Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Yoü and I (MTV VMA 2011)

imnotyourbabe10

Featured Posts

imnotyourbabe10

Stumbled across this performance of Yoü and I again.  And I am so shook by the radical delivery -- the queerness intersecting with pop and rock n roll.  Not to mention the monologue prior to the performance.  :diane: 

One of her best (the video and various live incarnations including its first performance and those at TMB and so on). 

Just sharing some good memories.  Have a happy Saturday/Sunday, GGD!

EDIT:  This performance also gave us this beautiful gif of Dave Grohl

tumblr_m71176LBFA1qff2ilo6_250.gif

Suspiria

I regret not appreciating this more in the past... only now do I realise how radical and cool this was. The biggest star in the world doing full on drag on one of the world's biggest stages.

She was so dedicated to performance and art. She was truly something special.

Zander

That stumble almost off the stage with a concerned Adele looking on. :diane:

I first remember when Jo made an appearance (photographed for Vogue Homme 2010 as a new face) and how it took a while for fans to catch on it was her. I love what she’s doing with her career now but I loved those early days with her being really experimental with herself as an artist/performer and I think people tend to forget that about her. She spent the whole night in character... it was kinda brilliant. She just has so many standout moments it’s actually quite scary for someone 10 years into the game. 

imnotyourbabe10
11 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

I regret not appreciating this more in the past... only now do I realise how radical and cool this was. The biggest star in the world doing full on drag on one of the world's biggest stages.

She was so dedicated to performance and art. She was truly something special.

You said it so eloquently!  Very true -- I never understood this side of her when I should have.  Personally, I was too enveloped in gay college identity(ies) instead of the art of lgbtq performativtity.  She's always on the forefront and I wish we had a better idea of how or why -- even with Five Foot Two, I still don't quite understand why she's so radical! :icega: Am grateful nonetheless.

Miel

This was the night that made me realize that she was a different level of performer. A literal career defining performance, in my eyes. I'm very comfortable saying that her monologue as Jo rivals even the best of her scenes in ASIB.

Plus, the rendition of the song is so good. Fresh but with an interesting twist of uber-masculine classic rock.

3 points in and ready for more

Miel
1 hour ago, Unbeweavable said:

what they made us expect tho :messga:

The contrast is such a gag though. Love it.

3 points in and ready for more

KatieJudasGaga4

I don't want to be that person, but this performance was kinda messy. It's good, but a little messy.

1 hour ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

I don't want to be that person, but this performance was kinda messy. It's good, but a little messy.

One of her best performances of all time but she did stuff up her mic headpiece  and also fell off the stage towards the end hence why she was stumbling at the end of the song 

KatieJudasGaga4
1 minute ago, kerser said:

One of her best performances of all time but she did stuff up her mic headpiece  and also fell off the stage towards the end hence why she was stumbling at the end of the song 

Yes, that is what I meant. It's great, but a little messy, but love it!

Oriane

One of her best performances, I don't get why so many people say they hate it. She was completely in character, made a beautiful delivery of the song, it felt like a true raw rock performance and even Brian May joined her on stage. The "messiness" is what makes it even more perfect.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

RochestrMonstr

I preferred Joe in Y&I’s video over this appearance. 

This is a good performance, but was never one of my favorites. 

Her other VMA performances in 2013 and especially 2009 were superior in my opinion (Even though Y&I is the better song)

Smother Em Eh

One of her best and most underrated performances. It’s so slept on by this fanbase and just doesn’t get enough credit. I’m so fascinated by this performance. She took theatrics and performance art to the next level with this. It was so intriguing and actually quite unique. This officially established her as one of the best performers. She stole the night. (Well would have if Beyoncé didn’t technically steal it with her pregnancy announcement). 

This will go down in history. Literally no Artist has ever done anything like this. Long live Joe Calderone. Only Gaga could’ve pulled off this type of performance and I think she did it really really well, regardless of people saying it was “messy” & “cringey”.

I just wish we saw more of him. Wouldn’t it been AMAZING if she brought him back at the BTWB and sang You and I. That would’ve been :firega:

Or if she brought him back for Enigma! :staymad:

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Archived