Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Will Gaga dominate the 2020 Grammys?

Bradley

Featured Posts

Mr S
4 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Wait, how do you know it wasn't the result of just simply insufficient votes?

No one knows for sure but come on do you really think Ed Sheeran's huge selling album and huge hit were not one of the top vote getters? Literally every critic and expert predicted it to not only get nominated but win.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley
4 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

No one knows for sure but come on do you really think Ed Sheeran's huge selling album and huge hit were not one of the top vote getters? Literally every critic and expert predicted it to not only get nominated but win.

:air:

I think we have very different understanding of how the veto works.

In my understanding, the veto is only invoked when the album is like critically panned or something. The Grammy committee does not interfere with the voting process because it is damn disruptive to an already established procedural system, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Divide, Reputation, A Star Is Born, Jay-Z's album are not panned, if they don't get nominated, it's because they didn't get enough votes. You can't just assume that they had enough votes when the very possibility of they didn't, is there.

Mr S
1 minute ago, Bradley said:

:air:

I think we have very different understanding of how the veto works.

In my understanding, the veto is only invoked when the album is like critically panned or something. The Grammy committee does not interfere with the voting process because it is damn disruptive to an already established procedural system, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Divide, Reputation, A Star Is Born, Jay-Z's album are not panned, if they don't get nominated, it's because they didn't get enough votes. You can't just assume that they had enough votes when the very possibility of they didn't, is there.

The panel receives a list of the top 20 votes. It narrows it down to 8. It does this to ensure there is a good mix and representation. They sit down in a meeting and discuss what should be in the top 8. This is all fact.

The snubbing of Divide and others is assumption but it's also pretty obvious it happened and generally agreed upon by experts. Divide received enough votes to get nominated and even win the pop album category yet Melodrama got enough votes to get into AOTY but not the pop album? This is as clear as evidence as there is that Divide was snubbed. They did not want a mediocre pop album to win.

JR Gg
30 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

They blocked Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift in AOTY...

Ed Sheeran had a mediocre album. Makes perfect sense to block him. Taylor had her lowest reviewed album and she wasn't popular at the time.

Plus, it may not be blocked. The Grammys committee choose the final nominees based on the Top 15 or 20 most voted, which is not ranked. Their albums were not better reviewed by others, plus Taylor already won 2 AOTYs, so the committee simply chose better albums.

Ed Sheeran's blockbuster duet Perfect can't even make it in Pop Duo Performance in a weak 7-nominee lineup by POPULAR VOTE. Him missing AOTY the previous year isn't a big shocker.

Albums that sell well don't necessarily mean you're guaranteed a nomination.

JR Gg
32 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

There are no experts. They are merely subpar journalists  who do mediocre predictions of what may be 'popular' among Grammy voters. 

Sheeran and Gaga are two different artists btw. Sheeran may have the sales, but Gaga is a veteran. Bear in mind, out of her 5 albums, only ARTPOP and Joanne didn't get nominated for AOTY because they were not popular enough.

ASIB is by far, the most culturally impactful album of the period. Paired up with the producers and songwriters involved, ASIB will likely get a great portion of pop, country, folk voters. The committee is very unlikely to block her. Like, she's a popular and respected artists. The committee only blocks albums that are either mediocre, unrepresentative of the period or artists that don't have enough respect from the industry. Gaga doesn't fit in any of those three. And they won't care if Bradley Cooper's name is attached on it. Gaga is the executive producer, songwriter of the album and it will definitely be remembered as Gaga's album, not his, despite being a "duet album".

Mr S
1 hour ago, JR Gg said:

Ed Sheeran had a mediocre album. Makes perfect sense to block him. Taylor had her lowest reviewed album and she wasn't popular at the time.

Plus, it may not be blocked. The Grammys committee choose the final nominees based on the Top 15 or 20 most voted, which is not ranked. Their albums were not better reviewed by others, plus Taylor already won 2 AOTYs, so the committee simply chose better albums.

Ed Sheeran's blockbuster duet Perfect can't even make it in Pop Duo Performance in a weak 7-nominee lineup by POPULAR VOTE. Him missing AOTY the previous year isn't a big shocker.

Albums that sell well don't necessarily mean you're guaranteed a nomination.

I'm not saying Ed Sheeran didn't deserve to be blocked. Just saying that we was. And Bruno Mars had similar reviews and was not. Again, they didn't want a mediocre pop album winning. I'm not saying its bad or good, just that it happened. The point is, the committee can pick other albums.

"Perfect" duet is a remix from an album that already won. Plus the "duet" is just another artist recording an already hit song. He would have got into pop solo if he just submitted the solo  version.

I'm not saying albums that sell well are guaranteed a nomination. But it's obvious Divide was one of the top vote getters. But the committee looks at otehr things. Is this his best work? Is this a diverse lineup. Is this mediocre despite the big sales? Do we want this album to win and represent the best of the year? Etc.

I can see the committee bringing up points in a similar way with ASIB. It sold well and it's well received but didn't we just reward this project last year? Doesn't LG have a new single out right now (assuming LG6 lead single is released soon), could we wait for that era instead? Do we want an actor who has only performed live 1-2 times, isn't a real musician, and will likely never record music again to win the grand prize? etc

Again, I think ASIB will be one of the top votes, even the highest. But I can see the committee choosing not to select it. But if it DOES get in, I think it's winning.

