💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why do rappers get a free pass?

Musicisfreedom

Featured Posts

Musicisfreedom

So, I've been listening to Maluma a lot lately (thanks to Madonna), and I read about his big controversy about his song Cuatro Babys, and how everyone labeled him a sexist and tried to get the song removed. And while I agree that it's problematic, it made me wonder why rappers don't normally get this kind of treatment? Eminem uses derogatory language towards both women and lgbt people, and G-Eazy has a lot of sexist lyrics. Lil Pump(I think?) And 6ix9ine say the N word and are not black. Almost all male rap I've listened to is problematic. And they are constantly doing bad things, or associating with people who do. 

Look at Gaga, how she was so pressured to talk about R. Kelly. Or how Madonna is criticized for literally everything. Or in the case of Maluma, he has songs that empower women and LGBT people, and is a very respectable person generally. But yet rappers get a free pass and can be the sh*ttiest people.

It's really odd to me. I don't get it. What are your thoughts on this?

Bitch I'm Madonna

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OBEY

they aren't hold to the same standards and their public (mostly str8 males) doesn't care about these issues 

Musicisfreedom
1 minute ago, OBEY said:

they aren't hold to the same standards and their public (mostly str8 males) doesn't care about these issues 

They should considering they have so much influence in the world right now and could make a huge impact :saladga: its so sad

Bitch I'm Madonna

androiduser

because aggressive lyrics and bashing is part of the rap genre, it's literally the DNA of rap... just like heavy metal gets a free pass with the occult themes, Satan references etc.

Fee Dee
7 minutes ago, Musicisfreedom said:

They should considering they have so much influence in the world right now and could make a huge impact :saladga: its so sad

I don't know. The world doesn't expect much when you're Lil ___. Looking at you Lil Xan.

Musicisfreedom
Just now, androiduser said:

because aggressive lyrics and bashing is part of the rap genre, it's literally the DNA of rap... just like heavy metal gets a free pass with the occult themes, Satan references etc.

But occult themes is not necessarily hateful to people, nor problematic like sexism and homophobia. There's a huge difference in my opinion. Also, metal doesn't get a free pass because it is not in the mainstream. Rap is everywhere, the dominant genre right now (or at least one). 

Bitch I'm Madonna

androiduser
5 minutes ago, Musicisfreedom said:

But occult themes is not necessarily hateful to people, nor problematic like sexism and homophobia. There's a huge difference in my opinion. Also, metal doesn't get a free pass because it is not in the mainstream. Rap is everywhere, the dominant genre right now (or at least one). 

I'm not saying it's right, and I agree that is is problematic, but it's the essence of the genre... street talk, street way of thinking, hard life with the hard outlook on life, resulting in misogyny and homophobia, so the lyrics reflect all of that.

River

Because penis

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

nathantj594

It’s cause they’re straight and moreso cause they’re guys. If Iggy said the n word, she’d get stung up by her lace front on parliament hill. 

And Paula Abdul ain’t got [BLEEP] on me!

PunkTheFunk
1 hour ago, Musicisfreedom said:

6ix9ine

He got a free pass to jail

mqdefault.jpg

Musicisfreedom
13 minutes ago, River said:

Because penis

Doesn't Maluma have one..?:poot:

Bitch I'm Madonna

NCgaga
1 hour ago, Musicisfreedom said:

So, I've been listening to Maluma a lot lately (thanks to Madonna), and I read about his big controversy about his song Cuatro Babys, and how everyone labeled him a sexist and tried to get the song removed. And while I agree that it's problematic, it made me wonder why rappers don't normally get this kind of treatment? Eminem uses derogatory language towards both women and lgbt people, and G-Eazy has a lot of sexist lyrics. Lil Pump(I think?) And 6ix9ine say the N word and are not black. Almost all male rap I've listened to is problematic. And they are constantly doing bad things, or associating with people who do. 

Look at Gaga, how she was so pressured to talk about R. Kelly. Or how Madonna is criticized for literally everything. Or in the case of Maluma, he has songs that empower women and LGBT people, and is a very respectable person generally. But yet rappers get a free pass and can be the sh*ttiest people.

It's really odd to me. I don't get it. What are your thoughts on this?

HIP HOP listeners are predominately hypocrits- not all, but most. They get so offended when a certain type of person is misogynistic, homophobic, or racist- but as soon as a rapper does it- it's ok because it's a good club song. Trendy hip hop is not even art anymore. It's mumbly and the lyrics are so dumb and offensive. The genre is in need of a revolution. 

Really- Eminem and G Easy are your only examples? Almost every single male rapper is misogynistic and most are homophobic. I've always wondered why they get a free pass. Hip hop has a very problematic history of misogyny and homophobia. If pop culture and society has had to confront this in other genres, hip hop has to be accountable as well. The only problem,  -the listeners give them a free pass. 

NCgaga
1 hour ago, androiduser said:

I'm not saying it's right, and I agree that is is problematic, but it's the essence of the genre... street talk, street way of thinking, hard life with the hard outlook on life, resulting in misogyny and homophobia, so the lyrics reflect all of that.

But we can't make excuses. Everyone must be held to the same standard. There is a reason for supremacy. There is a reason for Misogony .There is a reason for homophobia. There is a reason for racism. Everything and everyone must be held accountable. Hip hop is no different. But it's really up to the listeners to do that. 

Musicisfreedom
3 minutes ago, NCgaga said:

HIP HOP listeners are predominately hypocrits- not all, but most. They get so offended when a certain type of person is misogynistic, homophobic, or racist- but as soon as a rapper does it- it's ok because it's a good club song. Trendy hip hop is not even art anymore. It's mumbly and the lyrics are so dumb and offensive. The genre is in need of a revolution. 

Really- Eminem and G Easy are your only examples? Almost every single male rapper is misogynistic and most are homophobic. I've always wondered why they get a free pass. Hip hop has a very problematic history of misogyny and homophobia. If pop culture and society has had to confront this in other genres, hip hop has to be accountable as well. The only problem,  -the listeners give them a free pass. 

They are some of the only ones I've listened to. I used to like G-Eazy until I started paying attention to his lyrics. I think MOST are incredibly misogynistic and some homophobic

Bitch I'm Madonna

Musicisfreedom
3 minutes ago, NCgaga said:

But we can't make excuses. Everyone must be held to the same standard. There is a reason for supremacy. There is a reason for Misogony .There is a reason for homophobia. There is a reason for racism. Everything and everyone must be held accountable. Hip hop is no different. But it's really up to the listeners to do that. 

Amen to this

Bitch I'm Madonna

Archived