminem does change his ways and is truly regretful of his past mistakes I can forgive it.

As for Maluma,it was a remix he did with Becky G and Anitta, to his song Mala Mía where they kinda flipped the meaning, from what I understand. Also, Soltera with Madonna is about her being a single woman, who is a boss. I think by the he means, she doesn't need a man to run her sh*t. I  haven't read the translations of many of his songs, but HP seems to be about a girl getting revenge on a guy who mistreated her. But in interviews he is always very warm and kind. He just gives me a good vibe. I'll have to get back to you with more when I dig deeper into his music, if there are any. 

Bitch I'm Madonna

Hanavel

'Cuz they are white straight and rich men, that's  why they  keep doing well in the industry... Men in the labels protect these men in music; meanwhile, women are pieces of meat who must do their faces to stay 'pretty' but overall  'YOUNG' and if they look old, they are useless  because nobody likes old people but '''''young and skinny legends'''''''''

SlaeUrAnus
6 hours ago, androiduser said:

because aggressive lyrics and bashing is part of the rap genre, it's literally the DNA of rap... just like heavy metal gets a free pass with the occult themes, Satan references etc.

Basically this.

In my messy era.

Musicisfreedom
6 minutes ago, SlaeUrAnus said:

Basically this.

Heavy Metal's use of satanic/occult aesthetic is completely incomparable. It hurts no one. And it doesn't matter if it's in raps DNA to preach violence and hate against oppressed people. If that's the case, rap has no place in 2019 mainstream  

Bitch I'm Madonna

SlaeUrAnus
3 minutes ago, Musicisfreedom said:

Heavy Metal's use of satanic/occult aesthetic is completely incomparable. It hurts no one. And it doesn't matter if it's in raps DNA to preach violence and hate against oppressed people. If that's the case, rap has no place in 2019 mainstream  

I understand and I’m not comparing it or find it acceptable.

I’m saying this is themes what people associate music genres with.

In my messy era.

Musicisfreedom
3 minutes ago, SlaeUrAnus said:

I understand and I’m not comparing it or find it acceptable.

I’m saying this is themes what people associate music genres with.

OK my bad. I misunderstood. :hug:

Bitch I'm Madonna

ltlmnstr

I don't really know but I remember Eminem getting dragged for saying the homophobic f-slur after his whole stunt with Elton John as a symbol of rap doesn't need to be homophobic back in 90's or whatever time.

Taylucifer
6 hours ago, Musicisfreedom said:

Doesn't Maluma have one..?:poot:

:reductive:

1989 (TV) is out NOW

Taylucifer

Because their demographic are kinda dumb and don't pay attention to what they are doing. Nobody else cares enough to hold them accountable for their actions even though when a female is 'problematic' everyone suddenly is able drag her through the mud.

1989 (TV) is out NOW

Nirvana
5 hours ago, Musicisfreedom said:

Im also a believer in change, so if Eminem does change his ways and is truly regretful of his past mistakes I can forgive it.

As for Maluma,it was a remix he did with Becky G and Anitta, to his song Mala Mía where they kinda flipped the meaning, from what I understand. Also, Soltera with Madonna is about her being a single woman, who is a boss. I think by the he means, she doesn't need a man to run her sh*t. I  haven't read the translations of many of his songs, but HP seems to be about a girl getting revenge on a guy who mistreated her. But in interviews he is always very warm and kind. He just gives me a good vibe. I'll have to get back to you with more when I dig deeper into his music, if there are any. 

Thank you, I'll have to check these songs out. I already have been playing Soltera, I love the lyrics :heart: And I agree he got good energy, he does seem like a very nice person.

whore
11 hours ago, Musicisfreedom said:

Doesn't Maluma have one..?:poot:

That’s what they are saying. Men typically get a pass because they are men. Even Nicki Minaj, the Queen of Rap, has had controversies with her lyrics, while the males dominating the industry (who say a lot worse) somehow have close to none. Even Chris Brown is having a successful comeback so far, as if everyone is forgetting why he has initially left. 

Someone else had made a good point that it’s the fan bases they cater to. The people that are listening to the homophobic, misogynistic rap songs are mostly straight men. Because these people are not being suppressed, they don’t care what is being said. Meanwhile, people like Jennifer Lopez have a sizable female and gay following, so if she says the N-word in a song, she’ll get backlash. Or if Nicki Minaj has a lyric that could be taken as homophobic/transphobic, she’ll get backlash. 

Archived