Bradley
9 hours ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

The panel receives a list of the top 20 votes. It narrows it down to 8. It does this to ensure there is a good mix and representation. They sit down in a meeting and discuss what should be in the top 8. This is all fact.

The snubbing of Divide and others is assumption but it's also pretty obvious it happened and generally agreed upon by experts. Divide received enough votes to get nominated and even win the pop album category yet Melodrama got enough votes to get into AOTY but not the pop album? This is as clear as evidence as there is that Divide was snubbed. They did not want a mediocre pop album to win.

Ok, first of all, I kinda need direct sources as to these statements, because I feel like in my understanding, the 8 nominated work are simply the top 8 highest voted work.

And also in my understanding, the veto is a rarity, an exception, something that doesn't happen as often as you think. Do you know how hard it is to squeeze into top 8? There are like countless albums that are released in a year. Just because Reputation was successful doesn't mean that there were definitely enough Grammy voters who voted for it.

It is very easy to fail to get a nomination just because you weren't voted enough, simply having commercial success isn't enough.

Spoiler

What I'm trying to say is that, when a piece of work isn't nominated, the most usual scenario is that it simply didn't garner enough votes, and the veto according to my understanding, is a last resort, like a safeguard that is only invoked only when absolutely necessary, the very mere definition itself indicates that the Grammy committee tries NOT to use it because they want to let the established voting system to the deciding work.

In the event that albums are kinda decent, and especially when we're talking about Divide and Reputation, which are not really panned or controversial, there really is no reason to invoke the panel to come and say 'no'. It is disruptive to an already-established voting system.

• 2 months later...
PACGAGA

Gaga has a big chance on getting nominated, probably the lockiest lock here, but winning is a different story. As it is a weak year for music, the ASIB hype is slowly fading away which is natural for movie franchises. Its still charting pretty high on BB and iTunes but as we've seen before this isnt an automatic winner. I think the biggest mistake here is not pushing the other songs to the same extent as the way they pushed Shallow. No further promotion after the Oscars, no performances, interviews, music videos, other songs getting radio. It seems like ASIB already got its Grammy love so the Acad. might push it aside. I mean, Gaga is doing makeup now and Bradley is on post production for The Joker. They both moved on it looks like. 

Billboard posted their list of strong contender and ASIB wasn't on there. (The same guy that works for Billboard works for HITSDD too.)

When We All Fall Asleep... Billie Eilish

Thank U, Next... Ariana Grande

Homecoming: The Live Album.... Beyonce

When I Get Home.... Solange

Igor... Tyler, The Creator

Ventura.... Anderson .Pak

Free Spirit... Khalid

Desperate Man.... Eric Church

As weird it would be I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to Billie. She had the biggest project out the year and has the acclaim from critics as well as the audience love. They could give it to Beyonce as a consolation for the controversy behind Lemonade/Beyonce. Id love of they gave it Solange, she has one of the most acclaimed albums of the year along with Beyonce. 

I still expect to see Gaga up there though, they're not gonna look past the best selling album of the year and NOT give her a nod. But, winning is different story and I don't feel like they have the momentum anymore. 

DonatellaPop

she will if she stops choosing wrong singles and making poor decisions 

https://blacklivesmatter.com/

Economy
On 5/18/2019 at 6:20 AM, PinkPop said:

Music has been so crap this year, literally what even is the Hot 100? Sorry, I'll change that - POP music has been crap this year. We need Rihanna, Gaga etc to save it!!

Billie Eilish releases horrendous music. I know that's going to be an unpopular opinion but seriously what is even going on?

Take back that blasphemous statement :grr:

chris pratt dinosaurs GIF by Omaze

@Morphine Prince @Billie Eilish @Admin let's kill ha 

star trek vague attempt at creativity GIF

ElectricKing
2 minutes ago, Billie Eilish said:

@PinkPop listen to Joanne, ARTPOP and anti :lolly:  now that's  horrendous music!

17 hours ago, Economy said:

Take back that blasphemous statement :grr:

chris pratt dinosaurs GIF by Omaze

@Morphine Prince @Billie Eilish @Admin let's kill ha 

star trek vague attempt at creativity GIF

GUYS THIS IS SUCH AN OLD POST lmao

I listened more to Billie in Albums Arena and there are some good songs on her album - 'bad guy' just really really put me off

and btw - Joanne, ARTPOP and ANTI are fantastic albums :ohwell:

Economy
4 hours ago, PinkPop said:

GUYS THIS IS SUCH AN OLD POST lmao

I listened more to Billie in Albums Arena and there are some good songs on her album - 'bad guy' just really really put me off

and btw - Joanne, ARTPOP and ANTI are fantastic albums :ohwell:

Sorry @Billie Eilish I agree with @PinkPop that those are great albums... Well ARTPOP is meh... But I loved Anti and Joanne!

As for Billie u judged her as horrendous music off of 1 single? Singles are often not even an accurate representation of an artist :madge:

ElectricKing
28 minutes ago, Economy said:

Sorry @Billie Eilish I agree with @PinkPop that those are great albums... Well ARTPOP is meh... But I loved Anti and Joanne!

As for Billie u judged her as horrendous music off of 1 single? Singles are often not even an accurate representation of an artist :madge:

no it was pretty much all the singles she's dropped

Archived