💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why do rappers get a free pass?

Musicisfreedom

Featured Posts

Whispering

The core, vocal fan bases are different. Straight males and people who don’t care vs gay fan bases. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Musicisfreedom
5 hours ago, Loeppke said:

That’s what they are saying. Men typically get a pass because they are men. Even Nicki Minaj, the Queen of Rap, has had controversies with her lyrics, while the males dominating the industry (who say a lot worse) somehow have close to none. Even Chris Brown is having a successful comeback so far, as if everyone is forgetting why he has initially left. 

Someone else had made a good point that it’s the fan bases they cater to. The people that are listening to the homophobic, misogynistic rap songs are mostly straight men. Because these people are not being suppressed, they don’t care what is being said. Meanwhile, people like Jennifer Lopez have a sizable female and gay following, so if she says the N-word in a song, she’ll get backlash. Or if Nicki Minaj has a lyric that could be taken as homophobic/transphobic, she’ll get backlash. 

That's a good point, actually. Maluma seems to have a very female oriented fanbase as well as even some gays. So maybe that's why he seems to get more backlash for things more than a lot of rappers do.

Bitch I'm Madonna

Musicisfreedom
3 hours ago, Whispering said:

The core, vocal fan bases are different. Straight males and people who don’t care vs gay fan bases. 

Really goes to show the lack of decency from a lot of straight males. :saladga:

Bitch I'm Madonna

SarahYuko

Not directly answering your question but this just reminds me of the time I listened to Rap God while reading the lyrics, and it was like I got punched in the face by Eminem himself. It was awful. I always knew he's a most respected figure in the genre and beyond; I expected his lyrics to be aggressive of course, but the rape references, the misognyny; it was especially distressing for me, being a survivor and all. I appreciate his immense talent but goddamn....

latina twilight

Ofc not generalizing, but most of the people who listen to those songs are anti-sJw & sNoWfLaKeS, so they don't give a damn, or they even find it cool.

"YOU USED TO BE SO KIND, I NEVER KNEW YOU HAD SUCH A DIRRTY MIND".

Jadeykins
12 minutes ago, SarahYuko said:

Not directly answering your question but this just reminds me of the time I listened to Rap God while reading the lyrics, and it was like I got punched in the face by Eminem himself. It was awful. I always knew he's a most respected figure in the genre and beyond; I expected his lyrics to be aggressive of course, but the rape references, the misognyny; it was especially distressing for me, being a survivor and all. I appreciate his immense talent but goddamn....

yeah his songs are triggering to me sometimes. he has a song called insane that is literally just him talking about getting sexually assaulted by an uncle. he can be ery problematic and i don't think him being a great rapper makes it acceptable. 

Economy

Their target audience doesn't care and their non target audience is so used to it that they become blind to it

Also it's so common in rap that it becomes white noise. There's no room in the media to make a case about this every week in rap :shrug:

Jose P

Never heard of the Maluma controversy. Maybe it was just an American issue, cause here in Latin America the song played everywhere for like 2 years. Only heard a few criticisms here and there. Regueton is very objectifying and sexist, not only Maluma does this. And Regueton artists are extremely popular over here. So I’d say they also get free passes, cause 99% of the people here sing those songs. And let’s not even talk about Latin trap. 

Trust me, most of the people who actually listen to the crap these rappers make are angsty teens that have horrible musical taste buds and it's ALWAYS blaring on around my school and it sucks :laughga:

So it's not so much they have a free pass, it's just that most of the people who listen to these nonchalant rappers just don't care, which are mostly all the tasteless teens making a new culture :saladga: :laughga:

Biggest Fan
22 hours ago, OBEY said:

they aren't hold to the same standards and their public (mostly str8 males) doesn't care about these issues 

Hold to the same standards? 

What do you mean ?

đŸ€–

OBEY
2 minutes ago, Biggest Fan said:

Hold to the same standards? 

What do you mean ?

usually rappers and male artists for example, are less involved in social issues like feminism, lgbtq+ etc so the standards are lower. for example if gaga says something homophobic she would get crucified, whereas if a rapper (Migos for exemple) does it the impact wouldn't be the same

ltlmnstr
1 minute ago, OBEY said:

usually rappers and male artists for example, are less involved in social issues like feminism, lgbtq+ etc so the standards are lower. for example if gaga says something homophobic she would get crucified, whereas if a rapper (Migos for exemple) does it the impact wouldn't be the same

Well nicki minaj has said the f-slur and transphobic lyrics in some of her songs. I think she apologized but the songs are still there to make money off of...

I’m starting to rethink Gaga pulling DWUW now. I thought it was good at first but now...idk

Biggest Fan
1 minute ago, OBEY said:

We have to support who ever stands with lgbtq+ ,of course that person losses support/backlash because it was all fake then all along. 

I think that’s why Gaga is constantly reminding everyone to be kind. 

đŸ€–

Archived